• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who will be the best pass rusher from the 2014 NFL draft?

Best pass rusher from 2014 draft?

• Clowney

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • Mack

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Barr

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Donald

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Shazier

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Ford

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Easley

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Other

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is an interesting case study. There hasn't been a guy like him with so much hype and so little production in quite awhile

I can certainly think of some guys with some eye-popping physical tools relative to their position, yet little production in college who skyrocketed in the eyes of the scouts because of the combine. The most recent and blatant example of this is arguably Dontari Poe. Does anyone recall him doing anything at Memphis at all?

None of these guys are really close to Clowney though in my opinion. To be fair, he wasn't exactly 100% because of injuries and was possibly the most schemed against passrusher in memory. If he really did mail it in though like some critics say, then Houston better be worried.

One league scouting service recently wrote after a game-tape review of Clowney’s 2013 season that he is “the most schemed-against defensive player we have ever evaluated.”

http://nypost.com/2014/04/12/criticism-of-star-d-lineman-clowney-reaches-absurd-levels/

In Clowney's case, he is a very obvious physical talent, that isn't really a question as he has most every tool you want for a passrusher. It's not like he didn't produce his Freshman and Sophomore year either. So I am not really sure where the criticism is coming from if it isn't some kind of character flaw.

Last edited by a moderator:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went Easley, health permitting. It should be fun to find out.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I can't remember the last time I liked a player's personality more than I liked Easley's. He's like the Jim Harbaugh of defensive linemen (always manic) except he's not as much of a dick. If his knees hold up the Pats won the draft lottery.

The dude needs to become a position coach one day IMO. I don't say that about a lot of players.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I picked Donald. The guy is in a perfect situation with a scheme that fits him well. Clowney will probably get more sacks of the two this year but I think Donald will be the guy with the bigger impact as pressure up the middle is huge in the NFL.

WB1214

Hoopla Cash
$ 802.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonna go Clowney because I think he'll be facing favorable one-on-one matchups because of Watt. If Clowney picks up the position, he could have double digit sacks right away

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One league scouting service recently wrote after a game-tape review of Clowney’s 2013 season that he is “the most schemed-against defensive player we have ever evaluated.”
Oh, I know. I remember the Mizzou game where 90% of the game they ran away from him and then the last 10% of the game they ran right at him for huge chunks of yards because he was gassed.

I think Clowney will be good but Mario Williams good not Julius Peppers great. Clowney gets freakish burst from his 3rd and 4th steps but doesn't really get much push off his first two steps. Getting off the line is half the battle usually and I dont think he is elite at that.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
opinions tend to vary and most forgotten as the season gets started,
Fact is, nobody knows who will become what from a college resume

Truth :nod: gotta see it on the field first.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be purely a guess for me, but I think people are going to see that Clowney to HOU was a mistake...he's athletic enough to play OLB, but it's a totally different scheme...I think they will have to tweak it and allow him to play more as a 4-3 DE to get the best results.

That said...because of his surrounding cast, I think he will have more sacks than any other rookie, but the total will underwhelm...6 max.