• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why are there so many arm injuries for young pitchers

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There seems to be a epidemic of arm and shoulder injuries in young pitchers these days. This year already top line starters are going down to arm injuries. Here are some of the reasons I think are causing these injuries.

1) Too many kids are throwing curve balls and sliders too early in their lives. I cringe when I watch the Little League kids throwing curve ball after curve ball especially with bad mechanics. Coaches should develop these young kids showing them to throw fastballs and the change up which don't put as much stress as breaking pitches on the arm and shoulder.

2) Year around travel teams. You would be shocked on how many kids burn out and are used way too often . Way too many innings for these young kids throwing and some of the kids are afraid to tell coaches their arms are hurt or sore for losing their spot in the coaches plan. Some of these travel teams cost big bucks to play on and there is a little more pressure to perform. I believe in the days when kids played other sports besides baseball and learned to be all around athletes.

3) Too many young players nibble and nibble and run their pitch counts up. Kids need to learn how to spot the fastball and trust it. Challenge hitters and get more small pitch count innings.

4) Leg strength. In the old days we used our legs everywhere. We ran more,rode bikes,walked,and played outside everyday. Kids now are driven everywhere and stay more at home on the computer or play too many video games. All you have to do is watch Nolan Ryan and how much he used his legs in his pitching. Every game he was back in the weight room on the bike working his leg strength. He never had a arm problem. You have to use your legs when you are on the mound. Power.

5) The split finger fastball. I think the split has caused some damage especially when not thrown properly.

6) Not enough long toss to strengthen the arm. I am a real believer in long toss to stretch the arm muscles.

7) Lowering the mound. When they lowered the mounds it put more pressure on the pitchers. Mounds should be raised.

8) Calcium. I don't think kids drink enough milk these days. Everything is soda and Gatorade. Milk builds strong and healthy bones. Got milk.

Just a few of the reasons I think are causing arm problems.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great post, SYM.

All very good points, some I hadnt thought of before.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will add another.

Too many kids play only one sport and it lessens the use of other muscles. I played Football, Baseball and Basketball.

I was in shape for one and not the other. I remember going to football practice after a season of baseball and thinking I was in the best shape of my life. I am going to ace the workouts and not be sore like the year before. I was a fullback,TE, and ILB. After one practice my whole body was like I have a muscle there? I don't remember using that before. I think I will make it hurt to show it is there. Deep heating rub and a hot soak that night.

Same with basketball. I played PF. Thought after football I was in shape. My ankles, calves, shoulders, and hips begged to differ.

Also, I biked everywhere as a kid. I would bike 2 miles to go to the beach. Play catch on the beach and go for a swim and then bike home. Kids don't do that shit anymore. My dad would take me and my brother on long bike trips too. They lasted all day 8 hours of biking only stopping to get lunch. Some days we would go 50 miles. That made my thighs huge, so big I had a hard time finding pants. But my pitching was great and my legs did better in the squat on the days I was catching.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Played a lot of ball myself and did some coaching at PeeWee level. Your post is interesting and a lot of your points are spot on ... but ... interestingly enough .... most people fail to identify one of the biggest causes .... look at your little league team. Look at them practice. Fielding practice. Hitting practice .... very rarely, if ever will you see anything that resembles 'practice\learning' for a pitcher. In most cases it just happens to be a kid that has an arm and can throw with speed and some level of accuracy. These kids pitch games, batting practice for the team (at times). Most young pitchers get worn out before they even get a chance. The ones that survive seem to have programs in place (league level) that protect them.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of factors, some of which have been alluded to above:

1. Sport specialization at an early age -- pitchers are throwing year round from the time they're 14 or so. It used to be that we threw during baseball season and then played other sports. Buildup of massive number of pitches in the early years and then into HS, college/minors is wearing pitchers out.
2. Too many different pitches. It used to be that you needed a fastball and a curve in the majors. Now, if you don't have three (and preferably four) pitches you won't make it as a starter. Sliders, cutters, splits all exact a toll on the arm that a fastball doesn't.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've read some cases where parents and coaches are actually TRYING to get their kids to get injured and have Tommy John surgery at a young age just so they get past it. Many cases guys come back stronger. Now I think it's pretty obvious that is a myth, more and more guys are having TJ multiple times now.

Sad.