• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who is the best team in the league

Best team in the league?

• Total voters

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Antonio geezers own the Western conference...

WHY?

Cuz they played good defense. Don't give me this Bullshit that Golden St and OKC play good defense. Just because they run up and down the court more and get more steals, doesn't make them a good defense. Look at the Clippers. Offense all year and then what? NADA

I repeat. The San Antonio OLD FARTS won the west last year. WHY?

I think I know what good defense is. East coast or West. but thanks anyway. Just the fact that you are labeling who the best in the NBA is right now before the all-star break shows how much you know about bball.

Long way to go. And the early lead dog, usually doesn't finish strong. Look at history.

If that's why you think they play good defense then I have to question whether or not you watch them play.

We are halfway through the season. I think it's fair to make determinations about a team's abilities at this point. There is large enough of a sample size. No doubt though things get more intense come playoff time and things can/will certainly change (health).

But someone opines about who they think is playing the best basketball through this point of the season means they know nothing about basketball? :scratch: It's a basketball forum on a message board website.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you rank those stats by FG%, the top 3 teams are out west... Golden State, Portland, and OKC. PPG is just one way to measure defense. But a team who runs a ton of half court offense and a grinder style of basketball is going to have a solid PPG, but they may be giving up a 50% shooting. Miami ranks 6th in ppg... but 22nd in FG%. As someone who has watched Miami a lot this year, the best way to describe the Heat's defense is suspect.

Yup, defensive efficiency stats as I was saying. The basic Def PPG statistic isn't the greatest.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate stats period. Sounds crazy but I go off my eye test and I really don't pay super close attention until after the all-star break. I watched the Celtic/Lakers back in the day, then the Pistons/Lakers, then the Bulls/Pistons/Lakers... on and on. Bball is religion where I come from.

I have watched some games and Golden St reminds me a lot of OKC a few years back. Can score at will. But when faced with some physical D, down the stretch it becomes difficult. I might be wrong. But that's how I look at it. I know you can't live and die by the 3 in the playoffs though.

I will admit i'm a bit old school. But you know when you see good D. They make you take tough shots and make you use a lot of the shot clock.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you can look at efficiency and %'s all you want as well, but it comes down to stops and not allowing points on the board fellas.

Either way, my point is just that IT'S EARLY :) still

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you rank those stats by FG%, the top 3 teams are out west... Golden
State, Portland, and OKC. PPG is just one way to measure defense. But a team
who runs a ton of half court offense and a grinder style of basketball is going
to have a solid PPG, but they may be giving up a 50% shooting. Miami ranks 6th
in ppg... but 22nd in FG%. As someone who has watched Miami a lot this year,
the best way to describe the Heat's defense is suspect

I'm not talking about offense. Anyone can run up the score on the shitty teams. It's more who can get stops and shut a team down that i'm interested in. But at this point in the season, it's all up in the air.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not talking about offense. Anyone can run up the score on the shitty teams. It's more who can get stops and shut a team down that i'm interested in. But at this point in the season, it's all up in the air.

I wasn't talking about offense either. When I said rank them by FG%.. I meant defensively. When a ball leaves a players hands it has a 42.3% chance of going in against Golden State, which is best in the NBA. Points per possession is another one I like. I don't understand defensive efficiency because it is like NFL QB rating.. all sorts of calculations in it. But a lot of people use it as the gold standard. My two are FG% and points per possession (against you).

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahh I C. Yeah that's not a bad one by all means. Too bad you can't measure quality shots with that one. I guess it means when you are playing the top scoring team in the NBA, you need to not be shy.

FG% is always going to be a good one in terms of what the defense is doing to you. Points per game should reflect about the same when looking at the result.

You can break it down about any way you want really.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate stats period. Sounds crazy but I go off my eye test and I really don't pay super close attention until after the all-star break. I watched the Celtic/Lakers back in the day, then the Pistons/Lakers, then the Bulls/Pistons/Lakers... on and on. Bball is religion where I come from.

I have watched some games and Golden St reminds me a lot of OKC a few years back. Can score at will. But when faced with some physical D, down the stretch it becomes difficult. I might be wrong. But that's how I look at it. I know you can't live and die by the 3 in the playoffs though.

I will admit i'm a bit old school. But you know when you see good D. They make you take tough shots and make you use a lot of the shot clock.

I don't really think they live and die by the 3. Steph curry dominated the game without making 3s. Klay same thing on both sides. Against OKC he got to the paint at will too.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Antonio geezers own the Western conference...

WHY?

Cuz they played good defense. Don't give me this Bullshit that Golden St and OKC play good defense. Just because they run up and down the court more and get more steals, doesn't make them a good defense. Look at the Clippers. Offense all year and then what? NADA

I repeat. The San Antonio OLD FARTS won the west last year. WHY?

I think I know what good defense is. East coast or West. but thanks anyway. Just the fact that you are labeling who the best in the NBA is right now before the all-star break shows how much you know about bball.

Long way to go. And the early lead dog, usually doesn't finish strong. Look at history.

Are you an idiot? LOL. Goldenstate is the best defensive team in the nba. Warriors are stacked up and down on the roster.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Golden St is averaging close to the same amount of points allowed this year (99.1) so far as they did last year (99.5).

That's cause they play at the fastest pace in the league... They're #1 in defensive effciency. Pretty much top 3 on every stat defensively. This team is elite on that end

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The real question is, when is Rondo going to "start playing defense"? Because the Mavs are still giving up 102 PPG and Monta is shooting 42% in January.

Good choice leaving them off the poll, BK.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because the NBA doesn't start to play real D until April that's why.

that's why Golden St isn't going anywhere either and why OKC has never done jack shit in the playoffs.

To be fair OKC had a injury to Westbrook one year.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spurs won with elite passing, offense and shooting last year. Their offense was like a hydra. You cut off the ball handler and 2 more players would wind up open.

The league has also adapted to that game a little bit. Generally the Spurs have been an 'every other year' type of team but Im not putting dirt on them yet.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spurs won with elite passing, offense and shooting last year. Their offense was like a hydra. You cut off the ball handler and 2 more players would wind up open.

The league has also adapted to that game a little bit. Generally the Spurs have been an 'every other year' type of team but Im not putting dirt on them yet.

Team played great on both sides of the floor

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spurs won with elite passing, offense and shooting last year. Their offense was
like a hydra. You cut off the ball handler and 2 more players would wind up
open.

But you leave out their calling card. Physical D.

And until Golden St can show this #1 D down the stretch, i'm not buying the 1st half stats. And you say Golden St got into the paint at will vs. OKC? Welcome to the club that everyone else is in!! :lol:

Might as well take a shit on NBA 1st half stats.

I love me some stat geeks. But 1st half of the season stat geeks... that's special.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steph Curry is like Durant come playoff time. Can't handle Physical D and relies on the jump shot.

Amiright?

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going with the Grizz, they are 4-0 this week.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Generally the Spurs have been an 'every other year' type of team but Im not
putting dirt on them yet.

No matter how old they get, they still can D up come playoffs. :scratch: