• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What happened to sec defense?

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think it is exactly a knock on the SEC defenses here. It is just that most of the better "Athlete" recruits nowdays are being used on the offensive side of the ball.

The shootouts in the SEC are also attributed to the game changing.

Used to be, defense wins championships. Now it is good enough defenses win championships. Looks like that is the direction things are heading. Because nobody outside of Michigan State and Florida has dominant defenses.

In before Bama fan "we pitched a shutout" Yes, great defensive performance. But shootouts are even happen for the Tide. If there is any more proof that the game is changing look no further than that.

Absolutely! Excellent reply.

The SEC fans are starting to get a taste of how powerful these new offenses are as they play more teams that run them as well as their own conference converting to them. I used to laugh at some to the SEC fans who used to point the finger at the Big 12 as having no defenses. I think they are finally realizing that it's these new offenses.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely! Excellent reply.

The SEC fans are starting to get a taste of how powerful these new offenses are as they play more teams that run them as well as their own conference converting to them. I used to laugh at some to the SEC fans who used to point the finger at the Big 12 as having no defenses. I think they are finally realizing that it's these new offenses.

Glad someone agrees. And of course we will still see games with great team defensive performances like we did Saturday with Bama. But looking at it outside of a snapshot of one game, I think we will see quite a few more shootouts than shutouts.

I mean last season, Oregon shutout Zona a great offense... Then allowed 51 points to USC, although they used deflated footballs.:lol: They still would have scored 35 without cheating though.

WB1214

Hoopla Cash
$ 802.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Experienced quarterbacks throughout the league vs inexperienced defenses across the league. Add that to the fact that we are seeing less pro-style offenses in the league while running more spread/pistol looks and running the hurry up a lot.

I think the first thing is the main issue, along with the league just evolving to more like the rest of the country. Playing in space has become a huge part of these offenses

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Florida can continue getting good QB play this is not the same team that lost to Miami.

With that defense they can win a lot of Football games.

I agree with this ... aside from the experience factor, the new QB seems better than Driscoll. Hell, I am better than Driscoll and I am 54 with bad knees. I fear the Gator team we will see in Jax on Nov 2 will be a much better team.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure all the rule changes that benefit offenses has nothing to do with it.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this ... aside from the experience factor, the new QB seems better than Driscoll. Hell, I am better than Driscoll and I am 54 with bad knees. I fear the Gator team we will see in Jax on Nov 2 will be a much better team.
-
Dont forget that Florida just lost its best player. Florida has good players behind, but his loss will be felt. Next to impossible to replace a player like that

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anomaly! It happens every 100 years. Alabama is still only giving up an average of 14.5 points a game (13th) after giving up 42 to Texas A&M (21 in 4th quarter). Alabama has moved back to #27 in total defense after giving up over 600 yards to A&M. Only a 4 game test model. We shall see. However, I'm thinking Georgia and LSU are not stopping anyone too soon. Will be winning in shootouts!

Seeing as how we are starting something like 4 freshman on D secondary, our numbers are understandable. But, we'll be fine by season's end. These guys are really talented, and imagine where they are today v. 4 games ago. Talk about baptism by fire.

We did hold LSU to 15 yards running in the first half, less than 100 for the game. That bodes well for us getting better stopping the run, which has been our problem in the past.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida's opponents are also a combined 10-8, with 4 of those wins coming from the team UF lost too

Toledo
Passing Yards- 89th
Rushing Yards- 61st
Points For- 90th

Miami
Passing Yards- 42nd
Rushing Yards- 37th
Points For- 10th

Tennessee-
Passing Yards- 112th
Rushing Yards- 35th
Points For- 60th

Kentucky
Passing Yards- 58th
Rushing Yards- 65th
Points For- 97th

Agreed ... any stats after the first 4 weeks are kind of useless. Week 8 after everyone has 4 or 5 IC games we can start to see a little more. In the first 4 weeks the sample size is too small, and skewed with bad data because of bad games.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
Dont forget that Florida just lost its best player. Florida has good players behind, but his loss will be felt. Next to impossible to replace a player like that
No team that claims to reload and not rebuild should ever have depth as an excuse. UF recruits too well to not be able to replace anyone on the team, within reason.

BamaFanAlways

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure all the rule changes that benefit offenses has nothing to do with it.

I quite agree. It used to be that extended arms on an offensive lineman was holding, period. Hands had to be at your chest at all times. There was no such thing as a 'defenseless' receiver... if he thought he might get hit too hard, he protected himself instead of catching the ball. No need to worry about catching across the middle now, the DB is too scared to hit you until you catch the ball and are no longer 'defenseless'.

I do understand the need for safety. I strongly agree with not being able to tackle with the top of your helmet, a clear 'spearing' penalty. I disagree if my facemask brushes yours, then I 'targeted' you. I agree with banning 'horse-collar' and 'clothes-line' tackles... but don't throw a flag just because someone 'might' have hit someone too hard... with instant replay, you can always penalize a player or team afterwards, but you can't 'unring' a bell once you make one of these calls and the defense has to play on eggshells afterwards.

BTSBuckeye

Old-School ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is NOT just can SEC issue this year.

Tons of teams throughout the country lost a lot on defense last year. (3-4 year starters) You also have tons of teams with veteran offenses and QBs.

That is why defense is down nationally this year. Given all the talent that will be leaving on offense after this season, expect a defensive HEAVY season next year.

offshore1509

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It has to do with the fact more and more SEC teams are gearing their teams to score points, putting a little more emphasis on offense. With a couple of teams that are capable of scoring alot of points, coaches realize they need be be able to score points, defense won't always do it, sometimes you may find yourself in a shoot-out and you better have the tools to play with.

bocomo007

Just some guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Experienced quarterbacks throughout the league vs inexperienced defenses across the league. Add that to the fact that we are seeing less pro-style offenses in the league while running more spread/pistol looks and running the hurry up a lot.

I think the first thing is the main issue, along with the league just evolving to more like the rest of the country. Playing in space has become a huge part of these offenses

yep, as we saw in our game at Athens, our young secondary and less-deep-than-usual D line really hurt us

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep, as we saw in our game at Athens, our young secondary and less-deep-than-usual D line really hurt us
-
it will cause a change. At this pt the spread SEC teams are still behind the talent curve, but that may change. It will make it tougher. Pass rushers are mandatory. That is one issue I think Bama has vs A&M. 0 pressure. You need solid DBs. The interesting thing is at LB. Bama loves those big pluggers. Big 12 has gone to fast undersized LBs that are better in space, but vulnerable to power running games. SEC has built defenses to defend pro sets and power rushing games, it will be interesting to see how this evolves if the spread offenses continue to pop up in the SEC