• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What would you ask/take for Joey Votto

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the news that Joey Votto will most likely not be 100% for the rest of the season when he comes off the DL, and given the fact he will be 31 in September, what would you do with him if you owned him in a keeper league?
Would you hold on to him and hope for the best or would you trade him?
And if you were to trade him, what kind of value would you accept in return?

I have an offer of Matt Latos. Part of me see's this as selling low, but part of me wonders if that value will go even lower if he returns from the DL and continues to put up slumping numbers. Is Latos acceptable or would you want more?

And I don't need him as I traded for Goldschmidt before last season so first base is covered. Joey's been with me since his rookie season so my vision is kinda clouded on this one, it's a heart pick.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep him... The problem with that report, is that he has lost much trade value... And now people would be afraid to trade for him... But he still has similar value, because its not like his eyes are hurt... He is still going to walk at an elite level... Which still means is OBP should be elite, and therefore he still should be scoring runs... So what if instead of 25 HRs he now hits 17??? Let him Prove his value to the league before selling low on him...

I would be looking for more than latos, especially since he has not had one pitch yet this season...

Last edited by a moderator:

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you can still get more...
Latos is who I'd want if he was done for the year.
I think there's still value to be had...possibly not for long, if the news gets worse.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep him... The problem with that report, is that he has lost much trade value... And now people would be afraid to trade for him... But he still has similar value, because its not like his eyes are hurt... He is still going to walk at an elite level... Which still means is OBP should be elite, and therefore he still should be scoring runs... So what if instead of 25 HRs he now hits 17??? Let him Prove his value to the league before selling low on him...

I would be looking for more than latos, especially since he has not had one pitch yet this season...

I don't trust Latos much, do I wouldn't do that. I turned down Votto for Josh Hamilton, but that really was only because I have EE and Allen Craig, and my OF is lacking. I'm still re-thinking that.

One caveat on OBP, though. It ain't everything, especially from a power position.

In my humble opinion. :rollseyes:

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't trust Latos much, do I wouldn't do that. I turned down Votto for Josh Hamilton, but that really was only because I have EE and Allen Craig, and my OF is lacking. I'm still re-thinking that.

One caveat on OBP, though. It ain't everything, especially from a power position.

Of course, but it is enough to not be forced into selling low...

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, but it is enough to not be forced into selling low...

Aw, I'm in that league with Rev, he ain't sellin' low. Probably just trying to get my attention.

And maybe it worked. :laugh3:

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aw, I'm in that league with Rev, he ain't sellin' low. Probably just trying to get my attention.

Of course it worked, you love your trades...

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not take Latos. I would target someone younger. Votto isn't done, he'll have a hot streak somewhere... wait it out.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

His power numbers were fine for a 1B. I swear, you'd think Votto was turning into Joe Mauer or something.

Keith Hernandez wasn't a power hitter. He was a very good 1B (and probably should be in the HOF).

Last edited by a moderator:

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's because of you and Paul I hesitated posting this. You are correct Chef, I'm not selling low. Just trying to gauge his value right now. I'll let you know when I'm ready to trade.

I'm a huge fan of Votto (obviously), but I know others are down on him so I was looking for those contrasting opinions. Where are the Votto haters at:noidea:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not deal him for less than 3rd round value in a redraft and 4th/5th in a keeper. I think you are better off holding him and hoping he is able to produce then you are selling him at a discount. There could not be a worse time to deal him.

Right now is comparable to where we sat with Ryan Braun in early April when the thumb news came out. Wait until Votto has a couple huge games and then let the offers flow.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking of trading him for Kipnis if I can.