• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What is the point of a combine?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't get it. Guys running around with no pads and no game competition. What is anyone learning that is different then the game tapes? Seems like a waste of time and money. I would not put much stock in what I see in a non contact practice, at least not compared to actual game tape. I guess my question is what new info is learned? And why would it change anyone mind over what they see in the game tapes?

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why you aren't in football management. I don't watch the combine and don't care if they have it or not. Obviously though it is worth something to the many people that show up. My advise is don't watch it

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh so that's why I'm not in football management. Hey Leo if you have no answer then don't answer. I was not asking for advice, I was asking for a intelligent answer to a football question. So either way you can't help me.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
combine as combination of skills. What you cannot learn by watching film is the part when you interview the players to see how they understand what they did or why they did it. You dont have the opportunity to understand their football intelligence just by watching the tape.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't get it. Guys running around with no pads and no game competition. What is anyone learning that is different then the game tapes? Seems like a waste of time and money. I would not put much stock in what I see in a non contact practice, at least not compared to actual game tape. I guess my question is what new info is learned? And why would it change anyone mind over what they see in the game tapes?

Because game tapes will distort player's abilities based on the team's ability, scheme, and circumstances.

Consider a decent quarterback who looks terrible in games, but it's because his offensive coordinator is a moron who is trying to force a square peg into a round hole, trying to put the quarterback in a system completely unsuited for him.

Consider a bad quarterback who looks great in games, but it's only because he has an NFL-caliber O-line.

Is player A really a faster tailback than player B, or did he just play on a team with a scheme or line good at opening running lanes?

How are you supposed to know from game tape whether cornerback A or cornerback B can jump higher if they are close in range, and given that each jump ball is different (different ball trajectory, different receiver and cornerback positioning, different part of the field, etc.)? A difference of one inch or even half an inch can matter for catching a ball, but how are you supposed to tell such a small difference from bad camera angles far above a field?

Consider a safety who's really good but has little playing time and thus little game tape because he's in the coach's doghouse for some reason.

The combine measures all the statistics --- raw line speed, cornering times, jumping height and distances, etc. --- that you wouldn't otherwise get from game tape.

Furthermore, vital statistics that colleges provide on players --- height, weight, wingspan, hand size, etc. --- are often fudged or even blatantly false in order to make the player look better than he really is. There are players who turn out to be 3 inches shorter in the combine then they were claimed to be before the combine. At the combine, all those measurements are taken again to make sure they're actually accurate.

Last edited:
C

cubzzzfanincali

You mean the Combine isn't just a publicity event primarily for entertainment purposes? I learn something new every day.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bus and another thanks for a real answer. I had not thought of those reasons.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh so that's why I'm not in football management. Hey Leo if you have no answer then don't answer. I was not asking for advice, I was asking for a intelligent answer to a football question. So either way you can't help me.

sensitive sally eh?

the 100% most logical answer is to be able to evaluate many aspects of a prospect at one time.......both physical, and mental........and to measure intangibles, that can accompany game type

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People misunderstand the point of the combine. It is not there to form the bulk of your scouting report. It is simply a small tool, that is used as one of many, MANY different ways to evaluate a player. I think a lot of what staff's learn there, is a player's work ethic and how he carries himself. On your own pro day, the workouts you do are basically molded to show off the highlights of your skill set. At the combine, your put on an even playing field, along with a lot of other players. Then, you go and compete with the workout that has been set for you.

I realize most of this misconception comes from the media, and the melodrama that they build around it. It's to gain ratings. They want people to believe it is more important than it is.

Sure, in the past, many teams have reached on guys due to the athleticism they displayed at the combine. However, it really isn't ALL that common. There are also instances of players making a name for themselves in the combine, who have had success in the NFL.

It is what it is… I'm sure there's many NFL organizations that feel it's rather irrelevant as well.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another reason for the combine is it gives all 32 teams a centralized, coordinated, and equally evaluated set of drills that a player only needs to perform once - rather than a set of players going to visit all 32 teams and do the same set of drills (as was done prior to 1982).

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no intelligent answer. The combine has grown immensely so somebody wants it.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
certainly not you,

also in response to your, the draft is littered with big combine guys who do nothing in the league....your right there have been some

but for every 1 you name, i can name 10 that had a good combine and were good in the league

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe you should watch some of the coverage. They are doing 40 yard dashes on the NFL network. sub 4.3 speed here. 260 pound defensive ends 3-4 edge rushers with 1.6 10 yard numbers, 4.6 40's. 300 pound guys running 4.8. They ran an animation of a current guy with a guy that is dominant in the league now.

Winston dropping to tenth on some boards, 4.97 40 time.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe you should watch some of the coverage. They are doing 40 yard dashes on the NFL network. sub 4.3 speed here. 260 pound defensive ends 3-4 edge rushers with 1.6 10 yard numbers, 4.6 40's. 300 pound guys running 4.8. They ran an animation of a current guy with a guy that is dominant in the league now.

Winston dropping to tenth on some boards, 4.97 40 time.

Lovie is taking him #1.........Lovie is on his 3rd offensive coordinator already.......he might break his record

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The smart GM's draft according to game tape and not combine performance.