• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why is Bridgewater dropping?

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the best thing for bridgewater to do is not go in the first round and go to a team that has a good situation and not have to change the world when he gets to training camp. If he goes to a team like the jaguars or browns where he has to do A LOT of work to try and turn things around might be his downfall. If he gets drafted in the 2nd round to a team like the texans (assuming they draft clowny) the vikings, or bucs all whom have pretty good teams just didnt have good QB play he can just come in and manage the game and hand the ball off.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to disagree with your thoughts on RG3. I watched him a bunch in college and he can go thru his reads when given time. He also throws the long ball on target like no one else.
Now his problem is that he is skinny and can't take the hits. I think he rushed his come back, not sure if he is the same QB since coming back.

How much time we talking? Look if Marty McFly pulled up and tossed RG3 in the damn car we'd be on the same page, but it just doesn't work that way. From what I watched, RG3 was a "First option/flight" QB in college. Any QB can go through progressions if given enough time - but most successful QBs can do this quickly and accurately.

RG3 was not one of those people coming out of college. Could he develop into that? Sure, it's possible. Probable? No. Most QBs that couldn't read Ds out of college never picked up the ability to read them in the NFL. It's a trait/characteristic you have to have. NFL moves too fast to try and learn that attribute, it's gotta be learned in college/prior.

We'll see how RG3 does... I never was and am still not betting anything on him. His ROY was a joke IMO, but hey, that's my IMO and I'm obviously biased since I called him busting.

J_E_T_S

Rihanna >>> Emma
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not reading 3 pages.

First post "I dont understand".......welll tell us why.

If you have a list of QB's who had tough combines/pro days.......great. If not.......your point is mute, outside of personal opinion.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because he didn't look good in shorts and a t-shirt?

I never understand this whole concept of dropping players stock because they don't look good in t-shirt and shorts. All I know is that when Teddy played under pressure in big games and when the games actually counted, he looked damn good.

He will be a steal for whoever picks him up in round 2

It's more than that. Bridgewater is getting criticized for lacking the frame and arm strength of an NFL quarterback. He is "sliding" because NFL scouts are telling sports journalists that Carr and Bortles are moving up on their big boards.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much time we talking? Look if Marty McFly pulled up and tossed RG3 in the damn car we'd be on the same page, but it just doesn't work that way. From what I watched, RG3 was a "First option/flight" QB in college. Any QB can go through progressions if given enough time - but most successful QBs can do this quickly and accurately.

RG3 was not one of those people coming out of college. Could he develop into that? Sure, it's possible. Probable? No. Most QBs that couldn't read Ds out of college never picked up the ability to read them in the NFL. It's a trait/characteristic you have to have. NFL moves too fast to try and learn that attribute, it's gotta be learned in college/prior.

We'll see how RG3 does... I never was and am still not betting anything on him. His ROY was a joke IMO, but hey, that's my IMO and I'm obviously biased since I called him busting.

His passing stats were great in his rookie season, hardly a joke.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's dropped from the #1 overall conversation for sure.

Bridgewater has always been one of the top 4 QBs in this class with a 1st rd projection...any thoughts of him going in the 2nd round are misguided imo...not that I think he's a great NFL prospect, but because too many teams are QB needy. It don't see him getting past TB, new regimes like their own QBs. But, it could happen.

A bad pro day should get you knocked down a few spots, but game tape is normally the highest weighted factor...this entire crop at the top could bomb and it wouldn't surprise me. I think Luck and to some degree RW have made some people think the transition is getting easier...I don't think it is.

Side note...HOU is in a tough spot...it's doubtful they make the playoffs next season with Clowney and status qou @ QB, and the same is probably true if they take Bortles or any other rookie QB. If they think Bortles can make them competitive with IND in the the long run, they will take the QB...otherwise they will take Clowney.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much time we talking? Any QB can go through progressions if given enough time - but most successful QBs can do this quickly and accurately.

RG3 was not one of those people coming out of college. Could he develop into that? Sure, it's possible. Probable? No. Most QBs that couldn't read Ds out of college never picked up the ability to read them in the NFL. It's a trait/characteristic... that's my IMO and I'm obviously biased since I called him busting.

Reading D...that's true, but not entirely. You're right, any QB can go thru 3 progressions with 5 seconds to work with...it's the special guys that can do it in 3 secs, and we're talking about maybe 3 or 4 guys playing now.

IMO the difference between the running/mobile QBs and the traditional drop back is the drop back guy's training from the outset has been to get the ball to the playmakers. Whereas at least in CFB, mobile guys made a lot of plays themselves running...the transition is harder, but Vick became a much better pocket passer, Cunningham, McNabb as time went on.

Being a staff under-pressure, WAS went with what they thought RG3 could execute the best right away...thus the read option...Shanny hadn't run that anywhere else. He wouldn't have had as great a season running a prostyle OFC, but he would've been a year further along development wise..

depraved

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,130.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Bridgewater falls to the second rnd and we draft clowney with the first that would be a pretty good start to the draft... Won't happen but Texan fans can dream a little

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because none of this year's QBs is really a high-first-round grade and there are really good players at other positions?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep...gotta have those pinkys to catch those balls wif.

Maybe this year...:whistle:

Might be placed in the slot depending on the draft... Mike Evans is very high on the radar

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SB XL... Yea that was a tough one to watch for both sides. Ben played HORRIBLE but somehow PIT still found a way to win. Cheers to Cowher & Co.

PIT "believes" they are grooming Landry Jones (drafted last year) as of now... But I don't think he is the answer. He looked terrible in camps last offseason! I hope the FO has a plan, but I would imagine if Landry doesn't show vast improvement this offseason/preseason then they will draft a QB in the 1st couple rounds next year. But I wouldn't be surprised if they take a project type QB later in this draft (Logan Thomas maybe?).

Ben... PIT has been in heavy talks with Ben's agent already this offseason. Colbert has already stated that Ben WILL retire a Steeler so I would imagine that if he isn't extended after June 1st (PIT gains $8 mil in cap room for cutting ties with Woodley) then he will be extended next offseason Priority 1.

Health... Ben had his first full season since 2008 last year. Shocking, I know! But now that the O-line play is starting to surface I think Ben will stay upright more. He will still continue to play the same way regardless of how well the line blocks, so his health will always be an issue. He was making smarter decisions last season, so maybe he has turned over a new leaf? The main position that has been plagued by injuries has been the O-line. It has been a constant musical-chairs-type rotation year after year.

Tomlin... I've exhausted myself with this debate so all I will say is... Tomlin doesn't receive as much credit as he should. He proved it down the stretch last season.

Landry...I don't think they're sold on him, but felt a need to draft a young guy after having 3 vet QBs on the roster the last 2 years...as you know even with the turnover, there is still a playoffs or bust mentality in PIT...I think PIT is in much better shape now if Ben goes down.

Tomlin...I think as long as he's there, the debate will be alive...I would look at Tomlin more as a fluke if he never got them back to the SB, but twice tells me he's a pretty good coach...that said, he's not the player development guy that Cowher was.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's dropped from the #1 overall conversation for sure.

Bridgewater has always been one of the top 4 QBs in this class with a 1st rd projection...any thoughts of him going in the 2nd round are misguided imo...not that I think he's a great NFL prospect, but because too many teams are QB needy. It don't see him getting past TB, new regimes like their own QBs. But, it could happen.

Not misguided at all. He could very well fall into the 2nd round. In fact, just look at the recent media big boards on Bridgewater:

NFL Network - 12th best player
ESPN and CBS Sports - 15th best player
Fox Sports - 10th best player

After the Vikings pick at #8, there isn't a quarterback need until you get to the Cardinals at #20. After that, you have the Browns at #26. If neither side wants a quarterback in the late 1st round, then Bridgewater is looking at the 2nd round.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not misguided at all. He could very well fall into the 2nd round. In fact, just look at the recent media big boards on Bridgewater:

NFL Network - 12th best player
ESPN and CBS Sports - 15th best player
Fox Sports - 10th best player

After the Vikings pick at #8, there isn't a quarterback need until you get to the Cardinals at #20. After that, you have the Browns at #26. If neither side wants a quarterback in the late 1st round, then Bridgewater is looking at the 2nd round.

Ok...I concede, it's possible he could go in the 2nd round, but I still think it's more likely that he goes in the 1st. round...

To play around with a quick "what if" mock. Although I think TB would pick him, I can see him dropping out of the top 10...Between the QBs, Clowney, Mack,Barr and maybe 3 of the OT, 2 at least...there is enough talent to push him out of the top 10.

The next wave...I can see STL with @13 making a statement. You mentioned AZ & CLE, I would add CIN.

It's possible. Note, I'm not suggesting Bridgewater is a great prospect...just based on supply and demand...unless he does something to really hurt himself, he should go in the 1st.