• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What's with all the Manziel haters?

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's with all the Manziel haters? Not specifically this board but bouncing around the site there doesn't seem to be any middle ground on this guy. Either love or hate mostly hate. I know the polish rifle came down pretty hard on him. But Fran T seems to love the guy.(go figure) I watched him play and found him exciting to watch and talented. He has a Heisman too his credit.(which doesn't seem to mean much anymore) I think the kid could be a good one and he would put butts in the seats. And there is a very real possibility if the falls enough he could be wearing Horns!:whistle:

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's overrated. They did however say the same things about Cam Newton when he came out. Rightfully so tho. His pre madona attitude sucked but he seems to have grown up a bit and has become a pretty good QB.

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's probably his attitude Ozark. And his size as well. He definitely has the ability to improvise, and a winning mentality. But in today's NFL teams are looking for as close to a sure thing as possible in QB because if you swing and strike out, it could cost you for a long time......the Bradford experiment is a good example. Manziel has too much of a "wild card" quality to him for teams to be willing to gamble. Not to say he won't be a good one, but too much uncertainty overrides a willingness to gamble. Of course he was seen at a Rockets game Thursday night with Arian Foster of the Texans, so he could very well be the first pick in the draft for all anybody knows.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's probably his attitude Ozark. And his size as well. He definitely has the ability to improvise, and a winning mentality. But in today's NFL teams are looking for as close to a sure thing as possible in QB because if you swing and strike out, it could cost you for a long time......the Bradford experiment is a good example. Manziel has too much of a "wild card" quality to him for teams to be willing to gamble. Not to say he won't be a good one, but too much uncertainty overrides a willingness to gamble. Of course he was seen at a Rockets game Thursday night with Arian Foster of the Texans, so he could very well be the first pick in the draft for all anybody knows.

Very true. Everyone thinks we know whats going to happen with the first couple of picks in the Draft. This year is different however. Each top player has a lot of ??? around them. There's no real top 2 players in this years draft. In other years like Suh/Bradford and Luck/RGIII we all knew who was going first and second. I'm gonna laugh is Manziel becomes the next Brees tho with all the hate thats going around about him.

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His stock seems to be falling. Possibly making him available in the later rounds. He maybe a project. Attitude is what I want in a QB not crazy but cocky. I see him as a Fran slash Brett slash Joe N. Each and every draftee is a gamble.

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Manziel. What people seem to forget in scouting/evaluating players is field vision. Manziel has it in spades.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People can talk about attitude but who was it pulling Mike Evans back into the game during the Chick-fil-a bowl? Manziel carried that team in games and was clearly the leader of the team. He's a fiery competitor who is a dumb kid at times. Who really cares if he went to a few parties or basketball games?

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he's basically tebow's evil twin and since tebow got hate, manziel must be given hate.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jaworski doesn't like him because he doesn't see anything in Manziel's strengths that extends to the pro game. Manziel isn't going to be able to scramble for 10 seconds every pass to find the open receiver at the pro level. He's exciting and has some talent, but he's not your prototypical QB prospect by far.

As far as the Cam comparisons, Manziel doesn't come close in terms of size and power (or arm).

T'N'T

L-I-V-I-N
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too many sports fans base all their opinions on what SportsCenter is spewing. Merrill Hodge blasts Manziel on ESPN the other day and suddenly the consensus is "bust".

Yes, Merrill Hodge...the same guy who now says he'd rather have Michael Sam over Clowney. I'd rather get my NFL news from al jazeera than ESPN.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's right Shopson. Isn't Manziel a rightie Michael Vick. Same size and build, same scrambling and competitiveness, and look what all those things got Vick. Relegated to a nearly also-ran status. Granted, the off-the-field-issues may not compare to the same degree but they both have them. If Houston likes this guy all the power to them.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's with all the Manziel haters? Not specifically this board but bouncing around the site there doesn't seem to be any middle ground on this guy. Either love or hate mostly hate. I know the polish rifle came down pretty hard on him. But Fran T seems to love the guy.(go figure) I watched him play and found him exciting to watch and talented. He has a Heisman too his credit.(which doesn't seem to mean much anymore) I think the kid could be a good one and he would put butts in the seats. And there is a very real possibility if the falls enough he could be wearing Horns!:whistle:

There's some hate there but most of what I'm reading is more questions - and they're justifiable.

People question his size - not so much is height as the ability to take a pounding over the long haul with his style of play.

People question whether or not he's mature enough to lead an offense given his signing autographs for money when he knew he was in the spotlight, and the things he said prior to the combine.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone here is basing their opinions on SportsCenter or especially Hoge.

Where is the precedent for Manziel to be successful in the NFL? RG3? He lasted less than a season before he was beaten to a pulp, and he's much more talented than Manziel. Flutie, lol? Tebow? Tarkenton was drafted 53 years ago and was a third rounder.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's right Shopson. Isn't Manziel a rightie Michael Vick. Same size and build, same scrambling and competitiveness, and look what all those things got Vick. Relegated to a nearly also-ran status. Granted, the off-the-field-issues may not compare to the same degree but they both have them. If Houston likes this guy all the power to them.

Vick is a much more special athlete than Manziel. Blazing speed, cannon arm; Manziel has neither.

T'N'T

L-I-V-I-N
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, the Tebow comparison are reeetarded. Tebow had/has a release that is too damn slow for most flag football leagues. Even after working with passing coaches, Teebs cocked the ball down and below his waist, a major No-Go when under the NFL pass rush. Manziel has the throwing mechanics but his knock is he wants to run as soon as he feels any pressure. I'll admit that is a problem for any NFL quarterback; not because Johnny can't make shit happen with his feet in the NFL but much like Mike Vick, it will only be a matter of time before taking all those hits knocks his ass out of a season or two.

Much, much easier for an NFL quarterback to learn to get comfortable in the pocket as opposed to teach a guy to change the way he throws (Tebow) after doing it since youth. Vick will never be the perfect NFL quarterback but even his game has matured to where he makes more reads and runs less. Cam Newton has the size to take hits in the NFL but ironically he's adjusted to playing in the pocket, stomaching the pressure, and using a quick release. Johnny may or may not be there but mechanically, he's good and athletically we know he's great.

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know if many remember but when Elway came in to the league he had a pretty good motor. Pulled the ball down and ran quite abit. But he learned. Between getting hit and being coached up he learned. Isn't that what the coaches are for? I will say Elway was a bigger guy maybe allowing him to take the hits better.

T'N'T

L-I-V-I-N
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know if many remember but when Elway came in to the league he had a pretty good motor. Pulled the ball down and ran quite abit. But he learned. Between getting hit and being coached up he learned. Isn't that what the coaches are for? I will say Elway was a bigger guy maybe allowing him to take the hits better.
If Manziel matures and is willing to learn, he'll be fine. I really hate to think this but his best fit is in Minnesota and working with Norv Turner. Norv did a lot to develop Rivers into an NFL quarterback and if you think back, Rivers was a little more mobile at NC State than he is now. Spielman also needs to save his job this season and if Manziel can put together a scat rookie campaign like Vick and even Tebow once did, he'll be back for 2015.

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Manziel matures and is willing to learn, he'll be fine. I really hate to think this but his best fit is in Minnesota and working with Norv Turner. Norv did a lot to develop Rivers into an NFL quarterback and if you think back, Rivers was a little more mobile at NC State than he is now. Spielman also needs to save his job this season and if Manziel can put together a scat rookie campaign like Vick and even Tebow once did, he'll be back for 2015.
You are right he may very well end up a Vik.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vick wasn't a worker. He even admitted that. He said there were lays in Atlanta where he didn't know the play he was saying because he didn't know the offense. Manziel is a worker. Look at how much his fundamentals improved from year 1 to year 2 largely based on all that work he put in with those specialized QB coaches over the summer. I think a Russell Wilson comparison makes much more sense. He's a more athletic Wilson to me with pretty comparable passing skills.

I think a lot of his success depends on where he goes. If he goes to Oakland or Cleveland he's toast.

T'N'T

L-I-V-I-N
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vick wasn't a worker. He even admitted that. He said there were lays in Atlanta where he didn't know the play he was saying because he didn't know the offense. Manziel is a worker. Look at how much his fundamentals improved from year 1 to year 2 largely based on all that work he put in with those specialized QB coaches over the summer. I think a Russell Wilson comparison makes much more sense. He's a more athletic Wilson to me with pretty comparable passing skills.

I think a lot of his success depends on where he goes. If he goes to Oakland or Cleveland he's toast.

Well said! I watched a lot of Texas A&M the last 2 years and I felt like Johnny progressed a lot as a passer last season.