• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who's going to bat leadoff?

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is a very interesting question for Renteria to figure out. Robert is the best leadoff prospect and is a sure bet to excel at this game and that spot in the batting order. Conventional wisdom - however, would dictate that Robert bat lower in the lineup until he gets major league acclimated - that putting him in CF and leadoff would put too much pressure on Robert - and potentially retard his development or destroy his confidence.

I would argue that conventional wisdom is pretty good, but it would depend on my evaluation of whether Robert can handle leadoff or not - that perhaps he gets better at leadoff - faster by starting right away.

The expectation is Robert will start the season lower in the batting order perhaps hit 8 or 9th. This brings up the question - who would bat leadoff early in the season. I expect the candidates are:

Leury Garcia (if he's playing) - poor on base percentage
Tim Anderson - poor on base percentage
Yoan Moncada - stretch his legs

Personally - I'd bat Moncada at leadoff in this case. Moncada has an almost scary desire to be a better ball player. Last year - he exceeded the production I would have expected from Machado and just kept getting better fielding 3rd base. I'd love to see Moncada challenged in that fashion.

Actually - if Tim Anderson was able to be more selective as a hitter -he would be a sensational leadoff hitter - so put the new hitting coach to work - as the last one got fired for making him the Al batting champ.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice post Mingo. It's by no means any kind of a stretch in suggesting that Moncada bat leadoff. He was pretty much regarded as the Sox best all around player last year, so it's quite fair to say why not have your best overall hitting setting the table at leadoff. My take, which is probably considered old school in this day and age, has always been the team's best hitter bats 3rd. But we all know that Abreu, until proven otherwise, will likely begin at the 3 spot. I'm still liking my predicted opening day lineup, obviously subject to change if circumstances dictate otherwise:

1. Anderson, ss
2. Grandal, c
3. Abreu, 1b
4. Moncada, 3b
5. Encarnacion, dh
6. Jimenez, lf
7. Robert, cf
8. Mazara, rf
9. Garcia/Mendick, 2b

Again, if it's MY opening day roster, the very least I'd do is swap Abreu and Moncada, but this is my predicted lineup. As for the Garcia/Mendick tandem, I'm going with Garcia for sure if the Royals starter is a RH. If they go lefty, I can see Mendick starting instead.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've actually worked wonders to get Anderson as selective as he is now. Lol. That will never happen.

The idea of Moncada moving back to lead-off has been floated and that's fine. IMO. Madrigal will eventually be that guy. That's the hope, at least.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've actually worked wonders to get Anderson as selective as he is now. Lol. That will never happen.

The idea of Moncada moving back to lead-off has been floated and that's fine. IMO. Madrigal will eventually be that guy. That's the hope, at least.

My hope too, but I think we both agree that he'll be eased into that spot. The funny thing is with our lineup as it presently stands, I only see Nick batting 1st or 9th.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice post Mingo. It's by no means any kind of a stretch in suggesting that Moncada bat leadoff. He was pretty much regarded as the Sox best all around player last year, so it's quite fair to say why not have your best overall hitting setting the table at leadoff. My take, which is probably considered old school in this day and age, has always been the team's best hitter bats 3rd. But we all know that Abreu, until proven otherwise, will likely begin at the 3 spot. I'm still liking my predicted opening day lineup, obviously subject to change if circumstances dictate otherwise:

1. Anderson, ss
2. Grandal, c
3. Abreu, 1b
4. Moncada, 3b
5. Encarnacion, dh
6. Jimenez, lf
7. Robert, cf
8. Mazara, rf
9. Garcia/Mendick, 2b

Again, if it's MY opening day roster, the very least I'd do is swap Abreu and Moncada, but this is my predicted lineup. As for the Garcia/Mendick tandem, I'm going with Garcia for sure if the Royals starter is a RH. If they go lefty, I can see Mendick starting instead.

Okay... why are people floating Anderson as lead-off? That's insane and it will never happen. Not trying to be a dick, but yeesh.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My hope too, but I think we both agree that he'll be eased into that spot. The funny thing is with our lineup as it presently stands, I only see Nick batting 1st or 9th.

Yeah, you are probably correct there.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay... why are people floating Anderson as lead-off? That's insane and it will never happen. Not trying to be a dick, but yeesh.
Well, I'm one of the insane guys, but only semi-insane, because I don't see Anderson in the leadoff spot long term. Ideally, if either or both of the two rooks pan out, I can see Madrigal there, I can even see Robert - not a bad idea having a guy with a good bat, great speed, and true power leading off. But I do see Anderson hitting in the 1 spot on opening day.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moncada better not lead off. I will kick Renteria's ass.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Madrigal can leadoff, but I would bat him in the two hole. Let Robert get on - stress the defense and the pitcher as an immediate threat to run - and have Madrigal with his bat control move Robert along the bases - setting up Abreu - Moncada and Encarnacion.