• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What's everyones thought on Welker

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm reading some things here and there that say the Broncos may really consider releasing him, rather than have his $8 million salary hit the cap. Correct me if I'm wrong on that, but that's what I understood.

He played damn good ball for us this year, and even when you think about the money we'd save, it'd be really hard to stomach losing him.

Even with the concussions last year (one which was kind of a fluke play), I'd say we should definitely keep him.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they cut Welker. I think that rumor was started by some patriot fan that wants him back on the team. I think we save 6 mil cutting him. I assume we are losing Decker in FA; losing Decker and Welker could really set the offense back.

Also, Welker is a FA after the 2014 season. We are in a SB or bust mode with Manning so we can use the weapons now. After the 2014 season we will probably shift things and not re-sign Welker using his money for one of the many FA we will have after the season and building this team for the long haul.

On top of that, someone mentioned earlier, there are other players that can be cut and deals restructured that will get us the money we would save without the loss of production. Kuper, Tamme, Dreessen are my top three. Champ can take a pay cut or get cut. Those moves alone will probably save us somewhere around 12 mil.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm reading some things here and there that say the Broncos may really consider releasing him, rather than have his $8 million salary hit the cap. Correct me if I'm wrong on that, but that's what I understood.

He played damn good ball for us this year, and even when you think about the money we'd save, it'd be really hard to stomach losing him.

Even with the concussions last year (one which was kind of a fluke play), I'd say we should definitely keep him.

It's offseason. Broncos sources have said nothing of the sort. This is all coming from media types like Mike Florio who have nothing better to write. It's simply pure, reckless speculation from analysts too lazy to really look at Denver's salary cap situation.

The same rumor suggests that Denver could pursue Edelman, and Welker would then be cleared to return to NE. It's simply not realistic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Miked383

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's offseason. Broncos sources have said nothing of the sort. This is all coming from media types like Mike Florio who have nothing better to write. It's simply pure, reckless speculation from analysts too lazy to really look at Denver's salary cap situation.

The same rumor suggests that Denver could pursue Edelman, and Welker would then be cleared to return to NE. It's simply not realistic.

I agree with this. The article was just saying that the Broncos will have to decide if they want to pay Welker based on cap numbers. I think they will, he performed well last year overall and I think he will be an even bigger asset this year with the likely loss of Decker.

I am wondering what we will do about return duties, Holiday seemed to lose the trust of everyone on punt returns and he still scares me on kickoffs. We need to add someone that can make a difference without giving the Broncos fans a heart attack everytime Holiday touches the ball.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see anyway that Welker is gone. With Manning only having a couple of years left they won't want to keep changing up his receiving core every year. Usually year 2 and 3 with a player is where everything starts to click so with how well he and Manning clicked in year one I expect even more in year two. Throw in the Broncos are actually sitting pretty nicely right now with the Cap. A few moves and the Broncos could actually be in the top 10 of teams with Cap Space. So again no reason to cut a player that was actually productive. I know the concussions are somewhat a concern but right now I think he will be fine.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this. The article was just saying that the Broncos will have to decide if they want to pay Welker based on cap numbers. I think they will, he performed well last year overall and I think he will be an even bigger asset this year with the likely loss of Decker.

I am wondering what we will do about return duties, Holiday seemed to lose the trust of everyone on punt returns and he still scares me on kickoffs. We need to add someone that can make a difference without giving the Broncos fans a heart attack everytime Holiday touches the ball.

McCluster may be available :whistle:

Holliday seems to be improving, at least that was my take as the season progressed. Again, he did an excellent job handling that pooch kick from the Patriots. Welker has had a few issues too, and Decker, for whatever reason, can't seem to stay on his feet in the open field...ha! I'm not sure I'm ready to give up on Holliday yet, but by the same token I wouldn't be against drafting someone with similar ability just in case.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see the Broncos drafting another guy in the late rounds as a punt/kick off returner. A guy like De'Anthony Thomas is considered possibly the fastest guy in college football and because of injury concerns could really slide down draft boards to the 6th or 7th round. He also offers some nice ability as a running back and even as a receiver.

I am definitely ready to move on from the Holiday experiment. I know not everybody is but I would rather have a guy I know will catch it every time back there.

Miked383

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see the Broncos drafting another guy in the late rounds as a punt/kick off returner. A guy like De'Anthony Thomas is considered possibly the fastest guy in college football and because of injury concerns could really slide down draft boards to the 6th or 7th round. He also offers some nice ability as a running back and even as a receiver.

I am definitely ready to move on from the Holiday experiment. I know not everybody is but I would rather have a guy I know will catch it every time back there.

Part of the problem with Holiday is that at the end of the year he was only returning kickoffs, we needed someone else to return punts and he doesn't really play any other position. It is difficult to justify a roster spot on someone to only return kickoffs.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of the problem with Holiday is that at the end of the year he was only returning kickoffs, we needed someone else to return punts and he doesn't really play any other position. It is difficult to justify a roster spot on someone to only return kickoffs.

I agree. I think the coaches not trusting him with punt returns in the playoffs should be a huge showing of just how far in the dog house this kid has gone. He went from being one of the most feared punt returners at the beginning of the year to the bench when the team needed him most. Just don't see him coming back and the team just moving forward with some more sure hands.

I will admit I will miss his speed and just opportunity for a big play at any time but it just became not worth it when he was fumbling more than actually having a big return by the seasons end. Would love to keep him for kick off return duty but like you said hard to justify a roster spot for a guy that will only be in on a handful of plays like him.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want Decker back but dont see that happening. Welker only has one more year on his deal he mine as well stick around.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holliday is a bum. He isnt worth the few big plays he makes during the season over fumbles and bad field position taking the ball out 9 yards deep.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holliday is a bum. He isnt worth the few big plays he makes during the season over fumbles and bad field position taking the ball out 9 yards deep.
I have to agree with Malibu but not on the bum department. He ( Hoilday) just doesn`t seem to get it. Inside the 10( 0n punts) stay clear and 8-10 you get touch back. On kickoffs, don`t run in back mid to back of end zone. I`am sure he was told this 100 times and still fkdup. I understand his frustration of not touching ball and wanted to contribute but you still have to be smart and think team over individual glory. Can`t imagine he`s going to be teachable after this long. If they dump him....no surprise. They can find a guy to replace him and also be a wr weapon which he wasn`t.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as Welker, Decker,etc. Love to have them both back but I still would not be "shocked" if Denver does move some big key names before next season. I have a feeling were all going to expierience some......WTFs, YEAH Baby, OMGs, Brillant!, etc before next season. I`am looking forward to what Denver brass does and the crazy shit all over the NFL. Going to be a wild ride I think.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as Welker, Decker,etc. Love to have them both back but I still would not be "shocked" if Denver does move some big key names before next season. I have a feeling were all going to expierience some......WTFs, YEAH Baby, OMGs, Brillant!, etc before next season. I`am looking forward to what Denver brass does and the crazy shit all over the NFL. Going to be a wild ride I think.

The Patriots don't want Welker back. He left because he wanted to go. We don't need Welker, we have a good slot in Edelman - and Edelman will be cheaper.
Denver won't let Welker go because he is a proven commodity and you know he'll perform. I'm guessing they will try to get him to restructure and I believe Welker will be all for that. Welker is gone when Peyton retires.....

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Patriots don't want Welker back. He left because he wanted to go. We don't need Welker, we have a good slot in Edelman - and Edelman will be cheaper.
Denver won't let Welker go because he is a proven commodity and you know he'll perform. I'm guessing they will try to get him to restructure and I believe Welker will be all for that. Welker is gone when Peyton retires.....

I'd rather have Julian Edelman over Welker any day. Not saying it'll happen, but just sayin. Welker is one big hit away from being retired. Welker is smart and won't take a chance with serious injury.

I can't see how we resign Deck. He'll command more than the Broncos can pay..especially with DT coming due after next season.

IMO, we can't get rid of Holliday fast enough. I have ZERO faith in him.

Gotta keep DRC and find him some help back there too. If Champ wants to stay, he needs to move to Safety.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather have Julian Edelman over Welker any day. Not saying it'll happen, but just sayin. Welker is one big hit away from being retired. Welker is smart and won't take a chance with serious injury.

I can't see how we resign Deck. He'll command more than the Broncos can pay..especially with DT coming due after next season.

Gotta keep DRC and find him some help back there too. If Champ wants to stay, he needs to move to Safety.

Hmmmm.... that's the exact same thing all the Manning doubters said about Manning. Welker is far and away a much more talented WR than Edelman is. I'd rather stand pat and keep Welker.

Miked383

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wow, that surprises me. Edelman over Welker? I think you have a bit of a distorted view of the two based on the situations the two were in last year. Welker was one of 4 tremendous options for Manning this season. Edelman was the best of no good options for much of the season for Brady. You put Edelman on the Broncos this last year and he wouldn't have been active for most games.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welker is one big hit away from being retired.

I hate this argument. I realize Welker has had a lot of concussions but everyone in the NFL is one big hit away from retirement.

If it really came down to it, get a WR in the draft over chasing Edelman. This team is on the edge of needing to build for the long term. We can realistically expect 2 maybe 3 years from Manning and then things are going to get interesting at Mile High.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate this argument. I realize Welker has had a lot of concussions but everyone in the NFL is one big hit away from retirement.

If it really came down to it, get a WR in the draft over chasing Edelman. This team is on the edge of needing to build for the long term. We can realistically expect 2 maybe 3 years from Manning and then things are going to get interesting at Mile High.

Yeah, it's the same argument us Bronco fans hated when it was used to claim Manning was washed up. It's a lazy argument if you ask me. Kevin Everett and Reggie Brown were only in their second years, and they were out of football after that "one hit". It's an occupational hazard.

Edelman's just another example of the grass looking greener somewhere else. In reality he's not in the same league as Welker. Sure he had numbers in an offense barren at WR, but Welker is much more refined in his routes.

Welker's replacement will come via draft or inexpensive FA. That's they way it should work if you're going to have a team that has SB potential regularly. Steelers are hitting a soft patch right now, but you look at their past there were very few seasons where they weren't contenders. It's because they try to keep the roster fresh, so that when a player is getting long in the tooth, they have his back-up ready to take over. That's the kind of team we need, and I believe it's the type of team Elway is trying to build. In the meantime, it's important to enjoy the dominant players while they're on our roster insteasd of wishing we had someone else who "looks" like the better option. 9 times out of 10 that's only an illusion anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It just doesn't make sense to me if we are dropping Welker because of injury concerns to then replace him with a guy with even more injury concerns. Edelman has only played in every game once in his career and it wasn't just because he was a back up to Welker. Even in his limited snaps he managed to break his arm and break his leg. Sorry I would just rather stick with Welker who has a nice connection with Manning. Also Welker did not have any concussion concerns until this past season. IF we should be concerned for him it would make more sense to be concerned about ankle and knee issues as he has had some concern with them.