• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What We Learned From The Super Bowl

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) a great defense still trumps a great offense (4 out of 5 SB's now ). Defense still wins championships.

2) you don't need superstar WR's to be successful. I think everyone can agree that Denver's WR's are better than Seattle's and where did that get them?

3) a teams offense doesn't have to be great when the defense can shut down the opponents offense.

So, where does that leave the Rams?

Well, the Rams D is good, but it's not great like Seattle's. I was originally thinking the Rams should fix the OL first and foremost regardless of what Fisher has done in the past. However, now I am thinking unless the Rams just get a killer offer for the #2 pick, they should take Clowney at #2 and a safety at #13. Then, address the OL in rounds 2-5 ( not all of those picks being OL of course ). Probably draft a QB somewhere in there as well.

I don't see the Rams WR's being that far off from what Seattle has, so I think they can use what they have. Maybe grab one in that 2nd-5th round range with a QB and a couple of OL.

If Bradford can come back healthy and stay heathy, he doesn't have to set the scoreboard on fire to get this team in the playoffs if the defense improves into the top 10. Remember, if the defense improves, they are going to generate some defensive scores as well that will improve the teams overall scoring.

This season, the Rams O was 69 points less than Seattle's. That's just over 4 pts a game. However, Seattle's defense was 133 pts less than the Rams D. That's over 8 pts a game better.

If the Rams can improve the D and fix the OL, I think they can be right there with the rest of the division.

I know a lot of posters are wanting Watkins, but Seattle just proved you don't need a true #1 WR to win it all. The Rams already have their "Harvin" with Austin ( just saying they are similar players- not saying Austin is a proven pro bowler ). They have a workhorse back in Stacy. They have TE's and decent WR's ( some with potential ).

What the Rams lack is DB/S and consistent pass rush opposite Quinn. Long is okay, but he is not great and his run defense is not good at all. Plus, they won't be able to afford him after this next season, so why not get his replacement now?

I know I will get blasted for this, but I seriously think if they fixed those few things, they can probably make the playoffs next year. You could see 3 NFCW teams in the playoffs.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or any other outdoor stadium.

BOSS429Mustang

Politically Incorrect
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like your reasoning Angelakerams. I also believe we should take either Bridgewater or Clowney, whichever one is available. And in light of Seattle's dominance in the SB, that might just swing the prevailing thinking around the league to the importance of defense as well. Fisher is a defensive minded coach, and after this Super Bowl it does kind of put the exclamation point on defense, so I would not be surprised at all to see the Rams draft Clowney if they can't trade out of the position.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget fellas. We were one stupid play from beating the Seawags in the EJD a month or two ago.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) a great defense still trumps a great offense (4 out of 5 SB's now ). Defense still wins championships.

2) you don't need superstar WR's to be successful. I think everyone can agree that Denver's WR's are better than Seattle's and where did that get them?

3) a teams offense doesn't have to be great when the defense can shut down the opponents offense.

So, where does that leave the Rams?

Well, the Rams D is good, but it's not great like Seattle's. I was originally thinking the Rams should fix the OL first and foremost regardless of what Fisher has done in the past. However, now I am thinking unless the Rams just get a killer offer for the #2 pick, they should take Clowney at #2 and a safety at #13. Then, address the OL in rounds 2-5 ( not all of those picks being OL of course ). Probably draft a QB somewhere in there as well.

I don't see the Rams WR's being that far off from what Seattle has, so I think they can use what they have. Maybe grab one in that 2nd-5th round range with a QB and a couple of OL.

If Bradford can come back healthy and stay heathy, he doesn't have to set the scoreboard on fire to get this team in the playoffs if the defense improves into the top 10. Remember, if the defense improves, they are going to generate some defensive scores as well that will improve the teams overall scoring.

This season, the Rams O was 69 points less than Seattle's. That's just over 4 pts a game. However, Seattle's defense was 133 pts less than the Rams D. That's over 8 pts a game better.

If the Rams can improve the D and fix the OL, I think they can be right there with the rest of the division.

I know a lot of posters are wanting Watkins, but Seattle just proved you don't need a true #1 WR to win it all. The Rams already have their "Harvin" with Austin ( just saying they are similar players- not saying Austin is a proven pro bowler ). They have a workhorse back in Stacy. They have TE's and decent WR's ( some with potential ).

What the Rams lack is DB/S and consistent pass rush opposite Quinn. Long is okay, but he is not great and his run defense is not good at all. Plus, they won't be able to afford him after this next season, so why not get his replacement now?

I know I will get blasted for this, but I seriously think if they fixed those few things, they can probably make the playoffs next year. You could see 3 NFCW teams in the playoffs.

You forgot to mention even with a hall of fame QB Most consider the best QB ever Denver couldn't overcome the D. :agree:
let's refresh the draft now.. Mack, Dennard, Pryor our D would be every bit as good as the Seahawks. Fix the Oline in the second and the middle rds

Last edited by a moderator:

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You forgot to mention even with a hall of fame QB Most consider the best QB ever Denver couldn't overcome the D. :agree:
let's refresh the draft now.. Mack, Dennard, Pryor our D would be every bit as good as the Seahawks. Fix the Oline in the second and the middle rds

You are obviously expecting a trade down in that scenario (Cleveland I assume?)

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You also forgot 'get healthy at the right time'

There was a big difference between their team in the middle of the season and the end of the season

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are obviously expecting a trade down in that scenario (Cleveland I assume?)

Yes with Cleveland and then hopefully wit ATL or Tampa wanting Clowney. So we would have pick 6,13,26 in the first rd.

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yah... I dont think that Fisher will try to build a finesse, air it out type team. He will try to build a power defense and an offense with a power run game. This is our best shot at contending in the division. IN order to do that, we need help in the defensive secondary and interior o-line first and foremost. I can see us trying to trade down,but if not, CLowney will be a Ram. I think they will try to get a safety in free agency(Jarious Byrd) and hopefully resign Saffold. It would be nice to draft Oklahoma State's Justin Gilbert at pick 13. Then take the best guard in the 2nd rd. I can see us going defense now that G. Williams is our d. coordinator.

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes with Cleveland and then hopefully wit ATL or Tampa wanting Clowney. So we would have pick 6,13,26 in the first rd.

Boy, I sure hope you are right, but I wouldnt bank on it. We're not that lucky!

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boy, I sure hope you are right, but I wouldnt bank on it. We're not that lucky!

It's wishful thinking. So many things we don't know yet though. We assume they will cut Finnigan to save cap space plus he didn't do anything last year but he is Fishers guy. Maybe he restructures his contract and they keep him? If so we probably don't go CB in the first rd. Then there's Saffold. Most people think we will resign him but I think it's a very slim chance that happens. Of course this decision will affect the draft too. And of course we have FA period. Fisher likes veteran linemen maybe he gets a guard or tackle there? Lots of questions still.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or any other outdoor stadium.

Weather had no impact on the game. Temp was 49 degrees at kickoff, perfect football weather.

So, you want only dome Super Bowls? That's extremely limiting in terms of venues.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weather had no impact on the game. Temp was 49 degrees at kickoff, perfect football weather.

So, you want only dome Super Bowls? That's extremely limiting in terms of venues.

It didn't really play a factor in this game, but it did in the one in '06 (Indy and Chi).

I just hate for 2 teams to fight their way to get to the SB and then have weather play a factor in who wins or loses. I want to see each team at their best, that's all.

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I learned never to pick a winner, your always going to be wrong.

AHFox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Bradford isn't Russell Wilson. Wilson athletic ability along with him being able to throw on the run accurately affords Seattle the ability to not have a great o-line. I still say trade back.

GoldenTate

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget fellas. We were one stupid play from beating the Seawags in the EJD a month or two ago.
That Golden Tate taunting on the TD is still my favorite play of the year. But hey, at least you have a moral victory knowing you outgained us by over 200 yards and still lost.