• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Which Cleveland draft picks do you want for Mallett?

briz almighty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There isn't the slightest chance that we're getting Clowney. Not the slightest chance. You can quote me on this.
bookmarked. mallett and #32 for #4. Clowney a new england patriot!

briz almighty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither of those things are likely.
so if they arent likely just disregard them? gotta start at the top in a draft with the best case scenarios imo and then work your way down as they are close off. it would be stupid not to explore the possibilty that could improve your team the most.

Drawmeomg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bookmarked. mallett and #32 for #4. Clowney a new england patriot!

Feel free, if we somehow draft Clowney, to bring this up and mock me for it. I'll be far too euphoric to feel bad about being mocked anyway!

Mallett and #32 for the Colts' first rounder and a 4th or 5th would seem more likely... or Mallett for a high 2nd rounder. I know JDM will say don't do it in that case, but I don't agree. We can find someone who is close enough to Mallett's quality as a backup (Hoyer! though if I were the Browns I think I'd be as interested in Hoyer as Mallett, he looked great for them) to justify accepting the downgrade if it means we get a serious crack at adding an additional - or higher quality - starter to the roster.

briz almighty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feel free, if we somehow draft Clowney, to bring this up and mock me for it. I'll be far too euphoric to feel bad about being mocked anyway!

Mallett and #32 for the Colts' first rounder and a 4th or 5th would seem more likely... or Mallett for a high 2nd rounder. I know JDM will say don't do it in that case, but I don't agree. We can find someone who is close enough to Mallett's quality as a backup (Hoyer! though if I were the Browns I think I'd be as interested in Hoyer as Mallett, he looked great for them) to justify accepting the downgrade if it means we get a serious crack at adding an additional - or higher quality - starter to the roster.
yep i agree the timing just isnt right. brady is not close to retiring and mallett is closing in on starting a career. there will be more qbs coming down the pipeline when we really need to draft his replacement. get what value we can get for mallett now. id take a high second for mallett if thats the best we could get, but that 1st is the ultimate goal. cleveland got two so they would be more likely to trade one if the really wanted mallett. bb needs to hold them hostage.

eric5577x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, what happens when Billy from Houston calls and wants Mallett?? Now WTF do we do???? I'll send Mallet and take their 2nd rd pick. Then Hou can have JJ and Clowney...

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, what happens when Billy from Houston calls and wants Mallett?? Now WTF do we do???? I'll send Mallet and take their 2nd rd pick. Then Hou can have JJ and Clowney...

Not good enough.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mallett.

Basically, if Brady misses 2-3 games next year, Mallett could be the difference between making or missing the playoffs. Obviously if Brady is out for the year they're screwed (unless he's the second coming of... Tom Brady), but if it's something he'll recover from, you need a quality backup.

And where did you get this tid bit of information?

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Lombardi likes at least one of BB's former QBs...he signed Hoyer this year.

He can have another...

How much overlap was there in New England with Hoyer and McDaniels? Does McDaniels like Hoyer? Might all be for naught if Josh is as high on Hoyer as Lombardi is. Real good article on ESPN Cleveland about that. Also, I think I read last year that Belichick turned down a couple of second rounders for Mallet. Being a second rounder from a couple of teams...not two seconds from a team. With that in mind I would consider;

#4 (never happen)
#26 & 35 (never happen)
#35, #71 & #83 (never happen)

I could see Bill accepting #26 or #35 and either #71 or #83.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much overlap was there in New England with Hoyer and McDaniels? Does McDaniels like Hoyer? Might all be for naught if Josh is as high on Hoyer as Lombardi is. Real good article on ESPN Cleveland about that. Also, I think I read last year that Belichick turned down a couple of second rounders for Mallet. Being a second rounder from a couple of teams...not two seconds from a team. With that in mind I would consider;

#4 (never happen)
#26 & 35 (never happen)
#35, #71 & #83 (never happen)

I could see Bill accepting #26 or #35 and either #71 or #83.

There wasn't much overlap. Josh was with the Broncos from 2009-2010 and Hoyer was with the Pats from 2009-2011. McDaniels was fired in 2010 and went to the Rams in 2011 but was released and came back to the Pats for the playoffs. So it was just for the 2011 playoff run.

eric5577x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not good enough.

An early 2nd rd pick is not good enough for a back up QB who has not proved anything in the NFL? Seems pretty good to me. considering it would be the 1st pick in the 2nd.

ohiopatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forget about Mallett in Cleveland. In fact, forget about McDaniels as well. The anti-Bellichek faction here still runs very deep. GM Lombardi gets tagged consistently with the "Bellichek's man" label in the local press and it is definately not a positive reference. Local media is already panning the fact that the Browns are even willing to interview Josh. The team is trying to win back both the fans and the media, and signing ex-Pats guys is not the way to do that.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forget about Mallett in Cleveland. In fact, forget about McDaniels as well. The anti-Bellichek faction here still runs very deep. GM Lombardi gets tagged consistently with the "Bellichek's man" label in the local press and it is definately not a positive reference. Local media is already panning the fact that the Browns are even willing to interview Josh. The team is trying to win back both the fans and the media, and signing ex-Pats guys is not the way to do that.

That's great...But it's Belichick. 1 l and 2 i's.

Drawmeomg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Posts like these really bring home how lucky we are to have an organization that can make decisions based on football and not based on selling tickets and positive press. There's a reason Cleveland is the place coaches go to die, and this kind of thinking is a big part of it.

Not that I'm sure that either McDaniels or Mallett are the guys to bring in for the Browns, just the fact that this would even be a consideration is very... strange.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Posts like these really bring home how lucky we are to have an organization that can make decisions based on football and not based on selling tickets and positive press. There's a reason Cleveland is the place coaches go to die, and this kind of thinking is a big part of it.

Not that I'm sure that either McDaniels or Mallett are the guys to bring in for the Browns, just the fact that this would even be a consideration is very... strange.

We really are very lucky.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Posts like that make no sense at all. No GM is going to worry about kissing the arse of the fanbase. If the GM thinks Josh is the man for the job then you pull the trigger plain and simple. I really think Cleveland fans are the most clueless fans on the face of the earth. Look at the whole LeBron thing, James did nothing wrong but because Cleveland fans thought he should stay they are all in a tiff. It's just a dumb thing to say.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plenty of front offices put more weight into fan approval and ticket sales than winning. See Dallas.

Drawmeomg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buffalo makes an 'exciting' move almost every year to sell tickets. It's a factor in why they stay irrelevant for so long. I think it's pretty dumb, but then I'm not bleeding money owning a losing NFL franchise.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many owners need the team to make money?

Ignoring that with revenue sharing it's pretty hard not to make money, most of the owners are independently wealthy already. If a year or two of losses are what it takes to turn things around, I'd see it as worth it.

ohiopatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New England is lucky to have an owner like Robert Kraft. The problems in Cleveland go directly to the owners, especially since the original team left for Baltimore and a new team was established. Living out here, I have seen firsthand how the recent owners of the Browns treated the team like a cash cow and only paid lip service to building a true championship caliber team. Football fans in Cleveland are incredibly loyal and have been for decades. Sellouts at home games are a common occurence. However, the recent decline in the quality of the product put out on the field is starting to cut into fan loyalty. The fans are tired of waiting until next year and want a winner right now. In this climate, the current owner, Jimmy Haslam, who is already not very popular to begin with, is unwilling to risk angering the fans any more. As long as the owners treat the team as a cash cow, the sort of behavior I detailed earlier will continue. Somewhere, Paul Brown is rolling over in his grave.