• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What were they thinking

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How the hell do you think you can put together an offense when you're last in the league in o-line spending (over half less than 2nd worst) and you're starting UFA's? Who in their right mind would think that would work? The thing that really bugs me is the whole how great Wilson looks in QB school crap.

I've taken a lot of heat over this crap but this org has been completely misguided since PC (yes, St. Pete deserves a lot of the blame) since he took over. The only reason this shit ever worked is because of Wilson. And now we're running him into the ground.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasted season.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's frustrating that we lost.We only have so much money to spend.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep... If we spent it on the OL and not on the defense, we'd be complaining about the defense...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep... If we spent it on the OL and not on the defense, we'd be complaining about the defense...

The bigger problem for me is the injuries. Losing Locket probably for the season really sucks.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Apparently we have no money to spend on the o-line. Kearse has more guaranteed money on his 3 year deal than we had a cap hit for the entire offensive line. And it's questionable whether he should be on the team. It's a failed experiment.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently we have no money to spend on the o-line. Kearse has more guaranteed money on his 3 year deal than we had a cap hit for the entire offensive line. And it's questionable whether he should be on the team. It's a failed experiment.
Meh he having a piss poor year but he's not making a mega contract. Finding OL is a challenge, hoping the front office is up to it.

Guywithtoaster

Don't bane the dillies!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,515.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Football is won in the trenches. Majority of the money should go to the OL and DL

Guywithtoaster

Don't bane the dillies!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,515.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They showed an interesting stat during the game which showed that during Seattle's super bowl winning seasons they had the highest paid OL in the league and compared it to this season when they're last in OL spending. If Wilson is going to be the highest paid guy on the team they should put money in protecting him as well.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They showed an interesting stat during the game which showed that during Seattle's super bowl winning seasons they had the highest paid OL in the league and compared it to this season when they're last in OL spending. If Wilson is going to be the highest paid guy on the team they should put money in protecting him as well.
Well that's interesting , but truly that OL wasn't all that good. I'm all for a great OL, but most NFL teams are searching of a better OL.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The amount they spend isn't the issue. You can build a great line cheap if you can draft worth a piss for that unit. Maybe just try drafting guys that actually played some O line in college. Start there. Give up this BS about converted D linemen or dudes that played basketball.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hopefully we see changes when we get beat at home in the playoffs.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That defense is special though, they wanted to keep that group together as long as possible and it cost a lot of money to do it, We also had to open the check-book for Wilson... Pete and John made the decision to pick the O-line as a spot of youth and low pay.. I think Russ's mobility made them feel confident they could get away with it...

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of weird to call a season "wasted" when the team is going to the playoffs and still has a shot at a bye in the first round. They've been going with the cheap offensive line for a few years now and this is the first time it's come back to bite them in the ass with the injuries to Wilson. The cap is going up by about $10 million this offseason, so there's going to be room to improve the offensive line once the season is over. Besides, the offensive line, as I've said many times, has been one of the main problems, if not the main problem, on this team for about a decade now. Spend a little or spend a lot, this organization can't put a good offensive line together and that stretches all the way back to the end of the Holmgren/Ruskell era.

Anyway... as bad as the offensive looked in the first half today, and it looked as bad as I've ever seen it look, they looked much better in the second half. Unfortunately, the defense fell off a cliff in the 4th quarter and the special teams wasn't particularly good either. Today's loss was frustrating for many reasons, not just the offensive line play in the first half. I do agree, however, that if they're gonna go cheap on the offensive line, they should at least do it with actual offensive linemen. If they want an offensive line that doesn't require them to have to start from scratch on one or more positions every year, they need to stop using guys whose learning curves take half a season or more to straighten out.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that's interesting , but truly that OL wasn't all that good. I'm all for a great OL, but most NFL teams are searching of a better OL.

Well Okung was very decent when healthy, he just couldn't keep it up after that Super Bowl year. Unger was very good, he was an all pro center. There was some decent activity on the right side before it get snatched away in FA. Seattle found a lot of the defensive talent cheap via the draft and spent the money on the O-Line, and then that flipped big time with money going to the D and complete neglect for the O-Line while giving out absolutely stupid contracts to guys like Jeremy Lane and Kearse.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of weird to call a season "wasted" when the team is going to the playoffs and still has a shot at a bye in the first round. They've been going with the cheap offensive line for a few years now and this is the first time it's come back to bite them in the ass with the injuries to Wilson. The cap is going up by about $10 million this offseason, so there's going to be room to improve the offensive line once the season is over. Besides, the offensive line, as I've said many times, has been one of the main problems, if not the main problem, on this team for about a decade now. Spend a little or spend a lot, this organization can't put a good offensive line together and that stretches all the way back to the end of the Holmgren/Ruskell era.

Anyway... as bad as the offensive looked in the first half today, and it looked as bad as I've ever seen it look, they looked much better in the second half. Unfortunately, the defense fell off a cliff in the 4th quarter and the special teams wasn't particularly good either. Today's loss was frustrating for many reasons, not just the offensive line play in the first half. I do agree, however, that if they're gonna go cheap on the offensive line, they should at least do it with actual offensive linemen. If they want an offensive line that doesn't require them to have to start from scratch on one or more positions every year, they need to stop using guys whose learning curves take half a season or more to straighten out.

You know why it's wasted? Because we have all the things you need to win the SB except for one of the most essential pieces. And what really rubs be wrong is this:

Seahawks Coach Pete Carroll Takes Quarterback Russell Wilson To School

I bought the bs. That somehow Wilson was going to overcome, would be super-extra-special and get over the lack of spending on the offensive line, and the offense would miraculously justify the QB's fat salary.

It's fucking unicorns and rainbows. PC is clueless on offense and a genius on defense. That's why his OC's do great (the ones he respects) while his DC's suck when they leave. He needs a guy like Sark (when he's sober) or Kiffin or Chow because he can just not think about that crap and do his thing. We don't have that here.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ive thought kiffin would be a good fit. Maybe we could snag him if alabama wins another title

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm tired of the whole "we haven't invested in the OL" mantra. BS we haven't. Money isn't the only coin of the realm. Draft picks are investments too. 1st rounder on Okung, 1st rounder on Carpenter, 2nd rounder on Moffitt, 2nd rounder on Britt, 1st rounder on Ifedi, 3rd rounder on Odhiambo. Glowinski is a 4th rounder. I agree this year's OL is bad, but you cannot put 4 of 5 guys in as starters at their positions for the 1st time and expect it to be good right away. Thinking we are going to go out in the off-season and buy a new line is nuts. Depending on how the coaches grade out Fant's progress, RT is probably the only spot where we may make a big move, but Odhiambo may be the player they have projected to take that over....or put Odhiambo at RG and push Ifedi out to T.