• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Where is the Passion?

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was very lucky. My first hockey game was the Philadelphia Blazers agains the Whalers. It was awesome. Andre Lacroix had two goals and three assists. Some other French Canadian wearing 00 made saves that no human being had any business making....and the push back....anyone looked at Lacroix and they were buried under scarlet and gold.

Then, I started watching the Flyers...cause....it was that sport that we saw at the Civic Center...and man did they play hard. They cared. And then that French Canadian goalie was on the Flyers and they were really awesome. (I was a kid, I didn't realize he had been a Flyer and left and was coming back).

Then there were the dark times...the TEAM identity times. The "we need character and anyone can score" era. The "Anyone can be a goalie in the right system" eras.

Then they Flyers drafted "What's his name". You may know him as the Captain, or G.

He was a tiny ball of fire. He skated fast and hard. He had moves that were simply sick. His shot was great and his passing better.

Here we are today. At 29 (I think) G looks like he is 35. There is no explosion in his skating. There is no fire. When he hits the ice, you don't lean forward wondering what is going to happen next.

I don't blame him. I really don't. He has given us incredible hockey memories. That one shift in the playoffs against the Penguins in which he won the face off, decked Crosby with a clean check and then scored a goal...that was one of the best single shifts I have ever seen at any level in hockey ever. But that player is not on the ice for the Flyers. That player had fire. That player had passion.

He also was able instill that in the rest of the team. Where G goes the Flyers follow. ... not anymore Monty. G is spending most of his shifts on his heals. He has no first step pop. Many of his shots sail high and wide like a sliced shot off the tee. He claims not to be injured and we have to take him at his word. But then what is wrong? And if he isn't injured what is going on? And what is going on with the rest of the Clique of players who last year seemed to walk on water down the stretch and now...well...look like they are trying to skate on water....Voracek is also spending too much time flat footed. Ghost has been much better since he was benched, but why was that needed? and why was it such a drama? Simmonds remains streaky. Schenn has lost the ability to play effectively at even strength.

This is not about the coach. I think Hakstol has done a good job with a team that was supposed to be 3 - 5 years away WHEN HE WAS HIRED. This is supposed to be a bubble team. But that doesn't mean you quit, and that appears to be what has happened. Players for whatever reason are not playing as hard as they could/should. Big players. Players that the team needs to perform. Players who are making themselves targets to be moved.

Seriously?! This is the Flyers. The Flyers don't quit. Where is the passion?