• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What is WRONG with SF

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Roman has enough sense to realize we have to pass more because defenses are selling out to stop the run.

This was even more of a factor yesterday because the weather dictated that we would lean more on the run so if I'm Capers I would be putting my chips on the table to stop the run as well.

The issue is Roman has the right thought but he seems to struggle at times to call the right plays at the right time. He either gets a little too pass happy (ala our 1st two trips to the red zone yesterday) or he gets too run happy.

We need to do a better job on offense keeping defense guessing and off balance and that's one area we don't seem to be as good as we were in 2011 and 2012 in.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niners ran and passed the same amount in the wild card: 30 runs and 30 passes

San Francisco 49ers Stats at NFL.com

A ratio that I want to see is the pass-run plays inside the redzone by the 49ers on the FG drives.

I'm not saying they weren't balanced. I honestly wished they rushed the ball more than they passed. They are 3rd in rushing nad 30th in passing (at least going into the game). I figured running the ball would be better in below zero temperature.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
As far as Kap he has improved on his reads but he still needs to continue to do so. As long as he shows continued improvement I'm happy with him.

One thing to note is I don't squarely put the blame on that on his shoulders because I do believe part of it falls on offensive play design.

Certain passes are basically designed to be one read with everyone else running routes to open that primary read.

Also I feel often times our pass plays take too long to develop so Kap is waiting around for the routes to develop which doesn't allow him enough time to scan the field and go through a couple of reads.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
:agree:Kap is a 'one look wonder' but he is getting better at his reads. What concerns me here is a simple fact that no recent QB (not sure about the past) has won a SB with his ability to run with the ball. I do agree that play calling might be an issue with his reads. His running might be designed...if you see nothing ,run!

In the past a running QB was like a Vince Young who relied heavily on his athleticism and not enough on his head to be successful. It works well enough in the regular season when you're facing some scrubs along the way but when you get to the playoffs and start seeing elite defenses they eat you alive.

The new breed of QB coming are more like Steve Young's but a lot faster and more athletic.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the past a running QB was like a Vince Young who relied heavily on his athleticism and not enough on his head to be successful. It works well enough in the regular season when you're facing some scrubs along the way but when you get to the playoffs and start seeing elite defenses they eat you alive.

The new breed of QB coming are more like Steve Young's but a lot faster and more athletic.
..and one of these 'new breed' have won a SB on recent past?

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not so sure about that. Steve Young was plenty fast.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me wrong... I love my 49ers and I believe we can go all the way to the SB again. But there are some glaring problems with this team that even the most casual observer can point out. So instead of yet another thread where we're all just sucking each others' dicks over what makes them a great team, I'm going to make a thread about what makes the 49ers vulnerable. Feel free to chime in:

Clock management - There's already a thread going a mile long about this. Every defense can count on the play clock running down to zero before the ball is snapped and it's very predictable... that is WHEN the ball is snapped and JH doesn't have to burn timeouts. How is this still happening?

CK's narrow field of vision - Opposing defenders as well as anyone watching the game can see Kap's cold, hard stare at which receiver he is about to throw to. If he doesn't change his tactic we are doomed.

Redzone offense - Once we get inside the 10 yard line it's pretty much a guarantee we are kicking a FG.

Redzone defense - Once our opponents get inside the 10 it's pretty much a guaranteed TD.

The 3rd quarter (and 4th too) - We are putting up zeroes in the score column in the 3rd quarter. We're slowly becoming the Falcons of 2013.
We won bc of Kaep and his legs, we do need to improve on our red zone offense tho

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
..and one of these 'new breed' have won a SB on recent past?

Perhaps we need to more clearly define "new breed" before we can have a meaningful discussion, but let me point out that Aaron Rodgers runs pretty well. He's not as fast as Kaepernick, but you saw yesterday that he's got good running ability.

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would respectfully disagree with this. He is lucky to only have been picked off once. The Green Bay defense was reading him like a book when he was throwing the ball. Next week we may not be so lucky. He has tunnel vision when he throws. Not good!

I agree with the special teams. LJ thinks too long when returning kicks. I watched him hesitate a couple of times when fielding the ball. And he needs to know when to take a knee in the endzone.

Out of 30 throws I can only remember 3 or 4 throws that Green Bay read perfectly

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps we need to more clearly define "new breed" before we can have a meaningful discussion, but let me point out that Aaron Rodgers runs pretty well. He's not as fast as Kaepernick, but you saw yesterday that he's got good running ability.
Runs with the ball...check. Name a recent QB that has been on a SB team that has won by running with the ball. Not saying that Kap can't do it ,just that it is not a game plan for winning any game ,let alone a playoff game.

PaythePiper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People forget that Kap only has 28 starts in his career. He has what, 3 playoff WINS already and a Super Bowl appearance. Look at what the Bengals are dealing with in Dalton, and the Falcons were dealing with in Ryan before he finally won a playoff game. He will get better with time. I'm just thankful Smith is gone....dude can never win when playing from behind. Tied 20-20, Kap put the team on his back and won a road playoff game in Antarctica. Go Niners!

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I will add short yardage running. For a power running team, we often cannot get a yard on third or 4th and 1.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not so sure about that. Steve Young was plenty fast.

Agreed. Steve Young was fast. Certainly faster than Rice, Craig, Rathman and Jones who were his main weapons. Perhaps JT was faster but that's about it for the stalwarts.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Steve Young was fast. Certainly faster than Rice, Craig, Rathman and Jones who were his main weapons. Perhaps JT was faster but that's about it for the stalwarts.

JT=John Taylor? John Taylor wasn't particularly fast. At least not by his 40 time. The man could get YAC like few could, though.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Runs with the ball...check. Name a recent QB that has been on a SB team that has won by running with the ball. Not saying that Kap can't do it ,just that it is not a game plan for winning any game ,let alone a playoff game.

CK does run with the ball and usually does pretty well when he takes off, but I don't think we have him doing too many designed QB runs. We pick our spots and do a designed QB run just to give the defense something to think about. If I am not mistaken, most of his runs yesterday came off the scramble. He's a quarterback who can run, but I don't think that makes him any different than a lot of other quarterbacks past and present.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JT=John Taylor? John Taylor wasn't particularly fast. At least not by his 40 time. The man could get YAC like few could, though.

He sure looked fast on punt returns. Remember the two long touchdown catches of 90 plus against the Rams that night?

Last edited by a moderator:

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He sure looked fast on punt returns. Remember the two long touchdown returns against the Rams that night?

IIRC, they were both short passes from Montana that Taylor took 90+ yards for a touchdown.