• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Which "rumour" do you want?

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but doesn't the guy want $9 million!? Maybe he's worth it, maybe he's not, but that is a ridiculous amount of money for a defenseman.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but doesn't the guy want $9 million!? Maybe he's worth it, maybe he's not, but that is a ridiculous amount of money for a defenseman.

He may have to pay llja 3-4 for #6;)

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do Weber for Schenn, Couturier and a 1st Rounder. I want him out of the WC.....unless he is a Shark. :D

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd give up the next 3-4 1st rounders and (insert name(s) ) for Weber in a second.

Weber is a proven top of the shelf commodity and with the depth that we have at forward to trade......shiiiiit it's a no brainer.

I also agree with the Briere talk and everything else that was said. I just feel there's no sense in doing any half measures when a top d-man is out there to be had.

i mean seriously what do we need first rounders for at this point? we are starting 8 rookies currently ha and still second place i may add

Yep - Yep - Yep

Goddamn I hope Homer can or would pull this off..

I know I would be on cloud 9 and ordering a Weber jersey instantly if it were to happen. haha

...and fuck Lilja.....cut his ass so Shea can have his number. :madgrin:

have we learned nothing from the pronger trade? teams cant compete without guys on rookie contracts.. if we give up all our first round picks we wont have the cheap young guys that can play top 6 minutes.. schenn already makes 3+ against the cap next season, if he gets to 60 games they wont be able to shuffle him in to the minors for a game without waivers (though, he may not get to 60).. jvr is going up to 4 something.. they wont be able to afford to keep players without having that influx of young, cheap talent

they said the same thing when they traded for pronger.. sure we can give up a defacto 3 first round picks (2 + sbisa), everyone is young! we'll be fine! a couple years down the road they had to blow it up.. its a little different because its weber, but i still dont like the idea of giving up 1st round picks like that.. you cannot win in this league without guys on rookie contracts, outperforming them.. you just cant.

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pricey indeed.

It would be nice to land him,just for the fact that he's a right handed shot.
The only right handed shot at d-man right now is Walker,and he sucks

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no team that will pay him 9 million per

if it was for 2 or 3 years, i would consider it.. maybe not for the flyers cause they dont have the space.. but he's probably the best dman out there

the problem i've had with almost every contract has been the duration, not the amount.. signing guys for 5+ years is just too risky.. sure it looks good when you have it pan out and you have a hart trophy candidate for 3 mil, but it looks really bad when you have a 4.9 mil liability, a goalie who is underporfming in year 1 of 9, and two models of inconsistency making 4 and 6.5 mil respectively

if i were a GM, 5 years would be my max contract length, and you'd have to be something special to get more than 3 (ie. giroux).. even if that meant paying more per year

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if it was for 2 or 3 years, i would consider it.. maybe not for the flyers cause they dont have the space.. but he's probably the best dman out there

the problem i've had with almost every contract has been the duration, not the amount.. signing guys for 5+ years is just too risky.. sure it looks good when you have it pan out and you have a hart trophy candidate for 3 mil, but it looks really bad when you have a 4.9 mil liability, a goalie who is underporfming in year 1 of 9, and two models of inconsistency making 4 and 6.5 mil respectively

if i were a GM, 5 years would be my max contract length, and you'd have to be something special to get more than 3 (ie. giroux).. even if that meant paying more per year

I'd do 3 years max,and then if he's worthy work on an extension.And fuck the NTC contracts.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soooo sign him as an RFA? Yes please

oy.. that has a 'blow up the team in 3 years' tied to it.. hell no to trading all your first round picks.. the cabinet is bare, in two or three years when schenn and coots come off their rookie salaries, the flyers will have to shed salary like crazy to keep them.. and i realize timo, briere, and hartnell will be off the books, but thats a #1 dman and 2 top 6 forwards that you'll have to replace.. who's going to do that? nobody will come at a level the flyers can afford

you HAVE to build through the draft. absolutely have to.

PhillyPhaithful48

Pickles will Prevail
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
oy.. that has a 'blow up the team in 3 years' tied to it.. hell no to trading all your first round picks.. the cabinet is bare, in two or three years when schenn and coots come off their rookie salaries, the flyers will have to shed salary like crazy to keep them.. and i realize timo, briere, and hartnell will be off the books, but thats a #1 dman and 2 top 6 forwards that you'll have to replace.. who's going to do that? nobody will come at a level the flyers can afford

Our team is YOUNG. If there was ever a time to make a statement in the rfa world, this would be it.

Our only aging players are Timonen and Jagr. The rest are middle of the road or younger. We can live without a 1st round pick for a few years. The young dman you want is just not going to develop quick enough to contribute with this team who is ready to win now.

I know it's a risk, but I would do it in a heartbeat.

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I get what you're saying Awazy, but the FO will always find a way to manuever through and keep the books square no matter what, so....I'm all in favor of doing whatever it takes to get Weber in town asap if not sooner.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The single biggest concern I have with trading for Weber during the season is not that we'd lose a young player, or that we'd have to give up 1st round picks, it's that unless we sent back substantial contract we wouldn't be able to re-sign Weber, Vorachek & Jagr(not that I'm sure I want him back, he's a great player but is hurt way too often now).

I still think that G, Schenn, Cooter should be 100% untouchable and JVR, Read, Mez & Bob should have very high trade value and we can't't give-up too many of them either in a trade. IF Nashville were willing to take something like 2 first rounders, Briere and another piece Carle/Coburn for Weber we could work it out financially. I mean even if we give Nashville what they'll prob ask for which is Schenn, Cooter and 2 first rounders for Weber we could never pay him and re-sign Jagr, Carle, Vorachek or any of our other fa's so our team would end up being worse next year.

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what you're saying also BH, but there are many combination of moves that can be made to accomodate Weber and his contract.

Briere - Carle - Jagr gone? I'm cool with that. :)

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what you're saying also BH, but there are many combination of moves that can be made to accomodate Weber and his contract.

Yea I guess the point I'm making is that to sign a big $ guy they need to shed one in Briere and not just hope Pronger can ltir it for 6 years.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

see i'm not ok with that.. that obviously wont be enough to get weber, especially since combined they only have a year left of contract after this season

the preds are only going to want superstar prospects, i.e. it will have to be schenn or coots (because they'll get it elsewhere if the flyers dont offer it) plus a roster dman which would be either mesz or coburn (timo is too old, carle is FA, the others aren't good enough).. plus probably at least 1 first round pick..

so for example, the trade would be schenn, coburn, and a 1st for weber.. you clear.. 5ish from the cap and say conservatively weber gets 8 per year.. you still gotta move 3 more in space just to be even in the trade.. so we let carle go in FA and we're about even.. except we're now missing 2 dmen and a top 6 (hopefully) forward.. resign jagr at 3 and taking in to account jvr's raise (about 4 mil) and you wipe out the salary cap increase this summer, plus probably 2 mil.. so you're about 2 mil over the cap with a lineup that looks like:

jagr.giroux.hartnell
voracek.briere.jvr
read.coots.simmonds
rinaldo.talbot.sestito

weber.timo
gust.mesz
bourdon.marshall

bryz/bob

do we really think that team is better than the one we have now? cause i dont.. you're a little weaker up front with the loss of schenn and jagr at 40, you're obviously the same in net.. but on defense you basically have 2 ultra reliable guys, 1 that is capable of being a stud, but just as capable of sucking dick.. and 3 guys that deserve to battle for the 6th spot, not have spots 4-6.. plus you dont have the 1st round pick to take a d-prospect that you could maybe hope was good enough to crack the lineup in year 1.. and to top it all off, you still have 2 mil in cap space to find

and thats all if the numbers break in our favor with pronger on LTIR and the timing works out that we can stay under the 10% offseason modifier then switch people to LTIR to get under the cap, prior to the 10% modifier ending (which i'm not sure on)

i freaking love weber, and if there was one guy i'd want to see on the flyers it'd be him.. i just dont see how it could work out

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our team is YOUNG. If there was ever a time to make a statement in the rfa world, this would be it.

Our only aging players are Timonen and Jagr. The rest are middle of the road or younger. We can live without a 1st round pick for a few years. The young dman you want is just not going to develop quick enough to contribute with this team who is ready to win now.

I know it's a risk, but I would do it in a heartbeat.

its not a whole lot younger than the team was when we traded for pronger...

but its just a difference of opinions.. i'm all for trying to win, but all do respect to the way this team is performing, the window is open.. this team is probably weaker than next years team will be, and that team is probably weaker than the team in 2 years will be.. i just dont think now is the time to make the move.. and after some very rough estimating in the post above, i dont think the flyers will have the money to offer sheet suter, who will probably claim 7ish in FA..

Last edited by a moderator:

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
see i'm not ok with that.. that obviously wont be enough to get weber, especially since combined they only have a year left of contract after this season

the preds are only going to want superstar prospects, i.e. it will have to be schenn or coots (because they'll get it elsewhere if the flyers dont offer it) plus a roster dman which would be either mesz or coburn (timo is too old, carle is FA, the others aren't good enough).. plus probably at least 1 first round pick..

so for example, the trade would be schenn, coburn, and a 1st for weber.. you clear.. 5ish from the cap and say conservatively weber gets 8 per year.. you still gotta move 3 more in space just to be even in the trade.. so we let carle go in FA and we're about even.. except we're now missing 2 dmen and a top 6 (hopefully) forward.. resign jagr at 3 and taking in to account jvr's raise (about 4 mil) and you wipe out the salary cap increase this summer, plus probably 2 mil.. so you're about 2 mil over the cap with a lineup that looks like:

jagr.giroux.hartnell
voracek.briere.jvr
read.coots.simmonds
rinaldo.talbot.sestito

weber.timo
gust.mesz
bourdon.marshall

bryz/bob

do we really think that team is better than the one we have now? cause i dont.. you're a little weaker up front with the loss of schenn and jagr at 40, you're obviously the same in net.. but on defense you basically have 2 ultra reliable guys, 1 that is capable of being a stud, but just as capable of sucking dick.. and 3 guys that deserve to battle for the 6th spot, not have spots 4-6.. plus you dont have the 1st round pick to take a d-prospect that you could maybe hope was good enough to crack the lineup in year 1.. and to top it all off, you still have 2 mil in cap space to find

and thats all if the numbers break in our favor with pronger on LTIR and the timing works out that we can stay under the 10% offseason modifier then switch people to LTIR to get under the cap, prior to the 10% modifier ending (which i'm not sure on)

i freaking love weber, and if there was one guy i'd want to see on the flyers it'd be him.. i just dont see how it could work out

This is what I have been trying to say AWAZ and I agree with you completely that team is worse then what we have now. The only way to bring in a guy who wants that kid of money is to move 1-2 of your top salary guys first to soften the hit. Second the fact that it would take so much to get Weber now turns me off to him completely for the following reasons. He's stated he wants to be the highest paid d-man in the league He stated today that $ and term are extremely important which means a NTC/NMC comes along with it. Then there's the asking price 2 top end respects and 2 picks, I can see Nashville wanting that, but they should be looking at what the pieces are actually worth. For example Brayden Schenn or Sean Couturier are worth way more then most teams top prospects.

I'd rather see them try to work a fair deal out with a team like LA or STL that needs offensive help and would send a young solid d-man back. Then in the offseason when you have a better picture of what is going on make a strong pitch for Suter, if that doesn't work look at Gleason, Allen, Stuart, etc but do it in free agency so we don't lose picks.

At this point I would almost love to see the Flyers be sellers in a way and deal a F to get a 1st rounder in order to draft 2 D prospects(I know that won't happen now).

Homer has a lot to look at now, but he needs to remind himself this isn't a 1 and done team, they are built a lot like detroit now where they can compete for years to come as long as they keep drafting well and don't do anything stupid.