• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who's your favourite backup QB in the NFL?

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kelly Holcombe still playing?

Seriously though, its probably Rex. Fond memories of 1 season.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaun Hill, Troy Smith, Trent Dilfer, J.T. O'Sullivan, Tim Rattay, and Ken Dorsey. I just can't get over how awesome they played in 49ers colors. We would already have at least 1 Super Bowl title had they not bailed on us for those big Free Agent deals at Rent-a-Center.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does he have to be in the league? If he does, Hoyer doesn't count. You might as well say Gio Carmazzi or Andre Woodson .

Mine would be Mallett. That shouldn't come as a surprise to most on here.

That being said, I didn't give it much thought.

Holly crap, i didn't know Hoyer had been cut. I've never seen anything but good from this guy in his NFL career (all though that's pre-season stuff).

Mallett was my favorite Qb going into the draft last year. I can't believe he fell all the way to the 3rd round.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, not when it's about QBs and not when it's on a Niner message board. It may surprise you but I talk about other things to my friends and family outside of the Niners and outside of Alex Smith. I'll talk more about Kaep when he's the starting QB. I've admitted several times that I have a QB and receiver focus point, as in I don't know the other positions that well. And even then, I admit I'm biased. It's time to move on as far as you or others pointing out my interests in football and this team.

But the point is that this is a back up QB thread and Alex Smith is a starter. So the knowledge of all other positions, receivers and Alex Smith is a mute point in this thread.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the point is that this is a back up QB thread and Alex Smith is a starter. So the knowledge of all other positions, receivers and Alex Smith is a mute point in this thread.

I understand the point of the thread. My comment was a joke because a lot of people say that Alex Smith is (the quality of) a backup QB. So I was jokingly saying that he was my favorite backup. Fight on! (USC Alum)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holly crap, i didn't know Hoyer had been cut. I've never seen anything but good from this guy in his NFL career (all though that's pre-season stuff).

Mallett was my favorite Qb going into the draft last year. I can't believe he fell all the way to the 3rd round.

The problem with Mallet though is he is Drew Bledsoe v2.0. He has next to zero mobility so if your offensive line can't hold up in protection he will take a lot of sacks or make a lot of bad throws under pressure. He has a cannon for an arm though with great height to see the entire field.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with Mallet though is he is Drew Bledsoe v2.0. He has next to zero mobility so if your offensive line can't hold up in protection he will take a lot of sacks or make a lot of bad throws under pressure. He has a cannon for an arm though with great height to see the entire field.

Mallett is 6'7...Bress is 5'11. Other then that Brees has very solid movement int he pocket. Mallett reminds me of a younger Tom Brady.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mallett is 6'7...Bress is 5'11. Other then that Brees has very solid movement int he pocket. Mallett reminds me of a younger Tom Brady.

Wrong Drew, I believe he mentioned Bledsoe ?

I would go with Shaun Hill, the Lions dont skip a beat when he has to replace Stafford and actually seem to out play him IMO

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong Drew, I believe he mentioned Bledsoe ?

I would go with Shaun Hill, the Lions dont skip a beat when he has to replace Stafford and actually seem to out play him IMO

Yeah 6'5 Drew Bledsoe. He had a great arm but wore cement blocks for shoes. He still had a great career though with the Patriots, Bills, and Cowboys.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah 6'5 Drew Bledsoe. He had a great arm but wore cement blocks for shoes. He still had a great career though with the Patriots, Bills, and Cowboys.

The year they won their first superbowl didn't he play a playoff game or come in for a while after Brady got hurt and play really well to get them there? I just looked it up. He played against the Steelers in the AFC Championship to lead a winning TD drive. I was always happy that he got to contribute in that way the year of his only Superbowl ring. He did something big to get them there instead of getting it for not playing a down the entire year.

Randomly though... While I was trying to look that up I came across this old article about Brady or Bledsoe. It is just kind of fun to read stuff from back in the day. To see how things turned out. Pretty funny read.

Bledsoe vs. Brady: Who should the Patriots pick? - Slate Magazine

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I guess I meant non-starter. If there's another non-starter you like, do tell.

Ok. Well, going back I can't believe I forgot to mention Kyle Orton. When Harbaugh came in, I wanted them to acquire him.

The reason why I asked if 3rd stringers count is because I wanted to include Greg McElroy in there. Charlie Batch has always been an intriguing guy to watch because so many coaches like him in the mentor/backup role. Then as I previously mentioned, Flynn, Cousins and Mallett would be the others.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Hoyer was cut in preseason and no one has picked him up all season.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The year they won their first superbowl didn't he play a playoff game or come in for a while after Brady got hurt and play really well to get them there? I just looked it up. He played against the Steelers in the AFC Championship to lead a winning TD drive. I was always happy that he got to contribute in that way the year of his only Superbowl ring. He did something big to get them there instead of getting it for not playing a down the entire year.

Randomly though... While I was trying to look that up I came across this old article about Brady or Bledsoe. It is just kind of fun to read stuff from back in the day. To see how things turned out. Pretty funny read.

I'm pretty sure Bledsoe was their starting QB to begin that season as well. Tom Brady got to become Tom Brady because Bledsoe went down with an injury early in the season. They had to go back to Bledsoe for that playoff game because Brady got hurt which led to a bit of speculation as to who should play the Super Bowl. The proven starter or the young guy that led you all season.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He opened the season as the starter. Brady came in when Bledsoe inexplicably didn't step out of bounds, opting instead to try to run through Jets LB Mo Lewis.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He opened the season as the starter. Brady came in when Bledsoe inexplicably didn't step out of bounds, opting instead to try to run through Jets LB Mo Lewis.

He wanted Brady to realize his potential and he couldn't do that sitting on the bench.

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At least he didn't try to run through a wall.
frerotteheadbutt.gif