• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why I decided to go.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me begin by making it perfectly clear that my ONLY connection to the NFL has been my rooting interest for my hometown team. Outside of the 16 games played by this team, NFL football is and has been absent in my home. I cannot emphasize in strong enough terms how gut wrenching this decision was to sever ties with the one thing that kept me tethered to professional football.

Understand something; I didn’t decide to leave until it became clear to me that I could no longer support Dan Snyder and unfortunately, the team that he’s associated with. As most here know, I am one, like most , who has been as vocal (written) as any other on this board when disagreeing with objectionable football decisions, futility, that comes with 20 years of bad football, heated and sometimes personal disagreements on the “Politics” board, and of course that long stand- alone debate over the name change. It seemed as if nothing would drive me away, that is until this happened…

“We, the National Football League, condemn racism and the systematic oppression of black people,” Goodell said. “We, the National Football League, admit we were wrong for not listening to NFL players earlier and encourage all to speak out and peacefully protest.

“We, the National Football League, believe black lives matter. I personally protest with you and want to be part of the much-needed change in this country. Without black players, there would be no National Football League. And the protests around the country are emblematic of the centuries of silence, inequality and oppression of black players, coaches, fans and staff.”

Almost immediately after this public utterance, I took a beat to consider what was missing in a historically important statement, delivered with the blessings of his bosses and finally realizing that considering the NFL’s history, the statement did little to make people believe his sentiment. So, what else was missing? Other voices!, specifically, those of Jerry Jones, Robert Kraft, and the one team owner whose franchise is uniquely tethered to the issues that the commissioner forced out of his throat…Dan Snyder!

My move wasn’t about the political nature of these protests, nothing uttered by the commissioner changed my mind, I’m not, nor was I ever upset about any particular topic. I don’t lose control of the ability to employ reason when subject matter is uncomfortable and/or I am the only one defending my position on a given topic.

Mr. Snyder (it’s called respect) could have stepped up, as he’s done on occasion, instead of cowering behind a veil of silence, to defend his franchise. Despite the removal of the GPM memorial, renaming the lower bowl to honor Bobby Mitchell, we’ve heard nothing, pro or con, in defense of his franchise neither before nor after conceding these connections to a racist past. I’m sure that some will argue against my position citing Snyder’s right to remain silent, I’ll respect that on one condition... respect my right to hold my own.

People love this team, some love the name, others don’t, but how does a team owner, who now wants a change of culture, instill a sense of family, expect some semblance of pride and, as the commissioner said, “condemn racism,” admit that, “We were wrong for not listening to NFL players earlier,” yet not consider that there would be a growing number of players and fans alike who would object to his silence?

I’m not sure if any of you remember a thread that I started, questioning whether or not Snyder should make a statement, but @dad does, and we agreed that it would become too political. It was at that time that I began making my decision to stay or go. As financial pressure mounts on Snyder, he will probably yield to that pressure, make appropriate changes with respect to the team name, but that won’t bring me back to the NFL. What will? Well, evidence that this team is not owned and operated by a coward!
Sports leagues should not be involved in politics, period. It's an escape for most people. If I see protests against my flag, messages supporting anarchist groups on shoes and uniforms, etc... I'm turning it off. Period.

Snyder has done nothing wrong, except for constantly fielding a crappy team.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me begin by making it perfectly clear that my ONLY connection to the NFL has been my rooting interest for my hometown team. Outside of the 16 games played by this team, NFL football is and has been absent in my home. I cannot emphasize in strong enough terms how gut wrenching this decision was to sever ties with the one thing that kept me tethered to professional football.

Understand something; I didn’t decide to leave until it became clear to me that I could no longer support Dan Snyder and unfortunately, the team that he’s associated with. As most here know, I am one, like most , who has been as vocal (written) as any other on this board when disagreeing with objectionable football decisions, futility, that comes with 20 years of bad football, heated and sometimes personal disagreements on the “Politics” board, and of course that long stand- alone debate over the name change. It seemed as if nothing would drive me away, that is until this happened…

“We, the National Football League, condemn racism and the systematic oppression of black people,” Goodell said. “We, the National Football League, admit we were wrong for not listening to NFL players earlier and encourage all to speak out and peacefully protest.

“We, the National Football League, believe black lives matter. I personally protest with you and want to be part of the much-needed change in this country. Without black players, there would be no National Football League. And the protests around the country are emblematic of the centuries of silence, inequality and oppression of black players, coaches, fans and staff.”

Almost immediately after this public utterance, I took a beat to consider what was missing in a historically important statement, delivered with the blessings of his bosses and finally realizing that considering the NFL’s history, the statement did little to make people believe his sentiment. So, what else was missing? Other voices!, specifically, those of Jerry Jones, Robert Kraft, and the one team owner whose franchise is uniquely tethered to the issues that the commissioner forced out of his throat…Dan Snyder!

My move wasn’t about the political nature of these protests, nothing uttered by the commissioner changed my mind, I’m not, nor was I ever upset about any particular topic. I don’t lose control of the ability to employ reason when subject matter is uncomfortable and/or I am the only one defending my position on a given topic.

Mr. Snyder (it’s called respect) could have stepped up, as he’s done on occasion, instead of cowering behind a veil of silence, to defend his franchise. Despite the removal of the GPM memorial, renaming the lower bowl to honor Bobby Mitchell, we’ve heard nothing, pro or con, in defense of his franchise neither before nor after conceding these connections to a racist past. I’m sure that some will argue against my position citing Snyder’s right to remain silent, I’ll respect that on one condition... respect my right to hold my own.

People love this team, some love the name, others don’t, but how does a team owner, who now wants a change of culture, instill a sense of family, expect some semblance of pride and, as the commissioner said, “condemn racism,” admit that, “We were wrong for not listening to NFL players earlier,” yet not consider that there would be a growing number of players and fans alike who would object to his silence?

I’m not sure if any of you remember a thread that I started, questioning whether or not Snyder should make a statement, but @dad does, and we agreed that it would become too political. It was at that time that I began making my decision to stay or go. As financial pressure mounts on Snyder, he will probably yield to that pressure, make appropriate changes with respect to the team name, but that won’t bring me back to the NFL. What will? Well, evidence that this team is not owned and operated by a coward!
wtf is this doing in the politics forum?!? Dumb mod move. With that being said. Join the real Washington NFL bandwagon: Seahawks baby!!

Inquisitor95

Unexpected Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why this decided to go the PF?

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks to everyone for understanding my position. It took all that I had to decide to cut the last remaining tie to the NFL. The worse part was separating from this forum. To one and all, you became family to me and hopefully I can comfortably return when there's a realization that Washington is a member of the NFL but that the NFL doesn't represent Washington. Money is driving current events, so a name change won't change my mind.
As mentioned before, I'm here until this thread plays out.

If the Washington Tidal Basin's win a Superbowl would you return?

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Washington Tidal Basin's win a Superbowl would you return?
That has about as much of a chance of happening as me in a threesome with Kate Beckinsale and Zoe Saldana watching Vandy beat Oregon State in a CFP title game being played in Mississippi.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wtf is this doing in the politics forum?!? Dumb mod move. With that being said. Join the real Washington NFL bandwagon: Seahawks baby!!

Why this decided to go the PF?

I had the same thought. This is a Redskins board thread but that mod for some reason decided to put all the drama from that board here where posters don't give a shit.

Duke of Douchington

Needle Mover
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Redskins mods are flushing all their threads to the PF.

lulzy Rookie message board mod move.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also, maybe a little better passing game.

Duke of Douchington

Needle Mover
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Redskins mods are flushing all their threads to the PF.

lulzy Rookie message board mod move.

Much respect to that Skins mod ITT though, who is airing out the entire Redskins board's dirty laundry in public. There's usually an unwritten rule about that kind of shit, but he's going scorched Earth and that's great.

200.gif

skinzfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the only question left is how much will the NFL pay Snyder to change the name?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry i made a mistake moving the threads here , it wont happen again. they were getting political and i felt this is where they should go

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don’t you have a CHAZ to go in and die?
nope, go hawks!

edit: FWIW I made my original comments when this thread was in the PF. Wouldn't have done so in the Redskins team forum. :suds:

ThereIsNoPlace

The New Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry i made a mistake moving the threads here , it wont happen again. they were getting political and i felt this is where they should go
You're a good dude, dad...just fun to fuck with you.

Foremost, thank you for your service to this country.