• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What was Bill thinking?

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I haven't seen mentioned much was Belichek's non use of his timeouts at the end with just under a minute to go. Why would he not use them to conserve time? I'm trying to wrap my head around it. Thoughts?

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a thread about this last night after the game. I too was surprised that BB didn't take a timeout with just over a minute to go. Someone suggested in that thread last night that perhaps BB was trying to make Seattle throw the ball instead of run it by letting the clock run. That makes some sense to me.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either to keep pressure on SEA, which seemed to work. Or to conserve his TO's for getting back into field goal range after Lynch scored the go ahead rushing touchdown we all thought was coming.

Those are my guesses.

I was yelling"Why are you not calling TimeOut!?!" Then I laughed for awhile. Even when Bill had that little phase of not punting a few years back, I knew better than to question The Hoody.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Seattle had just run it in it would've been about 22-24 seconds after kickoff. Bill would have to go over the middle twice on some deeper passes which would require 2 timeouts. Challenging Sherman/Maxwell on the outside with decent receivers is not going to win the game. You'd need Gronk or some slot action which again will burn TOs.

With Avril out Brady was getting all day to throw so the chance he could've hooked up a couple 20 yard passes and attempted a long field goal is more then possible.

I also think Bill called Carroll's bluff a bit. Carroll looked like he was waiting for a timeout from Bill and it never came. This might have baited Carroll into passing against a very good secondary. Wilson is a bit shorter so maybe hope for a batted ball or just a pick which is what happened. Seattle's receivers/TEs are not good so the pass is obviously the best option. And Browner jamming Kearse + pick is exactly what happened.

Regardless of the situation (1 yard line) you still want to try and bait your opponent into playing into the most advantageous position. That was a pass.

So maybe it was Carroll's stupid call and Bill had nothing to do with it. But he might have.

Last edited by a moderator:

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I haven't seen mentioned much was Belichek's non use of his timeouts at the end with just under a minute to go. Why would he not use them to conserve time? I'm trying to wrap my head around it. Thoughts?

Darth Belichick with the Dark Jedi mind trick. As someone else explained it on the Internet:

MY_NAME_IS_IN_CAPS said:
Pete Carroll was banking on belichick calling the time out, because the Seahawks didn't have the right personnel on the field for a power run. Belichick recognized that and let the clock run down gambling on a stop.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think he was in shock after that crazy catch, flashback to Tyre.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Usually when takes a time-out in a sitaution like that it works against him. At least that's my viewpoint but I am sure that's not why he didn't.

Perhaps he might have been thinking that Seattle would score very quickly ahere wold be time left on the clock. Fortunately it didn't come back to bite them!

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a thread about this last night after the game. I too was surprised that BB didn't take a timeout with just over a minute to go. Someone suggested in that thread last night that perhaps BB was trying to make Seattle throw the ball instead of run it by letting the clock run. That makes some sense to me.

I was thinking that could be a possibility too. If only because there is no other reason I could think of to not use them. It's Football 101

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking Bill knew for sure that Seattle would score and was saving the timeouts for his own drive.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
belichek often does this. I think he even did it earlier this or last year. He doesn't use his time outs. It's like his thing. It's weird b