• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Which hurt OSU more?

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I'd have to say Sermon, but truth is not having a healthy Fields really hurt. You could tell with his throws and pocket precense that he isn't 100%, and not really even close. I think that, plus his mind trying to stop him from getting hit, led to him missing a lot of throws he normally would.

Plus, putting a LB on Smith didn't pan out too well for OSU.

A good running game could have protected that like it did after he took the hit in the Clemson game. It still may not have been enough, but it would have been nice to see a little more competition

Reactions: Eco

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good running game could have protected that like it did after he took the hit in the Clemson game. It still may not have been enough, but it would have been nice to see a little more competition

OSU were definitely up against it, and while for viewers, a more competition would have been nice, but we scored at will and I'm not sure if a fully healthy OSU could keep up. But who knows, OSU was hampered with injuries and COVID and Coach Day didn't appear to make any excuses so he gets the nod in my book.

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OSU were definitely up against it, and while for viewers, a more competition would have been nice, but we scored at will and I'm not sure if a fully healthy OSU could keep up. But who knows, OSU was hampered with injuries and COVID and Coach Day didn't appear to make any excuses so he gets the nod in my book.
You get in enough of these games (as Bama and tOSU have), and sometimes it just isn’t your night. We’ve been handed our ass (71 Nebraska and 18 Clemson are notable examples) on occasion. But like the 12 team against ND, I don’t think anybody was beating them that night. Even without Moore, Battle, and Dickerson, they saw the prize and nobody was getting in the way.

tOSU will be fine. They will have plenty of opportunities and will capitalize on some of them. Great program, great fans.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ohio State needed Sermon to be fine and for Devonta Smith to fracture his collar bone on the first play.

No, not wishing injury on anyone, just pointing out the only way I see Ohio State maybe beating that team lol

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio State needed Sermon to be fine and for Devonta Smith to fracture his collar bone on the first play.

No, not wishing injury on anyone, just pointing out the only way I see Ohio State maybe beating that team lol
The Bama front 7 outplayed the tOSU OL. I didn’t see that coming, especially after what tOSU’s OL did to Clemson. But it did. I’m not sure what big difference Sermon would’ve made given that Teague was being hit at the LOS most of the time.

Losing the 2 DL players probably hurt worse, though the defensive issues were mostly on the back end. The only real way to combat that was with more pressure on Jones. But bear in mind, nobody really pressured Jones all season. This OL was as good at pass blocking as any I’ve seen in CFB.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here are some things I couldn't understand from OSU's perspective.

1. Why not utilizie the TE more? We get killed with athletic TE's and OSU didn't utilize that option enough.

2. It was obvious early that OSU couldn't stop Bama's offense, so why not blitz every play and do some onside kicks? Mix it up, be different.

3. What is with them giving Smith and Metchie 10/20 yards of cushion to catch the ball. This idea of bend don't break in the red zone is the dumbest thing I've heard of.

4. Why not put Wade on Metchie (as Wade appears to be very overrated), and make Battle cover Smith with some safety help? Doing it like this would mean that you don't get the play where a LB is trying to cover the heisman winner

Diego Roll Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are some things I couldn't understand from OSU's perspective.

1. Why not utilizie the TE more? We get killed with athletic TE's and OSU didn't utilize that option enough.

2. It was obvious early that OSU couldn't stop Bama's offense, so why not blitz every play and do some onside kicks? Mix it up, be different.

3. What is with them giving Smith and Metchie 10/20 yards of cushion to catch the ball. This idea of bend don't break in the red zone is the dumbest thing I've heard of.

4. Why not put Wade on Metchie (as Wade appears to be very overrated), and make Battle cover Smith with some safety help? Doing it like this would mean that you don't get the play where a LB is trying to cover the heisman winner
They were playing to get stops in the RZ. They just couldn’t get them. They did try to pressure a lot, it just was picked up most of the game (the sack fumble being the exception). The coverage was a pick your poison thing. They simply didn’t match up well in that department.

Their offensive play calling probably was a function of not being used to being that far behind, as well as facing a front 7 that outplayed them more often than not.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bama front 7 outplayed the tOSU OL. I didn’t see that coming, especially after what tOSU’s OL did to Clemson. But it did. I’m not sure what big difference Sermon would’ve made given that Teague was being hit at the LOS most of the time.

Losing the 2 DL players probably hurt worse, though the defensive issues were mostly on the back end. The only real way to combat that was with more pressure on Jones. But bear in mind, nobody really pressured Jones all season. This OL was as good at pass blocking as any I’ve seen in CFB.

When Davis went down in the first half that put us at missing two OL starters as well. There were at least three plays that I saw where Teague getting hit at the LOS was a product of his own hesitation. Then the damn 4th and 1 where he had 2 yards pretty easily had he just followed his block but decided to try to bounce it to the outside and loss yardage. I don't mind taking the risk for a big play on an early down but damn it 4th 1 you need to just put your shoulder down and go. Can't dance behind the line in that instance