• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who could be the next Zac Stacy??

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have all debated the merits of going one way or the other both position and player wise early on in the draft, but this thread is dedicated to the those under the radar players that the Rams might target on Day 3 of the draft that could very easily become solid NFL players, or more. I love trying to dig for guys like this.. so let's discuss.

Here is my list of "diamonds in the rough" for 2014:

Martavis Bryant - WR Clemson: Overshadowed obviously by Sammy Watkins, but guy is big, strong and runs great routes. His stock might rise a little after the combines, but still could be there in round 3 or 4.

Pierre Desir - CB/S Lindenwood: Dude is BLAZING fast, 6'3" 205. He grew in college. Was 5'10 coming out of HS which is why he was not highly recruited. IMO would be a solid utility guy as he can play all 4 positions in the secondary. Projected in the 5th round.

Antonio Andrews - RB Western Kentucky. A perfect type of player to compliment Zac Stacy. 6'0" 219 and a pure tackle to tackle, north and south kind of runner. deceptively fast once he breaks tackles. Projected right now in the 6th round.

Brandon Coleman - WR Rutgers. Stock has fallen a little because of his percieved lack of speed. But at 6'6" and 220, he is a true red zone threat. Projected 3rd or 4th round.

Ryan Carrethers - DT Arkansas St. Plain and simple, a run stuffing DT that if there was not St. in his schools name would be most likely a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Projected 5th or 6th round

Marquis Flowers - S/OLB Arizona. This years Ray-Ray Armstrong with more discipline. He has tumbled a bit because teams are not sure if he is fast enough to play S or big enough to play OLB...

Who else to you guys have your eyes on??

:hope:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sold on drafting a WR just because of his size. The Rams could use a big #1 WR, but I don't think either of those guys are actual #1 material. Rams already have Quick to be a rotational big target (and Cook).

I believe the latest Walter mock has Desir as a day 2 pick, so I'm not sure how under the radar he is anymore.

I need to do more research to find my faves, but as a once highly rated (but missed most of this season due to injury), I think OG Spencer Long (Nebraska) could be a sneaky late pick.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington looks good but as the analysis said he needs some polish. Which is a 3 year project in the NFL. He's good at school yard football I don't know how good he is at route running, getting off the jam, and option routes (smarts). We'll see tho if he gets drafted and turns into a A Jeffery's then I'll eat crow.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Henry Josey if heathy could be a decent NFL back.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sold on drafting a WR just because of his size. The Rams could use a big #1 WR, but I don't think either of those guys are actual #1 material. Rams already have Quick to be a rotational big target (and Cook).

I agree, but that is the kind of #1 we need... what is the one thing Fitzgerald,Jones,Bryant,Green all have?? SIZE. I am still of the opinion that if we DO draft a WR, we need to draft either Evans or Benjamin in round 1 or just roll the dice and hope Quick improves more and Cook gets more involved (I sure hope he does cuz I just traded for both of them in my dynasty league!). I would rather see us get more depth in the secondary (3 picks out the 8, plus an UFA or 2) and at OLB (1 draft pick or 2) then go after a WR just to go after a WR.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
shopson, I like Spencer Long late as well. As for Desir, he is all over the place in different mocks. I have seen him everywhere from 3rd round to UFA. If he shines at the combine, he may not make it to day 3 like you said. I might take him over a kid like Marcus Roberson in the 3rd, which is who Draftsite.com has us selecting in the 3rd.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of the top 15 players in receiving yards in 2013, 11 stand 6'3" or above. Those who aren't are:

#2 Antonio Brown (5'10")
#8 Pierre Garcon (6'0")
#9 DeSean Jackson (5'10")
#13 Dez Bryant (6'2")

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bleacher Report listed Devon Kennard OLB from USC, L'Damian Washington, Conner Shaw QB from South Carolina, Raijon Bell RB from Tennessee as possible late round sleepers that would fit the Rams...hmmm

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of the top 15 players in receiving yards in 2013, 11 stand 6'3" or above. Those who aren't are:

#2 Antonio Brown (5'10")
#8 Pierre Garcon (6'0")
#9 DeSean Jackson (5'10")
#13 Dez Bryant (6'2")

That's fine, but that doesn't mean that a tall WR prospect is good enough to be a #1. Being tall and playing big are two very different things as well. I don't see Martavis Bryant or Brandon Coleman being any better of prospects than Quick necessarily. Instead of reaching for size, draft talent.