• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What do you study in college to become a coordinator?

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trump University?

I didn't say I wanted to be a caoch but a coordinator, someone who calls plays. I want to learn football plays. Also, I want to do something fun in college while I get financial aid to help with my other needs.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had thought the coach was a higher position than coordinator. Not all coaches call plays. A lot do now, it was started by Payton.

So sports management is the course?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had thought the coach was a higher position than coordinator. Not all coaches call plays. A lot do now, it was started by Payton.

So sports management is the course?
Head coach is a higher position but all coordinators are still considered a coach. Honestly I would recommend reading a few books on coaching in general. I know Lou Holtz and Bill Belichick have books out that are recommended to coaches. Visit the website smart football.com as they do a great job of breaking down plays and showing you what works in what situations

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now everything depends on what level of coaching/coordinator you want to get into. College or higher you probably need to do everything possible to get connected with the team even if it is as towel boy.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to break it to you, but coordinators are coaches.

Exactly... Look at where guys do it..

Take a look at your Saints. Dennis Allen was a college (and 1 year of pro) player, went back to college as a grad assistant, then worked his way up the ladder.

Pete Carmichael Jr. His dad was a longtime coach, and got him a job 20 years ago as an assistant offensive line coach at New Hampshire. Made his NFL jump in 2000 to coach under his dad.

That's your methods for nearly all of them. Play the game, or have a dad who's a coach. Or try and start as an unpaid assistant for high-school and work your way up. Maybe work your way into a QC or scouting job at some point and up from there... but again where do most of those guys come from? College or pro players, or family in the business.

It isn't so much the degree... Even the QC jobs, you aren't using advanced statistics there..

And to be the worst O-cord you have to be a great positional coach, even better scout or QC coach, even better college coach, even better college assistant... It's like a pyramid. There's thousands of coaches all wanting that job. Many who've been playing or living football their entire lives.

So what do you study in college? I don't know, that's like asking what do you study in college to be a race car driver or the next queen of England. There's not really a class for that.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's like asking what do you study in college to be... the next queen of England. There's not really a class for that.

Aw, man. Here I was getting my hopes up and preparing to study at Oxford and everything.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get a degree in economics Thats what BB did

Belichick subsequently attended Wesleyan University in Middletown, Connecticut, where he played center and tight end. In addition to being a member of the football team, he played lacrosse and squash, serving as the captain of the lacrosse team during his senior season. A member of Chi Psi fraternity,[8] he earned a bachelor's degree in economics in 1975.[9]He would eventually be part of the inaugural induction class into the university's Athletics Hall of Fame in spring 2008

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get a degree in economics Thats what BB did

Belichick subsequently attended Wesleyan University in Middletown, Connecticut, where he played center and tight end. In addition to being a member of the football team, he played lacrosse and squash, serving as the captain of the lacrosse team during his senior season. A member of Chi Psi fraternity,[8] he earned a bachelor's degree in economics in 1975.[9]He would eventually be part of the inaugural induction class into the university's Athletics Hall of Fame in spring 2008

And a economics degree from Wesleylan if he didn't play football and his father wasn't the writer of the bible of football scouting opens what doors with the Colts today?

Play the game or it's the family job...