• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why does ESPN want the Big 12 to survive?

eaterfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Please explain this to me. I have been reading everywhere that ESPN wants the Big 12 to survive and may be willing to do whatever it takes to make that happen. Even grossly overpay for an OU network.

But back to the original question. Why does ESPN want the Big 12 to survive. They already carry at least part of the broadcasting rights for what seems like every one of the conferences that would be able to scoop up the marquis programs in the Big 12. It seems like it's an opportunity to pay those marquis schools a little more and those lower schools (see KSU, Baylor, ISU etc.) a lot less.

I guess they fear there will only be 4 or 5 conferences so losing out on a conference's rights will be devastating so they will be forced to pay more.

I don't get this fear though. Networks (ESPN and Fox) have agreed to split conference rights in the past and it will happen again. The same could happen with Comcast too.

Another thing is that some of the middling conferences may get better. Some of the Big 12 leftovers will go to the MWC and the Big East. Those conferences will get better and their rights will still be affordable. If there is enough talent out there for non-AQs to compete now there will be enough when there are 64 spots in the future.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice post.

I have no idea. I stopped trying to rationalize what ESPN does years ago. They will soon be the MTV of sports broadcasting and reporting.

Maybe they'll start doing reality tv soon.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know. But honestly the Big 12 makes sense from a regional stand point. A&M (and the other Texas school) are Southeast, and Nebraska isn't Big 10 nor CU PAC. It used to be a regional alignment, soon well have western teams in the eastern conferences and eastern teams in western conferences. Only the NFL could screw it up more.

IrishFutbol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Probably the Longhorn Network. ESPN wants to make money off of it.

If Texas joins the P10, they likely lose the network.

If Texas goes Indy, their revenue source becomes a lot more risky/volatile.

sooner4life130

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've been for keeping it alive. I realize I'm very much alone on this one but I hate the idea of 16 teams. I REALLY hate the idea of joining the PAC12. I do not want too see my Sooners have too play against the reffs again. Not too mention we're talking about the state of Oklahoma, people here consider going to the west coast a vacation not a every saturday occasion. I really don't think our fanbase could travel well for a whole season outside of our region.

TexasFight98VI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maybe b/c the Big 12 is still a tough as hell conference. Why not keep it alive? I think superconferences are a bad idea........

eaterfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Good news. Utah state is up 7 on #23 Auburn at half. Big 12 expansion candidate, I think so!

offshore1509

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maybe because if the B12 doesn't survive it would possibly mean a move to the Pac for several teams, the SEC wouldn't be the best conference then (on paper anyway), ESPN has too much invested in the sec.

eaterfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
9 Things and 1 Crazy Prediction

ESPN may actually be in favor of Texas to the Pac. It allows them auto distribution of the LHN. It offers them the chance to cut their losses and renegotiate their deal.

Oklahoma most likely will leave around a week from today.

Boomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I dont know what ESPN's Mega Plan is regarding their place in College Football but it seems that owning UT is an important first step.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anyone considered the ramifications of these Plains States teams joining the PAC? There will be a lot of late games and they say one thing that has hurt the PAC over the years is that SEC and BIG 10 teams play earlier thus getting more exposure. East Coast bias...Ever heard of it?

HighTide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been for keeping it alive. I realize I'm very much alone on this one but I hate the idea of 16 teams. I REALLY hate the idea of joining the PAC12. I do not want too see my Sooners have too play against the reffs again. Not too mention we're talking about the state of Oklahoma, people here consider going to the west coast a vacation not a every saturday occasion. I really don't think our fanbase could travel well for a whole season outside of our region.

Your fanbase will travel just fine. This isn't the 50's when most travel was limited to buses.

eaterfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Pac has decided to go with fewer late games than ever. This week only the Colorado @ Hawaii game was late.

As for travel. Any plan to save the Big 12 involves adding BYU and probably a team like ND or Pitt. How much cheaper is it to get from Norman to get to Pitt, Chicago or SLC than it is to get to SF, LA or Seattle?

Boomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Pac has decided to go with fewer late games than ever. This week only the Colorado @ Hawaii game was late.

As for travel. Any plan to save the Big 12 involves adding BYU and probably a team like ND or Pitt. How much cheaper is it to get from Norman to get to Pitt, Chicago or SLC than it is to get to SF, LA or Seattle?

I argree and although there might have been a little east cost bias back in the day i dont think there is much anymore. if someone could post a critical, national championship impacting showdown in the pac that wasnt atleast a prime time east coast game i'll by them beer.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think realistically the Big 12 will not look to teams too far east if it wants to expand and stay together. But since Boren is willing to go to the PAC the rest of the conference might agree to some teams in the west. The question remains though, who?

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may be to keep the BCS alive. Espn has a football game on every night in December and people watch football more so than basketball and hockey. Super conferences are a step towards playoffs. Espn needs to pay for Lou Holtzzeshesh some way or another!

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe b/c the Big 12 is still a tough as hell conference. Why not keep it alive? I think superconferences are a bad idea........

I agree that superconferences are not the way to go....but i do not feel that a broadcasting company should have anything to do with what goes on in the world of sports...they should be there to report, nothing else. but i guess thats pretty naive

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the PAC 16 is a dumb idea, and i hope ESPN and Baylor keep the big 12 alive. Adding BYU would be a start. Let the aggies go, no sense in keeping that horrible fan base, especially if they don't wanna be here.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice post.

I have no idea. I stopped trying to rationalize what ESPN does years ago. They will soon be the MTV of sports broadcasting and reporting.

Maybe they'll start doing reality tv soon.
I can see it now...

"7 athletes, picked to live in a house..."