• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What players remain 4 U in rounds 4 thru 7

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can't trade either of the remaining 4th round picks. They're both compensatory in nature...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Old Lion said:
I think based on the position values the order would have to be:

WR & QB at 133 and 136, too close together to make a difference
DE @ 146
K @ 189

My preference might be to trade up to get the WR we want with next years 5th and take a QB at 136

tpaulus_2 said:
We can't trade either of the remaining 4th round picks. They're both compensatory in nature...

it must be 2 early 4 U tpaul... if U look above he would trade next years 5th

Actually, you may very well need next years 4th plus this yrs 5th to get just about where we were at originally... our next yrs 5th is only worth 16 points which is exactly the value of our #189 pick. If you couple that with our (seattle's) now 5th rd #146, that would get you to #123...

our next yrs. 4th rd is valued at 36 pts coupled with that (seattle) 5th #146 puts you at #114

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some speak of getting a QB. WOuld be nice to maybe get that furture draft pick fascination guy. Stafford is not being replaced (sorry Smitty) Orlovsky or a rookie will not help us if Staff goes down. I would rather get depth in 4th today. DE DT OL (possible Sims replacement G) or WR.

We can not expect them to find UDFA guys like last year. That is not the norm for teams. This a deep draft. Still some talent out there. Don't want a guy who will never see the field.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DE-edge rusher and DT seems more of a need right now than OG, QB or WR IMO. Fairley may very well be gone next year. That leaves CJ Mosley, maybe Fluellen and Vaughn Martin (highly doubt those last 2). We know/expect Suh will extend. Jason Jones coming off a patellar tendon tear is not an easy rehab, even with nearly 10 months since he last played, when figuring out start of training camp going back to 3rd week injury. IDK

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jones might really surprise in this defense if he gets healthy in time. He's the kind of combo DE/DT that Austin can move around and allow us to move from a 4-3 to a 3-4 with the same personnel on the field.

Ansah and Taylor at DE and Suh and Jones at DT. Ansah kicks back to OLB, Taylor and Jones at DE, Suh in the middle. If Ansah could rush from a 2 point stance and Taylor can rush from the other end with Suh disrupting the middle and Jones two-gapping on Ansah's side we'd have a versatile package. Players like Van Noy and Fairley who can play multiple roles also give us these kind of options to give multiple looks with the same personnel package.

Hopefully Jones gets healthy and forms a nice platoon with Taylor at LDE...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tpaulus_2 said:
Jones might really surprise in this defense if he gets healthy in time. He's the kind of combo DE/DT that Austin can move around and allow us to move from a 4-3 to a 3-4 with the same personnel on the field.

Ansah and Taylor at DE and Suh and Jones at DT. Ansah kicks back to OLB, Taylor and Jones at DE, Suh in the middle. If Ansah could rush from a 2 point stance and Taylor can rush from the other end with Suh disrupting the middle and Jones two-gapping on Ansah's side we'd have a versatile package. Players like Van Noy and Fairley who can play multiple roles also give us these kind of options to give multiple looks with the same personnel package.

Hopefully Jones gets healthy and forms a nice platoon with Taylor at LDE...

he played a SAM quite a bit at BYU from a 2-pt. VanNoy was moved Jack LB. BYU HC Mendenhall used multiple variations on his front Line. that's why I surprised to hear Caldwell state "we do not have an edge-rushing flame thrower". With Ansah's speed ? IDK, I was caught off guard by his comment

Maybe, they want Ansah at RDE and Suh LDE, for their power and speed combo, in a 3-4 alignment and add another speed rusher. Webster was brought in 4 a visit, private workout and with his combo #'s ever so close to Clowney's, is the reason I'm stuck on him. Lightning fast, but can he play immediately at the pro-level and NOT get washed out by Big, strong O-Linemen ?

Last edited by a moderator:

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no way we get Desir or McGill but those are the guys I like the most. I would definitely consider Norwood but I'm sure he we be gone too. I think we are looking at Webster and Freese this round.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we dare trade next years 4th rd and couple that with this years 5th rd (from Seattle in that 2nd rd trade-up) #146 to move up to say #114-#117 slots ? Here's the previous 4th rd picks for us. Not much luck in there as two were used in trades, Fox injured all the time, Sammie Lee Hill left for the Titans, Ronnell Lewis (I thinks his off-field actions explains everything)

2013 traded away in 2012 to Min for Tahir Whitehead (Devin taylor was our 4th rd comp last year)
2012 Ronnell Lewis
2011 traded away to move up for LeShoure
2010 Jason Fox
2009 Sammie Lee Hill

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Freese isn't worthy of a 4th rd pick. I honestly do not see a PK being drafted before 6th rd this year, if at all. JMO. Most PK's are 6th - 7th rd or UDFA, unless they really stand out.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McShay's best available

We've seen 100 players drafted through the first two days of the draft, but there are still some very good prospects left on the board. We've ranked the top remaining prospects after Rounds 1-3 and included their short scouting write-ups that ran in our pre-draft Top 300 rankings.

1. Bruce Ellington, WR, South Carolina (Grade: 79; Overall rank: 58): He's a competitive receiver with a very good ability to separate and natural hands. He has the speed to be a vertical threat but lacks the size to consistently win battles for 50-50 balls.

2. AJ McCarron, QB, Alabama (Grade: 78; Overall rank: 60): Very good experience in a pro-style system and touch on short-to-intermediate throws. Has some bad habits with footwork, and deep throws can hang in the air.

3. Martavis Bryant, WR, Clemson (Grade: 76; Overall rank: 66): He has huge potential as a vertical route runner because of his length and top-end speed. Bryant dropped way too many passes in college.

4. Brent Urban, DT, Virginia (Grade: 76; Overall rank: 67): He's capable of playing defensive tackle or 5-technique defensive end. Has good size, but carries some durability concerns.

5. Tom Savage, QB, Pittsburgh (Grade: 75; Overall rank: 68): A strong-armed pocket-passer with polished mechanics who is an effortless thrower of the football. Good touch on intermediate routes, although deep-ball accuracy is a concern.

6. Bashaud Breeland, CB, Clemson (Grade: 75; Overall rank: 70): He is a flexible and fluid athlete for a taller corner with above-average range, although his top-end speed is below average. An aggressive tackler in run support.

7. Keith McGill, CB, Utah (Grade: 73; Overall rank: 72): He's a potential target for teams looking for big corners, as he measures 6-3, 211. He has above-average range and is best-suited for press-man or zone coverage.

8. Pierre Desir, CB, Lindenwood (Grade: 72; Overall rank: 75): He has above-average length and range with a good combination of athleticism, size and leaping ability. Has some tightness, which can be exposed at times in man coverage. Very good ball skills.

9. Devonta Freeman, RB, Florida State (Grade: 71; Overall rank: 77): An elite competitor who runs like his hair is on fire, Freeman is quicker than he is fast and lacks the size to consistently push the pile.

10. Daquan Jones, DT, Penn State (Grade: 71; Overall rank: 78): A massive tackle prospect who is solid against the run but limited as a pass-rusher.

11. Caraun Reid, DT, Princeton (Grade: 70; Overall rank: 84): He is a one-gap defender who is adequate against the run and shows good upside as a pass-rusher.

12. Jaylen Watkins, CB, Florida (Grade: 70; Overall rank: 85): He possesses good versatility and football instincts, and is physical in run support. Has adequate man-to-man coverage skills.

13. Ed Stinson, DE, Alabama (Grade: 69; Overall rank: 87): A below-average pass-rusher who will likely have to come off the field on obvious passing downs in the NFL, Stinson has the strength and mass to anchor and set the edge as a run defender.

14. Aaron Colvin, CB, Oklahoma (Grade: 69; Overall rank: 88): Colvin is a fluid and flexible athlete with good football instincts, but could afford to add some more bulk to his frame. He suffered a torn ACL at Senior Bowl practices.

15. Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers (Grade: 69; Overall rank: 89): He's a big target at 6-6, 225, and has good top-end for his size. Coleman's ball skills are inconsistent and he didn't show great separation skills in college.

16. Russell Bodine, C, North Carolina (Grade: 69; Overall rank: 90): He has prototypical size for the center position, with adequate power and good quickness. He shows good toughness and nastiness on the field.

17. Andre Williams, RB, Boston College (Grade: 69; Overall: 93): He runs with good power and balance, with adequate agility and deceptive top-end speed. Limited production and versatility as a receiver and pass protector.

18. Telvin Smith, OLB, Florida State (Grade: 68; Overall: 94): His narrow frame and lack of bulk is a concern, but he has great sideline-to-sideline range as a run defender when covered up, and has the quickness and fluidity to match up with most backs in man coverage.

19. Dontae Johnson, CB, NC State (Grade: 68; Overall: 97): He has a rare blend of size and speed for a corner, with good bulk and size potential for safety. He has good upside as a ball hawk, but didn't show much production in that area in college.

20. Brock Vereen, S, Minnesota (Grade: 67; Overall: 100): He is undersized for the safety position but remained durable throughout college, and has good versatility and range in coverage and good closing burst and tackling ability in run support.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would try to move up.

Im glad we got Van Noy but I kind of wish that we could've held on to that 4th. If i could get Desir, I would turn right back aroundand draft McGill if he was still there. Thats assuming Norwood or Yankey are gone.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kiper's Top 10 Remaining

Top 10 remaining

1. WR Bruce Ellington*, South Carolina

The burner from South Carolina has fallen in this draft but would fit well in the slot for many teams.

2. CB Pierre Desir, Lindenwood

The small-school standout corner has good size (6-foot-1, 198 pounds) and ball skills. He had 25 interceptions in his college career.

3. G David Yankey*, Stanford

Not a dominant guard, Yankey can play in a phone booth. Fit matters for him.

4. DT DaQuan Jones, Penn State

Jones has a wide body (6-3, 318) and can hold up at the point of attack. He also does a good job flowing to the ball.

Hidden a bit behind Sammy Watkins at Clemson, Bryant is a good receiver in his own right. He could be a late-round steal.

<H3>5. WR Martavis Bryant*, Clemson

Hidden a bit behind Sammy Watkins at Clemson, Bryant is a good receiver in his own right. He could be a late-round steal.
</H3> 6. QB Tom Savage, Pittsburgh

He has the upside of a starter and can really spin it. He played behind a porous offensive line last season at Pitt.

7. QB AJ McCarron, Alabama

There are a lot of split opinions on McCarron. He is accurate on underneath routes and the deep ball despite not having a strong arm.

8. DT Brent Urban, Virginia

Urban has great length at 6-5. He has the ability to jolt defenders and both penetrate and disrupt passing lanes with 34-inch arms.

9. RB De'Anthony Thomas*, Oregon

Electrifying with the ball in his hands, Thomas will be an offensive weapon for the team that drafts him.

10. QB Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech

He has the size and speed of an elite tight end prospect but has accuracy issues as a QB. Still, he's worth a flyer at this point in the draft.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lionstop1 said:
I would try to move up.

Im glad we got Van Noy but I kind of wish that we could've held on to that 4th. If i could get Desir, I would turn right back aroundand draft McGill if he was still there. Thats assuming Norwood or Yankey are gone.

:agree: but, like you stated Thursday night, you like teams to that take chances. They didn't want to lose him. Now, we kinda need that early 4th round.

I did a run-down of 4th rd picks 2009 thru 2013, on previous page. we might as well trade 2015's 4th rd. It hasn't helped before but at this point with a deep draft, I think this is the year to do it.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do we not draft a guy with the last name "Savage"? It would be foolish not to.

VulturesRule

Nothing To See Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
20. Brock Vereen, S, Minnesota (Grade: 67; Overall: 100): He is undersized for the safety position but remained durable throughout college, and has good versatility and range in coverage and good closing burst and tackling ability in run support.

His brother is the RB for the Patriots. Good football skills and the right attitude to give him a try as a DB.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are entering the 4th rd, this is not the place to draft another CB. You are looking at developmental talent only and we already have that.
I disagree. Every position we draft in these rounds will be developmental, no reason to pass on a CB the team feels will help the team either now, or in the future. Just b/c Mayhew may be on the hot seat, doesn't mean he can't continue to look towards the future. If the team does well and exceeds expectations, he will keep his job(to your dismay I'm sure) and he will then continue to have these developmental players. Austin, Lombardi, and Caldwell all still have their jobs after this season. They can still coach these players going forward.

And it seems the Lions agreed with me that CB isn't off the board after the 3rd round. ;)