• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What does your stadium do as an event to launch the game?

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too bad UT doesn't have any recent traditions of their own for you to troll on. Having to now do so for the better team in state has to kind of suck.

As far as I know seattle is the only team that has rented some traditions from anybody. But if the houston Texas rent Bevo out i'll let you know. I wasn't trollng, the topic was stadium events and the seahawk fan mentioned the 12th man first.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's weird that you don't even know where you buy your "tradition" from. I'm sure you have no clue, but your post was a complete fail.
Fail or not, you missed the point?

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as I know seattle is the only team that has rented some traditions from anybody. But if the houston Texas rent Bevo out i'll let you know. I wasn't trollng, the topic was stadium events and the seahawk fan mentioned the 12th man first.

Back to topic. I suppose if you ever went to the games in person you might be able to post in this thread without looking like a little bitch.
Ok, troll on bro.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So tell us what tradition was taken or rented exactly. There is NO part of what happens in Seattle that also happens at their games. NONE. The things they do with their fans are entirely different. Not even remotely the same.

You have to be a special kind of stupid to call that renting a tradition. What Seattle does is entirely unique and was created here. The use of the term '12th man' actually started in the mid west. It's a description, not a tradition. It's like the 19th hole restaurant on many golf courses.

It's still amusing a longhorn fan is trolling this up though. Long are the days where they stood tall enough to not have to use stuff from other programs in their state to feel better about themselves.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's compare and see. (I have no dog in this hunt, as they say.)

The Aggies story,
The tradition of the Twelfth Man was born on the second of January 1922, when an underdog Aggie team was playing Centre College, then the nation's top ranked team. As the hard fought game wore on, and the Aggies dug deeply into their limited reserves, Coach Dana X. Bible remembered a squad man who was not in uniform. He had been up in the press box helping reporters identify players. His name was E. King Gill, and was a former football player who was only playing basketball. Gill was called from the stands, suited up, and stood ready throughout the rest of the game, which A&M finally won 22-14. When the game ended, E. King Gill was the only man left standing on the sidelines for the Aggies. Gill later said, "I wish I could say that I went in and ran for the winning touchdown, but I did not. I simply stood by in case my team needed me."

Seattle,

The Seattle Seahawks retired the number 12 jersey on December 15, 1984, in honor of their fans. In 2003, the Seahawks installed a giant flagpole in the south end zone of what is now CenturyLink Field, and began a tradition of raising a giant flag with the number 12 on it in honor of the fans. Usually, a local celebrity or a season ticket holder raises the flag during pregame ceremonies.[40] In recent years, 12th Man flags[41][42][43][44][45] have been seen all over Seattle whenever the Seahawks make the playoffs, including atop the Space Needle. In 2014, Boeing painted a Boeing 747-8 freighter with a special Seahawks livery, with the number 12 on the tail, and they later flew it over eastern Washington in a flight path spelling the number 12.[46][47] When the Seahawks took the field for Super Bowl XLVIII, they were led by LB Heath Farwell carrying the team's 12th Man flag[48][49] per team tradition

I'm for neither team and it looks to me like the Seahawks borrowed/stole, whatever you want to call it. But Seattle is in fact using something that was already started by another team, in this case a College team.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first recorded use of the term "twelfth man" was a magazine published by the University of Minnesota in September, 1900, that referred to "the mysterious influence of the twelfth man on the team, the rooter."[1] Later, in the November 1912 edition of The Iowa Alumnus, an alumni publication of the University of Iowa (then known as State University of Iowa), E.A. McGowan described the 1903 game between Iowa and the University of Illinois. In his article, titled "The Twelfth Player" McGowan wrote: "The eleven men had done their best; but the twelfth man on the team (the loyal spirited Iowa rooter) had won the game for old S.U.I."[2]

So if you want to say that about Seattle, you MUST say the same thing about the aggies. PERIOD.

It's a term. In fact, one that is used in many sports all over the world.

The 12th man is also used in soccer to describe their fans. In Australia they are called the 19th man as their 'footy' has 18 players on each side.

If you want to talk about taking a tradition, it just can't be only a name. Where is the flag pole and the rest of Seattle's tradition ANYWHERE else. If you've ever seen an aggie game it looks absolutely nothing like a Seahawks game. There is zero in common.

/case

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wizard, you are wasting your time with these tools......

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it weird that ya'll have to rent a tradition from Texas a&m?

Thinking that Seattle "stole" the tradition from A&M when in FACT the saying didn't originate there first.
You are making yourself look stupid again longhorn fan.:suds:

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uhsplit starts an actual thread asking a question that could have generated an interesting discussion of shared information from other cities...and these tools come in and ruin the thread

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uhsplit starts an actual thread asking a question that could have generated an interesting discussion of shared information from other cities...and these tools come in and ruin the thread

I was sincere.

In the 80's we had a live Lion on the sidelines. But they didn't cage it properly. Died during a Monster Truck rally at The SilverDome in '87.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. We have the "Big Red Siren" that is sounded by a celeb or season ticket holder.
2. One of the starting lineups is announced
3. We show a "protect the nest cartoon" which shows the visiting mascot trying to take over a birds nest and the cardinal mascot has none of it. They brawl….. You get the picture.
4. Kickoff

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wizard, you are wasting your time with these tools......

I never respond with any intent to change their minds, only to correct stupid/bad/wrong info for those reading it.

I'm still laughing at a UT fan nutswinging on A&M. Some crazy ass shit there.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never respond with any intent to change their minds, only to correct stupid/bad/wrong info for those reading it.

I'm still laughing at a UT fan nutswinging on A&M. Some crazy ass shit there.

The whole exchange about the 12 man is friggin stupid. When you are on top, some opposing fans will take whatever means possible to try and tear you down. Most of the time they are the ones who look stupid in the long run.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saying you own the 12th Man is like saying you own the 6th Man in basketball. There's a league wide award for the 6th man. It's symbolic and obviously has a meaning in sports that no-one team invented. Believing that is just stupid.

Even if A&M did have some sole claim to those words, we obviously do it better up here.

Now, to the topic, I'm also interested in hearing what other teams do pregame. I get to probably 3 or 4 games a year and never miss the team running onto the field or the 12th Man flag raising. It's really a cool experience and sets the mood for football.

My only wish is that we would get a new song to run onto the field to. We've had Bittersweet Symphony for years, dating back to at least the Holmgren era and I liked it then, but I think this team needs something with a little more attitude. The way we hit and the persona we take on defensively, along with the Beast's punishment deserves more than Bittersweet Symphony.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I'll settle it.
The first 12th man in football was the first time the call of "too many men on the field" was called.