• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who's Better...Present Day Players and Teams or the Past?

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing. Just like today when an RB misses a block. So Brown wasn't a good blocker for his QB ? That's the criticism ? Taking Brown out of the play and removing him as a threat by holding him back to block was pretty stupid anyway.

Brown wasn't a bad blocker. He refused to block period.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball's best
C - Bench
1B - Gehrig
2B - Hornsby
SS - Wagner
3B - Schmidt
LF - Williams/Bonds
CF - Mays/Cobb
RF - Ruth
SP - Walter Johnson

These are the players most would consider the best of all time at their position. Only Bonds has played a game since 1990. This is one of the reasons baseball is and has always been my favorite sport, it's a game of skill, it's not just about running faster or jumping higher.
Its also a sport where people overrate a certain time period in the game and vastly underrate modern players. Baseball has become so specialized that its impossible to sustain the careers of the older players

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its also a sport where people overrate a certain time period in the game and vastly underrate modern players. Baseball has become so specialized that its impossible to sustain the careers of the older players

With pitchers I agree...

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is laughable.......Golf takes more mental capabilities and toughness, than any sport I've ever played. And it is a combination of controlled power and touch. Those who say golf is not a sport have probably never played it, or played it poorly. Golf is all about the individual. That is a plus and minus. It's all about you. You can't depend on another teammate when you're having a good day or bad day. There are no vacations in golf, like in baseball, football or basketball. You're hitting a shot about every 4 minutes. And there is no place to hide on a bad day. No teammate to pick you up. I've played all the sports except hockey. And golf is the toughest sport I've ever played.

You think golf is a bitch. Try surfing ;)

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of Bo, you see all these athletes nowadays easily. Nolan Ryan would be average today, Primetime would be a nice corner and returner. Jack would be a top golfer but not dominant.

The two sports one is just about Bo, Primetime only play MLB because of football, he would be a glorified pinch runner..Bo is a once in a lifetime athlete with size, strength, speed, hand eye coordination and arm strength.

Nolan Ryan would be average :pound: that's funny shit

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Masters.........Prize money

Winner: $1.8 million
Runner-up: $1.08 million
3rd: $680,000
4th: $480,000
5th: $400,000
6th: $360,000
7th: $335,000
8th: $310,000
9th: $290,000
10th: $270,000

50th place got $25,000

zach

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Masters.........Prize money

Winner: $1.8 million
Runner-up: $1.08 million
3rd: $680,000
4th: $480,000
5th: $400,000
6th: $360,000
7th: $335,000
8th: $310,000
9th: $290,000
10th: $270,000

50th place got $25,000
I'd still take 50th place even if I suck because I'm broke and most of everyone else probably is to.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of different factors that would influence this whole thing. For team sports you have to acct for the fact that most sports now have free agency and salary caps which make assembling talent a lot more challenging & make building a dynasty very difficult. This would probably have had a big impact on teams like the Celtics, Packers, Cowboys, Steelers and others.

Players of the past didn't have to deal with the mental aspect of the media and social media. Way back when they could do whatever they liked and not worry about constant criticism which can have a big impact. Specialization was also not a factor as many athletes played all sports early in their life. Today - many young athletes only focus on one sport due to pressure from their parents and the overall community.

You also see a huge impact on the game due to rule changes. Nowhere is this more obvious than the NFL. The players from way back when didn't have to worry about how they hit someone or a DB not being able to basically touch any receiver. They also were not subject to constant suspensions and fines. Bottom line - you really can't compare players of different eras because the landscape is so much different.

zach

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of different factors that would influence this whole thing. For team sports you have to acct for the fact that most sports now have free agency and salary caps which make assembling talent a lot more challenging & make building a dynasty very difficult. This would probably have had a big impact on teams like the Celtics, Packers, Cowboys, Steelers and others.

Players of the past didn't have to deal with the mental aspect of the media and social media. Way back when they could do whatever they liked and not worry about constant criticism which can have a big impact. Specialization was also not a factor as many athletes played all sports early in their life. Today - many young athletes only focus on one sport due to pressure from their parents and the overall community.

You also see a huge impact on the game due to rule changes. Nowhere is this more obvious than the NFL. The players from way back when didn't have to worry about how they hit someone or a DB not being able to basically touch any receiver. They also were not subject to constant suspensions and fines. Bottom line - you really can't compare players of different eras because the landscape is so much different.
I agree in the past the athletes just had to focus on playing the game and being an athlete that knows how to hit someone. Today athletes are bombarded by the media in every shape, way, and form. Also a great point is you have to worry about where you hit other players today which personally is some BS because it takes the physical impact part out of the game.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do I think the 2015 Broncos could beat the Cowboys of the early 90s? No, I do not. I think the salary cap is the major reason. Cowboys offense would do much better than Carolina's and Denver's offense was not amazing. Cowboys had team that would be near impossible to have today, if possible at all.

You can also list players like Deion Sanders, Bo Jackson, and Lawrence Taylor and say there are no players today like them. I won't argue with Deion, but I think Marshawn Lynch and AP are just as good of a RB as Bo. Ray Lewis might not be as good of a LB as LT but I think the LB talent in the NFL is much deeper now. I also think the "average" player today is better.