• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What will happen if

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missouri beats Bama

Wisconsin beats OSU

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The winners of both would be the most eligible for a playoff spot. I'm guessing Missouri would be above Wisconsin in the rotation, and from there you move everyone who lost down(out of it basically, baring mass losses), and everyone else up.

So you'd have FSU, Oregon in. Then either TCU/Baylor, and then Missouri most likely. The interesting thing would be if they took TCU/Baylor into the playoffs over Missouri. That could happen. The rankings this week will hint to the order of those things, have to see how high up Missouri and Wisconsin are starting up and if the 2 Big12 teams are ahead of them.

Also will be interesting to see which direction the fans of Big12 teams who have cried mulligan for the past 3 years and on and on about "Conference Champs" support in such a debate. I'm honestly not opposed to both teams making it and leaving a 2 loss SEC champ out, depending on how well they play. But my gut says Missouri in first because "Conference Champ".

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The winners of both would be the most eligible for a playoff spot. I'm guessing Missouri would be above Wisconsin in the rotation, and from there you move everyone who lost down(out of it basically, baring mass losses), and everyone else up.

So you'd have FSU, Oregon in. Then either TCU/Baylor, and then Missouri most likely. The interesting thing would be if they took TCU/Baylor into the playoffs over Missouri. That could happen. The rankings this week will hint to the order of those things, have to see how high up Missouri and Wisconsin are starting up and if the 2 Big12 teams are ahead of them.

Also will be interesting to see which direction the fans of Big12 teams who have cried mulligan for the past 3 years and on and on about "Conference Champs" support in such a debate. I'm honestly not opposed to both teams making it and leaving a 2 loss SEC champ out, depending on how well they play. But my gut says Missouri in first because "Conference Champ".

What an interesting switch you've made. At the end of October, you had a different perspective, check out the underlined bold sentence…

It's easy to draw that conclusion considering that is what the very first ranking did, and the entire purpose for the rankings being released like this was to get people familiar with the way it worked so the final results wouldn't come as a shock.

I agree SEC teams will knock each other off. It will start this weekend because Auburn and Ole Miss will play, so 1 of them will obviously drop out of the playoff picture.

Disagree however about the importance of conference champion and all that. If we have a repeat of the 2011 scenario somehow, the playoffs will most definitely have 2 SEC teams in it. And that's not just "SEC", that would be any conference in a similar state/scenario.

I posed this to you on that thread (in bold), and here was your response (in italic)…

Quote:
We have no idea if the playoff committee supports your argument. We have not reached the end of the season. I know they will put the 4 best teams in the playoffs. I have no problem if those 4 consist of 2 SEC teams… or 2 teams from any other conference that are found deserving.

They demonstrated yesterday that they will put in the 4 best teams, not conference champions.

Funny how that works. If Mizzou wins the SEC CG they have the worst loss of any conference champion… even tOSU.

As I said in bold above, the most deserving 4 teams deserve to play in the CFP… and that would not include a Mizzou team that lost to fucking Indiana… at home!

Last edited by a moderator:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What an interesting switch you've made. At the end of October, you had a different perspective, check out the underlined bold sentence…

I posed this to you on that thread (in bold), and here was your response (in italic)…

Quote:
We have no idea if the playoff committee supports your argument. We have not reached the end of the season. I know they will put the 4 best teams in the playoffs. I have no problem if those 4 consist of 2 SEC teams… or 2 teams from any other conference that are found deserving.

They demonstrated yesterday that they will put in the 4 best teams, not conference champions.

Funny how that works. If Mizzou wins the SEC CG they have the worst loss of any conference champion… even tOSU.

As I said in bold above, the most deserving 4 teams deserve to play in the CFP… and that would not include a Mizzou team that lost to fucking Indiana… at home!

Is reading hard for you?

I said plain as day I support Baylor and TCU being in above a 2 loss SEC. I said that Missouri might get in above them because "conference champs". Also involved in that is they have to beat Alabama in order to do so. But that I put them in quotes should tell you what I've said over and over, that I think it's just label and is dumb.

I said further that this weeks rankings will provide insight into the direction they will go. The first polls indicated they weren't making a big deal about conference champions, the next polls will show if that holds true once we have actual championship games.

Just how butthurt are you right now that I answer a guys question and you have to come in and try and call me out on something you aren't even right about?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is reading hard for you?

I said plain as day I support Baylor and TCU being in above a 2 loss SEC. I said that Missouri might get in above them because "conference champs". Also involved in that is they have to beat Alabama in order to do so. But that I put them in quotes should tell you what I've said over and over, that I think it's just label and is dumb.

I said further that this weeks rankings will provide insight into the direction they will go. The first polls indicated they weren't making a big deal about conference champions, the next polls will show if that holds true once we have actual championship games.

Just how butthurt are you right now that I answer a guys question and you have to come in and try and call me out on something you aren't even right about?

No… reading isn't hard for me. Why would you ask?

Your point about the first poll was complete nonsense. There was no way to ascertain the committee's direction as the regular season had not been completed. What I said to you then was as true then as it is today.

You said a month ago you did not feel conference champ was a big deal to the committee, now you feel it will be decision maker.

I'm not butthurt… although I find it funny how often you throw that around. Not very original are you? Too funny you are.

No, I just call out your bullshit. No different than any other poster. Ask WVU DAD…

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the problem I have with reading 4down…

But my gut says Missouri in first because "Conference Champ".

You even emphasize the Conference Champ by not only putting it in upper case… but putting it in quotation marks for some strange reason.

I love how it contradicts your stance from the end of October when DC started a thread on SEC bias with regard to the LSU ranking…. then you clearly felt differently about the whole conference champ quotient..

Disagree however about the importance of conference champion and all that.

See my problem? :lol:

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would also scramble things up if GT beats FSU

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the winner of the Arizona-Oregon game is in for sure

and deserve to be

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they need to go to 8 playoff teams, the power 5 champs automatic birth, one from the other conferences what ever team from the AAC, MAC, Sunbelt, C-USA ect. that is ranked the highest, and 2 at large.

Since ND is part of the ACC their birth depends on their finish according to that.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you unable to tell the difference between a factor and the only factor? There are multiple factors. When any such factor is highlighted in a given time it doesn't mean it's the only factor, it doesn't mean that it's the deciding factor, it means that all other factors are pretty much equal except for that factor.

If Missouri gets that spot, they have to beat Alabama to do so and they get that added to their resume. They then have the 2 losses to overcome. If conference champions was the biggest factor and whatever, then TCU wouldn't be above Baylor.

So as I told him, we will see how much they value Wisconsin and Mizzou in this weeks poll and that will give us a good idea. If Mizzou is way down, then conference champion isn't going to matter. If it gets real close, then conference champion could be enough to make the difference.

Or, I guess you can still keep thinking that everything is 1 extreme or the other and all that.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they need to go to 8 playoff teams, the power 5 champs automatic birth, one from the other conferences what ever team from the AAC, MAC, Sunbelt, C-USA ect. that is ranked the highest, and 2 at large.

Since ND is part of the ACC their birth depends on their finish according to that.

If you go to 8 teams, do you really need to give the p5 teams automatic spots? I mean at that point, if your P5 conference champ doesn't make the top8, then that team really just does not belong. It's going to have to be teams like 8-4 Wisconsin winning the Big10 that wouldn't make the top8, and did that team really belong?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It will go to an 8 team playoff… in the very near future.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the winner of the Arizona-Oregon game is in for sure

and deserve to be

Arizona has 2 losses however. They are tricky the same way Missouri is.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you unable to tell the difference between a factor and the only factor? There are multiple factors. When any such factor is highlighted in a given time it doesn't mean it's the only factor, it doesn't mean that it's the deciding factor, it means that all other factors are pretty much equal except for that factor.

No… why would you ask? I provided the direct paragraph from the CFP website regarding the decision process used for ranking by the committee. Did you forget this fact?

College Football Playoff

What criteria will the selection committee use to rank the teams?
The committee will select the teams using a process that distinguishes among otherwise comparable teams by considering conference championships won, strength of schedule, head-to-head competition, comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory) and other relevant factors that may have affected a team’s performance during the season or likely will affect its postseason performance.
If Missouri gets that spot, they have to beat Alabama to do so and they get that added to their resume. They then have the 2 losses to overcome. If conference champions was the biggest factor and whatever, then TCU wouldn't be above Baylor.

It clearly mentions the various factors involved. You were the one who argued on that thread you disagreed with the importance of conference champs.

I always felt the committee was straightforward… they would put the 4 best teams in the playoff… if there are teams considered close, the conference champion factor would be important. As I noted above… you felt otherwise.

So as I told him, we will see how much they value Wisconsin and Mizzou in this weeks poll and that will give us a good idea. If Mizzou is way down, then conference champion isn't going to matter. If it gets real close, then conference champion could be enough to make the difference.

Or, I guess you can still keep thinking that everything is 1 extreme or the other and all that.

Yep… this is a reasonable point. As I have noted, a much different stance than what you threw at us before. All your garbage about how the committee wasn't valuing conference champions based on their first ranking.

Like I told you on that thread… your arrogance won't play well on this board.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you go to 8 teams, do you really need to give the p5 teams automatic spots? I mean at that point, if your P5 conference champ doesn't make the top8, then that team really just does not belong. It's going to have to be teams like 8-4 Wisconsin winning the Big10 that wouldn't make the top8, and did that team really belong?

Absolutely need to have all Power 5 teams included. Simply look at this year. FSU is undefeated in a terrible ACC. As they continue to narrowly beat unimpressive teams, they fail to fall out of the top 4. Other than the fact they're undefeated, they've done nothing to deserve their current ranking.

No way anyone can justify their inclusion over a Wisky team you've hypothesized for us…

What if that 4 loss Wisky team owned 4 victories over top 25, two of them top 10 teams, but lost 4 games to top 25 teams. While an undefeated FSU team beat only 1 top 25 ranked teams… a #24 team?

I mean we can make up all kinds of silly scenarios here…

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If emperor Saban loses to Mizzou, no SEC team makes it.

Unfortunately the refs will keep that from happening.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If emperor Saban loses to Mizzou, no SEC team makes it.

Unfortunately the refs will keep that from happening.

Did you know that the stats actually paint the opposite picture? In games, Alabama has been one of the most penalized teams, while opponents playing Alabama have been one of the least penalized teams.

Opponents penalties:

cfbstats.com - 2014 National Team Leaders

Alabama is ranked 126th out of 128 teams, meaning 125 teams had opponents with more penalties a game.

Meanwhile, Alabama is the 33rd most penalized team in the country.

cfbstats.com - 2014 National Team Leaders

But I guess this is par for the course amongst a bunch of fans who believe anyone who is doing better than them is obviously cheating.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No… why would you ask? I provided the direct paragraph from the CFP website regarding the decision process used for ranking by the committee. Did you forget this fact?

College Football Playoff

It clearly mentions the various factors involved. You were the one who argued on that thread you disagreed with the importance of conference champs.

I always felt the committee was straightforward… they would put the 4 best teams in the playoff… if there are teams considered close, the conference champion factor would be important. As I noted above… you felt otherwise.

Yep… this is a reasonable point. As I have noted, a much different stance than what you threw at us before. All your garbage about how the committee wasn't valuing conference champions based on their first ranking.

Like I told you on that thread… your arrogance won't play well on this board.

Let me know if you ever decide to see that there is a middle area in things.

But as for "arrogance" - :lol: You are upset because I dare go against a bunch of people. If I wanted to get along with you, I would. It's not that hard to just excuse the stupid bullshit. I choose not too. Get over yourself.