• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What has Howie Done?

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
L. Johnson. $35M Guarantee, $10M SB, No Pro Bowls
V. Curry, $23M G, $10M SB, No Starts
Z. Ertz, $21M G, $8M SB, No Pro Bowls
B. Brooks, $21M G, $11M SB, No Pro Bowls
M. Jenkins, $21M G, $7.5M SB, 1 Pro Bowl (7th alternate)
S. Bradford, $22M G, $11M SB, No Pro Bowls
R. McLeod, $17M G, $8M SB, No Pro Bowls.
C. Daniels, $12M G, $6M SB, 2 career starts in 7 years (who was he bidding against?)
B. Celek, $6M G, $3M SB, No Pro Bowls
L. McKelvin, No Pro Bowls,
N. Bradham, No Pro Bowls

Totals, $178M in Guarantees, $74.5M in Signing Bonus. 1 Pro Bowl.

While I admire Lurie for willing to spend the money, this is a heck of an investment in one off season for 11 players with fairly thin resumes. Making the Pro Bowl is not necessarily a great measure, but its also not a real high standard...Derek Carr made the Pro Bowl. Chris Ivory made the Pro Bowl.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You pay for the future not for the past.

What Howie has done is added a lot of good players.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well so Brandon Brooks was a 3rd round pick and at best was a top 10 guard who got top 5 money. 17th rated FA on PFF.

McLeod was the 19th rated FA who PFF graded as tenth best last year. Originally undrafted. A 180 lb guy who ran a 4.6. The Eagles now have the highest paid Safety tandem in the league. Who builds a secondary around their Safeties?

Chase Daniels got $12M guaranteed. Can't believe there was actually another team bidding for him? He wasn't even in the PFF top 75. Matt Moore made that list.

Bradham and McKelvin were no where on their list.

I love Vinny Curry, but really $23M in guarantees for a guy with zero career starts? Can't believe there was someone willing to pay more.

You have a non football guy who has yet to hire his new football guy, blowing $178M guaranteed on players with no particular resume to speak of. Each and every deal looks like it was above market.

I am sure they are good players, but there is really not many signs of greatness on this list. This is a recipe for 8-8 maybe.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I admire Lurie for willing to spend the money, this is a heck of an investment in one off season for 11 players with fairly thin resumes. Making the Pro Bowl is not necessarily a great measure, but its also not a real high standard...Derek Carr made the Pro Bowl. Chris Ivory made the Pro Bowl.

Personally I think your argument is just stupid. Yes...I have read your posts...and I am not breaking them down point by point because in reality they are all dumb arguments submitted by a moron who does not know shit about football. Go back to the 49ers board.

Reactions: Taz

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You pay for the future not for the past.

What Howie has done is added a lot of good players.

Agreed. You try and add players when they are heading into their prime years ... both Brooks and McLeod are about to head in to theirs. In free agency you are always going to overpay some ... the trick is to overpay the right players at the right time. Safeties today are almost just as important as the Corners because TE's and slot receivers are used so much more today than they have been in the past.

ctc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
L. Johnson. $35M Guarantee, $10M SB, No Pro Bowls
V. Curry, $23M G, $10M SB, No Starts
Z. Ertz, $21M G, $8M SB, No Pro Bowls
B. Brooks, $21M G, $11M SB, No Pro Bowls
M. Jenkins, $21M G, $7.5M SB, 1 Pro Bowl (7th alternate)
S. Bradford, $22M G, $11M SB, No Pro Bowls
R. McLeod, $17M G, $8M SB, No Pro Bowls.
C. Daniels, $12M G, $6M SB, 2 career starts in 7 years (who was he bidding against?)
B. Celek, $6M G, $3M SB, No Pro Bowls
L. McKelvin, No Pro Bowls,
N. Bradham, No Pro Bowls

Totals, $178M in Guarantees, $74.5M in Signing Bonus. 1 Pro Bowl.

This from the guy who thought Mathis was washed up. That tobin and barber were nfl starters. That Kelly knew what he was doing.:pound::pound::pound:
Your observations about who's good and who isn't are less than useless.

I see where the qb that Kelly wanted to keep now wants to get out. That the one good ol they had has left. It just keeps getting better doesn't it.

He's just trolling us.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's just trolling us.

I have no doubt that is the case. But as we already know the Eagle forum is not full of mindless sheep like DPD. If he comes with stupidity he will get called out on it.

Oh....and you forgot he also thinks Tebow is a good NFL QB.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well so Brandon Brooks was a 3rd round pick and at best was a top 10 guard who got top 5 money. 17th rated FA on PFF.

McLeod was the 19th rated FA who PFF graded as tenth best last year. Originally undrafted. A 180 lb guy who ran a 4.6. The Eagles now have the highest paid Safety tandem in the league. Who builds a secondary around their Safeties?

Chase Daniels got $12M guaranteed. Can't believe there was actually another team bidding for him? He wasn't even in the PFF top 75. Matt Moore made that list.

Bradham and McKelvin were no where on their list.

I love Vinny Curry, but really $23M in guarantees for a guy with zero career starts? Can't believe there was someone willing to pay more.

You have a non football guy who has yet to hire his new football guy, blowing $178M guaranteed on players with no particular resume to speak of. Each and every deal looks like it was above market.

I am sure they are good players, but there is really not many signs of greatness on this list. This is a recipe for 8-8 maybe.

Your analysis is one sided and lacks integrity.

Deano

Mental ninja
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there was anything going on in the Niners forum, I'd go over and troll. But there isn't.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy must have been a big fan of the Redskins' free agent signings under early Danny Snyder, since he judges free agents by how many Pro Bowls they have been to in the past, not what they might do in the future.

Mark Carrier had been to TONS of Pro Bowls right?

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol. You guys crack me up. No one is willing to defend Howie logically, but you all seem more than willing to slobber all over him. This is all emotional responses.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there was anything going on in the Niners forum, I'd go over and troll. But there isn't.

Couldn't agree more. The 49ers are doing squat while Howie is active as all hell. $178M is a huge move. Trading away Murray, Maxwell and Alonso are huge moves. For better or for worse, Howie is setting up a good portion of the roster for the next several years....unfortunately it looks like all journeymen players.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy must have been a big fan of the Redskins' free agent signings under early Danny Snyder, since he judges free agents by how many Pro Bowls they have been to in the past, not what they might do in the future.

Mark Carrier had been to TONS of Pro Bowls right?

Bruce Smith too. What a tremendous signing by the Redskins!!

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't agree more. The 49ers are doing squat while Howie is active as all hell. $178M is a huge move. Trading away Murray, Maxwell and Alonso are huge moves. For better or for worse, Howie is setting up a good portion of the roster for the next several years....unfortunately it looks like all journeymen players.

Who's a journeyman? Brooks, McCleod and Brooks are getting their first contracts. Good young players that add toughness to the team in two critical areas where it was needed.

No one is going point for point with you because you have zero credibility. You said the other day that the 13th and 8th picks difference in value is a late 5th. You were wrong. Very wrong. You should have known that you were wrong before you regurgitated it, but you don't have the necessary knowledge to have these conversations. You believed something wrong that you read because you don't know how to seek out the necessary knowledge either.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who's a journeyman? Brooks, McCleod and Brooks are getting their first contracts. Good young players that add toughness to the team in two critical areas where it was needed.

No one is going point for point with you because you have zero credibility. You said the other day that the 13th and 8th picks difference in value is a late 5th. You were wrong. Very wrong. You should have known that you were wrong before you regurgitated it, but you don't have the necessary knowledge to have these conversations. You believed something wrong that you read because you don't know how to seek out the necessary knowledge either.

A journeyman is generally a starting quality player, but not a star or a difference maker. None of the Eagles' signings has proven themselves to be anything beyond a Journeyman. They could develop that way, but the case to get there is tenuous at best.

I give the Eagles credit for going out there, spending the money and improving their roster. But these are hardly groundbreaking moves, and money wise, they are mortgaging the future with $178M to be average or perhaps a little above.

Its strange that the money guy is doing that and its not consistent with the past. I can only speculate that Howie's position in the organization is more tenuous than we may believe and he feels a need to have immediate success. These are all moves designed to be better now, rather than 5 years from now. He is overpaying to fill immediate holes.

djm

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Brandon Brooks 40 mil (age 26)
Rodney McLeod 37 mill (Age 25)
Nigel Bradham (age 26)
Ron Brooks (age 27)
Chase Daniel (age 29)

I am not sure you can consider any of these guys Journeyman. They all seem like young players entering the prime of their career. Daniels is the exception but he is a QB so he is, technically, still in his prime.

When you are a 7-9 team with a new coaching staff you have to over pay a little bit. So far I am happy with what the Eagles have done this off season. We have signed some core players and rewarded an older player like Celek. We have filled some holes through FA and look strong moving into the draft. Only time will tell if we made the right choices but from where I sit right now I am very happy.

What have we really lost.

Kelly - Good football guy but burned his bridges here.
Murray - Who is already talked about seeing Philly as a taking a year off.
Maxwell - Can't cover or tackle. May be decent but not worth over 60 mil.
Alonso - Didn't do much but has an opportunity to start in Miami. He wasn't going to get there here. We probably did him a favor by trading him.

Again, what is there not to like?

Deano

Mental ninja
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I loving all these mid-level signings who are filling out the roster. Responsible spending. Short contracts. Fantastic job Howie!

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that Murray, Maxwell and Alonso were tradeable is somewhat reflective of the fact that Kelly was not horrible as a GM. He got marketable assets and signed them to contracts that were not prohibitive. Maxwell for instance had a high dollar amount, but was low on signing bonus.

From that perspective, ask yourself if the new signees are tradeable with their current deals? Chase Daniel? Lol. McLeod? doubtful.

Howie is wasting money...not to get them to the playoffs, but rather to get them to average.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's pretty funny that you can call Howie's moves wasting money before the fact and not call Chip's moves wasting money after it was already proven. Well not "funny," more like "asinine." You are simply engaging in "emotional computing" here. Although I use the term "computing" lightly as it overstates the analysis you've pretended to do here.