• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What do you study in college to become a coordinator?

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would be the type of course?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A college course? Maybe information systems and statistical analysis related courses? Just a suggestion if one wanted to optimize performance and maybe open up a pathway to being a GM down the road.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you study that at Technical or Community colleges?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well a few fields that help...There are degrees in actual coaching or usually better known as sports science. You can also get degrees in sports psychology, leadership, physical conditioning, nutrition, and athletic training. Probably more than anything though would be getting connections through these degree programs while in college to get a foot in the door with some coach. Try to get on as a graduate assistant at whatever university you are at. That is usually the bottom rung that you build from. From there is where you usually start branching into specific areas like being an Assistant Linebackers coach or whatever and then continue to build up the ranks that way.

Another way in is through coaching at the high school level. Usually if they start seeing college players come through your program then you might get a call to jump up to the collegiate level.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No idea, but if I had to guess? Animal gynecology.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that many CC's offer coaching certificates. Don't know how many, or what courses are involved.

Id assume A majority of coaches are education/psychology/physical education majors.

But I also assume it's who you know, not what you know. And if coaching is what you want to pursue, stick your nose out. Approach a high school or college and let them know your plans. Odds are high they won't turn you away. But odds are better, they also won't pay you.

Gotta start somewhere.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that many CC's offer coaching certificates. Don't know how many, or what courses are involved.

Id assume A majority of coaches are education/psychology/physical education majors.

But I also assume it's who you know, not what you know. And if coaching is what you want to pursue, stick your nose out. Approach a high school or college and let them know your plans. Odds are high they won't turn you away. But odds are better, they also won't pay you.

Gotta start somewhere.

The high school level you will usually get paid a small amount for your services. Usually somewhere between 1000-5000 is the average. Some of the private high schools and bigger schools in Texas though it can be a full time job and make 20,000-30,000 a year. Those are very difficult to get though. The college level though yes it usually does start with you being an unpaid intern for a couple of years. Which is why I recommend if you go this route to have it coordinate with you actually attending the school so that you are getting an education and can maybe survive on student loans while you are not getting paid to work long hours probably running errands. You work your tail off though usually at the end of those 2 years they will bump you up another level. You do well there it can be amazing how quickly you can move up. As with any job though you have to be willing to take your lumps along the way and probably watch people that you feel you could do a better job at their job than them keep getting promoted ahead of you many times for the work you do for them.

Definitely a tough field to get in.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was a serious question.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The high school level you will usually get paid a small amount for your services. Usually somewhere between 1000-5000 is the average. Some of the private high schools and bigger schools in Texas though it can be a full time job and make 20,000-30,000 a year. Those are very difficult to get though. The college level though yes it usually does start with you being an unpaid intern for a couple of years. Which is why I recommend if you go this route to have it coordinate with you actually attending the school so that you are getting an education and can maybe survive on student loans while you are not getting paid to work long hours probably running errands. You work your tail off though usually at the end of those 2 years they will bump you up another level. You do well there it can be amazing how quickly you can move up. As with any job though you have to be willing to take your lumps along the way and probably watch people that you feel you could do a better job at their job than them keep getting promoted ahead of you many times for the work you do for them.

Definitely a tough field to get in.

It could be different state to state and I'm sure it is. But there are caps to how many paid assistants here in MI high schools. Given, I started while still in college and didn't expect to get paid. But also would have needed another football coach or two to resign or be fired in order to be compensated.

Varsity head coach isn't bad pay here, if you are a school employee. Which is typicaly the case.

I do get paid to coach baseball, but didn't the first couple of years. (I give back what would be my 3-$4 per hour end of the season check anyway.)

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Bob Saget holds a private course in offensive coordination

I'm sure he does. Probably teaches a course at Temple for all I know. It's just difficult for him to hold a position since he keep banging all the hot pieces of ass that come through the program.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It could be different state to state and I'm sure it is. But there are caps to how many paid assistants here in MI high schools. Given, I started while still in college and didn't expect to get paid. But also would have needed another football coach or two to resign or be fired in order to be compensated.

Varsity head coach isn't bad pay here, if you are a school employee. Which is typicaly the case.

I do get paid to coach baseball, but didn't the first couple of years. (I give back what would be my 3-$4 per hour end of the season check anyway.)

I'm a paid soccer and golf coach in my town right now. Yeah it is not great money for sure. I do know down in Texas there are I think 11 head coaches in high school making over $90,000 a year. Honestly if you want to make good money coaching Texas is really the place to go to get in with people. I mean in San Antonio alone there are 50 high school coaches (this is all sports not just football) that are making $80,000 or more a year. Actually the highest paid coach in San Antonio is a girls basketball coach making $116,714 a year. He is also the Athletic Director of the school so that does help in his pay but that is pretty darn impressive.

I definitely make nowhere near that for coaching. But hey I am being paid to coach golf which pretty much means we spend a bit of time doing drills then spend at least an hour a day just going and playing golf. So I like to call myself a professional golfer because I get paid to play.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a paid soccer and golf coach in my town right now. Yeah it is not great money for sure. I do know down in Texas there are I think 11 head coaches in high school making over $90,000 a year. Honestly if you want to make good money coaching Texas is really the place to go to get in with people. I mean in San Antonio alone there are 50 high school coaches (this is all sports not just football) that are making $80,000 or more a year. Actually the highest paid coach in San Antonio is a girls basketball coach making $116,714 a year. He is also the Athletic Director of the school so that does help in his pay but that is pretty darn impressive.

I definitely make nowhere near that for coaching. But hey I am being paid to coach golf which pretty much means we spend a bit of time doing drills then spend at least an hour a day just going and playing golf. So I like to call myself a professional golfer because I get paid to play.
Highest paid state employee in Michigan is Tom Izzo. He worked for free when he came to East Lansing. Obviously he had a lot of things work in his favor. Namely Jud Heathcoate personally choosing him as successor. But he's doing what he's doing for millions, even though he'd do it for free.

Id tell everyone I'm a pro golfer too. lol

I usually fill in when we go live at practice. Not sure I can pull off pro baseball player though. Lol

We don't come near those figures for coaching here. Hell, if I were teaching and coaching three sports I still wouldn't. But Texas is something else. And I ain't messin with it.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Highest paid state employee in Michigan is Tom Izzo. He worked for free when he came to East Lansing. Obviously he had a lot of things work in his favor. Namely Jud Heathcoate personally choosing him as successor. But he's doing what he's doing for millions, even though he'd do it for free.

Id tell everyone I'm a pro golfer too. lol

I usually fill in when we go live at practice. Not sure I can pull off pro baseball player though. Lol

We don't come near those figures for coaching here. Hell, if I were teaching and coaching three sports I still wouldn't. But Texas is something else. And I ain't messin with it.

This is why I sometimes laugh when other states talk about how Football obsessed they are. Texas has to take the cake especially for High School football. I mean they treat it like the pros. We had a kid move to our area in Kansas that said he couldn't even make the team down in Texas. In Kansas he is an instant starter and actually a star on his team.

I actually am like you in our soccer practices when they need another person to play I get out there with the students. My body right now is telling me how stupid of a mistake that is after this past week. Had one kid that I swear belonged to the Cobra Kai of The Karate Kid as he swept my leg and I honestly thought he broke it for a few minutes. I'm a week out and I still can't put much weight on the leg. Might have to hang up the cleats for a while and leave it to the young ones.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The way to be the most successful football coach possible is to major in getting athletes to take steroids with a minor in keeping it a secret. You'll be a millionaire before you know it.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why I sometimes laugh when other states talk about how Football obsessed they are. Texas has to take the cake especially for High School football. I mean they treat it like the pros. We had a kid move to our area in Kansas that said he couldn't even make the team down in Texas. In Kansas he is an instant starter and actually a star on his team.

I actually am like you in our soccer practices when they need another person to play I get out there with the students. My body right now is telling me how stupid of a mistake that is after this past week. Had one kid that I swear belonged to the Cobra Kai of The Karate Kid as he swept my leg and I honestly thought he broke it for a few minutes. I'm a week out and I still can't put much weight on the leg. Might have to hang up the cleats for a while and leave it to the young ones.
its really hard to even fathom Texas high school football. Cuz, well, it is an obsession here. Lol. We don't have running water at the baseball field. The football field.... Multi million dollar HD jumbotron. lol.

Id regret playing soccer, no doubt. Way too much contact. And running. lol. But so long as they never expect me to work on catching by showing them live, I've got a few more years of utility man, at practice, in me.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You need a degree in American Football Coaching from the prestigious Trump University. My research suggests it's the only university that offers such a degree. From what I understand, it's also where Ftballgenius (for those who remember him) got his degree in science, so you know it's a good school.