• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What Does Our Cap Space Look Like This Off Season?

Andresrenee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Not sure Lovie makes it beyond next year in Tampa. We shall see. The D has been ok this year. Let's not get carried away. He has done a great job with the D-line and getting these guys to play hard. I want him back, but not the end of the world if he bolts other than our team needing to learn another scheme.

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get rid of Carr

After June 1... we may all get our wish. Cap hit drops to less than $5M from over $12M before June 1. I wouldn't be surprised if the front office "suggested" a redone deal that would make it more palatable for the team... or bid adios.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guessing on next years cap space is just that, a guess. We don't even know what the cap will be and to assume it will be $150M makes these scenarios easy and fun, but it's quite an assumption. We have a lot of Free agents. Yes, how we handle Dez and Murray will go along way towards deciding what else we do, but look at the list of our FAs. They do all add up as you fill out the roster.

To say it isn't a problem and never has been is way off base. Yeah, we'll get under and and get some wiggle room, but the restructures that get done and make some think the cap wasn't a problem ARE THE PROBLEM in subsequent years. If we didn't have to restructure Romo he would be costing us a billion dollars next year. If we never had to restructure Carr because of cap problems, he wouldn't be costing us over $12M to cut next year. So do we keep him at $12M, cut him at $12M, or cut him and split it out over two years so we are still paying for him a year after he is gone. Rinse and repeat, because next year it will be someone else and maybe that's why we have no real pass rushers right now. And don't expect to solve your problems thru the draft. Yes, that is the best way to do it for a million reasons, but there is no guarantee those draft picks will produce and especially in year one.

Unfortunately, we cannot make Marinelli stay. He doesn't need a promotion to go. He can sign a contract to be a water boy in Tampa next year if he'd prefer if his contract is up this year.

What's up bro? Just a few things, first in the middle paragraph I did my cap projections off of 140M cap number and the basis that Melton and Free's options wouldn't be picked up, which I believe most would agree they won't be at their price. Two I'd be shocked if Tyron's contract wasn't restructured do to the way it was built.

Me saying the cap will be 145-150M is my projection, but my numbers for cap space were never built on that. The cap was never a problem nor will be a problem is the truth, has Jerry not been able to keep those whom he wanted to keep? Have we had to let go of players we shouldn't have had to let go of? I'd say Ware might be the only one; however I'd also say it was the right move to cut him as painful as it was he even healthy this year isn't the same player as he once was, and not worth 10M a season to me. That's 1M per a sack if you look at his season this year.

I'd say that Dallas will not only not be in cap hell next year, but have enough space to do what they want, and add a couple of starting pieces on D.

Of your own FA's Dez, Murray, Durrant, McClain are the only ones that will cost you big time. I'd say find a way to keep Free although you have to be careful big men with feet problems isn't a good thing. In all honesty though, Dez deal won't really be huge hit on cap for probably at least two seasons if not three which by then Romo will be a memory and his cap number will hold no value to what we have, hence the reason why they are trying to sign Dez to a 10yr deal. McClain won't command to much as he is just one year removed from being crazy, and Durrant won't cost crazy money either as he is coming off of injury.

It'll be fun, but just know that I'm very confident in us having enough space to do as we please, and look forward to seeing that happen.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After June 1... we may all get our wish. Cap hit drops to less than $5M from over $12M before June 1. I wouldn't be surprised if the front office "suggested" a redone deal that would make it more palatable for the team... or bid adios.

:clap:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think you are correct. I think we are in great shape to say take a cut or be cut. Here is the key though waiting until June 1, by then most money is spent, so you can go to Carr and say take a 5M cut on base for the next two years which would give him a base still in the top 25 of all CBs in the NFL which is still high and more than he'd receive on the open market. Think Brandon Flowers whom signed a 1yr/3M deal with Chargers after being cut. Carr would get a Base of 3M which would be higher than flowers got at 1.5M, but you have to wait for the market to dry up and force Carr into a corner. I'd be shocked if this didn't happen.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's up bro? Just a few things, first in the middle paragraph I did my cap projections off of 140M cap number and the basis that Melton and Free's options wouldn't be picked up, which I believe most would agree they won't be at their price. Two I'd be shocked if Tyron's contract wasn't restructured do to the way it was built.

Me saying the cap will be 145-150M is my projection, but my numbers for cap space were never built on that. The cap was never a problem nor will be a problem is the truth, has Jerry not been able to keep those whom he wanted to keep? Have we had to let go of players we shouldn't have had to let go of? I'd say Ware might be the only one; however I'd also say it was the right move to cut him as painful as it was he even healthy this year isn't the same player as he once was, and not worth 10M a season to me. That's 1M per a sack if you look at his season this year.

I'd say that Dallas will not only not be in cap hell next year, but have enough space to do what they want, and add a couple of starting pieces on D.

Of your own FA's Dez, Murray, Durrant, McClain are the only ones that will cost you big time. I'd say find a way to keep Free although you have to be careful big men with feet problems isn't a good thing. In all honesty though, Dez deal won't really be huge hit on cap for probably at least two seasons if not three which by then Romo will be a memory and his cap number will hold no value to what we have, hence the reason why they are trying to sign Dez to a 10yr deal. McClain won't command to much as he is just one year removed from being crazy, and Durrant won't cost crazy money either as he is coming off of injury.

It'll be fun, but just know that I'm very confident in us having enough space to do as we please, and look forward to seeing that happen.

I'd agree with this. Everything I've heard is that the cap will go up this year by at least $7 million. Either way, Dallas did a great job last year of biting the bullet, parting ways with guys like Ware and Hatcher, guys who certainly could have helped them this year, but helped clean up the cap by moving on. I too think the Cowboys can do anything they want, and while it might be wise to take Sean Lee coming back plus hope for a couple of starters in the draft for the D, something tells me that after winning the Division, Jerry may go for broke pulling in impact defenders through FA

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct Nets, not too many of the FAs will cost big dollars, but we need to sign all of these or their replacements. The cumulative impact of a million or two here and there adds up. A lot of key players for us on this list even if most aren't superstars

Dallas Cowboys Free Agents - 2015

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than the obvious, some of the guys I am most concerned with losing are Leary, Moore, Beasley, Parnell and Harris. I know Harris is a #4 WR, but it's his STs play that concerns me most with losing if he signs elsewhere.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd agree with this. Everything I've heard is that the cap will go up this year by at least $7 million. Either way, Dallas did a great job last year of biting the bullet, parting ways with guys like Ware and Hatcher, guys who certainly could have helped them this year, but helped clean up the cap by moving on. I too think the Cowboys can do anything they want, and while it might be wise to take Sean Lee coming back plus hope for a couple of starters in the draft for the D, something tells me that after winning the Division, Jerry may go for broke pulling in impact defenders through FA

I think we build in draft, but also look for Dez to get a restructure on his new deal, and Tyron Smith to do the same....this will allow Jerry to go ape shit and buy a guy like Suh or JPP in FA; HOWEVER I still believe they continue to build through the draft. Just add one or two big names as well.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct Nets, not too many of the FAs will cost big dollars, but we need to sign all of these or their replacements. The cumulative impact of a million or two here and there adds up. A lot of key players for us on this list even if most aren't superstars

Dallas Cowboys Free Agents - 2015

I agree with you, that is where the draft comes in. Leary is a RFA meaning he wont be going anywhere unless someone pays us to take him with a nice draft choice. Harris is just what Harris is, a Special Teams ace, remember when Danny McCray was that for us? Well Harris can be replaced just like McCray was if the money isn't right. Cole Beasley is an RFA like Leary once again going no where. Moore will probably resign here for a decent amount, doubt the NFL will appreciate him on the market as much as we would with big names like Reeves and Harris out there, Moore would get lost in the market, not to mention I believe Carr takes a pay cut, just seems logical to me.

It'll all work out. We will have enough cap to do what we want; but if the cap goes between 145 and 150 like I am projecting ohhhh boy watch out, this will be fun!

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you, that is where the draft comes in. Leary is a RFA meaning he wont be going anywhere unless someone pays us to take him with a nice draft choice. Harris is just what Harris is, a Special Teams ace, remember when Danny McCray was that for us? Well Harris can be replaced just like McCray was if the money isn't right. Cole Beasley is an RFA like Leary once again going no where. Moore will probably resign here for a decent amount, doubt the NFL will appreciate him on the market as much as we would with big names like Reeves and Harris out there, Moore would get lost in the market, not to mention I believe Carr takes a pay cut, just seems logical to me.

It'll all work out. We will have enough cap to do what we want; but if the cap goes between 145 and 150 like I am projecting ohhhh boy watch out, this will be fun!

Of the two guys you mentioned earlier, I'd rather have JPP than Suh if Jerry binged that way. Edge pressure without blitzing has been non existent and this D's biggest problem IMO. The tackling and hustle has been much improved. Maybe the signing of JPP and the development of Lawrence could do wonders for the DLine. With the surprising season by McClain, the nice rookie year of Hitchens, and the return of Sean Lee, the LB's look pretty good for next season. That would free up the draft for DT's, corners, and maybe a QBF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of the two guys you mentioned earlier, I'd rather have JPP than Suh if Jerry binged that way. Edge pressure without blitzing has been non existent and this D's biggest problem IMO. The tackling and hustle has been much improved. Maybe the signing of JPP and the development of Lawrence could do wonders for the DLine. With the surprising season by McClain, the nice rookie year of Hitchens, and the return of Sean Lee, the LB's look pretty good for next season. That would free up the draft for DT's, corners, and maybe a QBF

I'd assume that out of the two that Suh is a pipe dream and that JPP would be the reality. Here are two reasons why, Crawford and Brent. Crawford will be your starting 3tech next year, very deserving of it, by far best DL player this season; and we all know how much the team loves Brent, you give him a full offseason to get right, and I think you see the Magic the team saw in him. I think Marinelli is key here though, I have never wanted a d/coach to stay as much as I want him back here next year.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd assume that out of the two that Suh is a pipe dream and that JPP would be the reality. Here are two reasons why, Crawford and Brent. Crawford will be your starting 3tech next year, very deserving of it, by far best DL player this season; and we all know how much the team loves Brent, you give him a full offseason to get right, and I think you see the Magic the team saw in him. I think Marinelli is key here though, I have never wanted a d/coach to stay as much as I want him back here next year.

I would think they would all want to stay. Rod has done wonders, and after seeing how much investing in the OLine early in the draft has paid off, you'd have to believe Jerry will target the D the next couple of years in the same fashion

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think they would all want to stay. Rod has done wonders, and after seeing how much investing in the OLine early in the draft has paid off, you'd have to believe Jerry will target the D the next couple of years in the same fashion

Don't think its about wanting to stay, but more of are you worth staying. I don't think Melton stays, unless he comes back as a FA after we decline the option especially with the news of a potential serious injury to his knee coming out today.

I think Maranelli comes back, and all of the rumors or ideas of him going to Tampa to join Lovie are just that. We have to understand Lovie has one of his close friends as the DC there already in Leslie Frasier and I believe he is still under contract, so do you Fire him? I doubt it seriously. I think Jerry pays and keeps Rod. Should be a fun offseason, that will shape our future for the next 3-5 years easy. I think Will McCray has to be kept, as well as Maranelli, I want Callehan back he's done wonders with this OL, etc it's more than just the players we have to bring in and back, this offseason is going to be critical to us being contenders for years to come.

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't think its about wanting to stay, but more of are you worth staying. I don't think Melton stays, unless he comes back as a FA after we decline the option especially with the news of a potential serious injury to his knee coming out today.

I think Maranelli comes back, and all of the rumors or ideas of him going to Tampa to join Lovie are just that. We have to understand Lovie has one of his close friends as the DC there already in Leslie Frasier and I believe he is still under contract, so do you Fire him? I doubt it seriously. I think Jerry pays and keeps Rod. Should be a fun offseason, that will shape our future for the next 3-5 years easy. I think Will McCray has to be kept, as well as Maranelli, I want Callehan back he's done wonders with this OL, etc it's more than just the players we have to bring in and back, this offseason is going to be critical to us being contenders for years to come.

I heard his name pop up today on the list of potential GM candidates and cringed.

You pay this man... and you keep this man.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard his name pop up today on the list of potential GM candidates and cringed.

You pay this man... and you keep this man.

Agree, he is far more important than the average fan would give him credit. He is largely responsible for all the mid round talent here today that we drafted as well as guys like selvie, mincey, mcclain, etc