• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What are your top 10 coaching jobs going into 2020

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow I've heard it all now with the mention of Iowa...IOWA?? lol

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow I've heard it all now with the mention of Iowa...IOWA?? lol

Iowa is the butt of jokes about Ferentz contract extensions. How is that horrible for a coach - especially one who has averaged a 10-win season every 5 seasons?

People still think he is a Top 10 highest paid coach in the nation.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa is the butt of jokes about Ferentz contract extensions. How is that horrible for a coach - especially one who has averaged a 10-win season every 5 seasons?

People still think he is a Top 10 highest paid coach in the nation.
probably because most don't care.. Let's be real the west isn't that appealing but he's done well there.. that make it a top 10 job? Because of low aspirations?

TheReal_NU

This space intentionally left blank
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, but anytime someone starts a thread about top coaching destinations, you claiming Mizzou was a top job always pops into my head. Nothing personal.

missouri is definitely a top 10 coaching destination.

In the SEC.

East

Maybe.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nebraska hired a coach because he was a nice guy.
And because they hired Scott Frost, NU became preseason Natty Champs.

NU has destroyed their coaching job status once they fired Bo.

TheReal_NU

This space intentionally left blank
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska hired a coach because he was a nice guy.
And because they hired Scott Frost, NU became preseason Natty Champs.

NU has destroyed their coaching job status once they fired Bo.

Scott Frost makes more money per win than even Ferentz.

:D

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So FL is the flagship school now? Mullen has brought them back?
*I see they won the sec east in 2015 and 2016..FLAGSHIP
And FSU won their division half as many times in the same time frame.

Has Mullen brought them back from the disasters of Texas former coach-in-waiting, and the Sharkboy?
So far so good. His two seasons have more than met expectations. Recruiting is improving. 21-5 overall record. Two NY6 bowl victories. His offense production is the best it's been since Tebow played.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only person that doesn’t get how Georgia has so much talent in state and hasn’t won a title in forever?
Poor coaching choices ... Ray Goff is a great guy, but he was not a great head coach. Donan was a decent coach, really great guy then and now, but lost control of the team. Richt had so much potential early, but simple didn't have the edge to bump UGA from being top 10, but not top 1. Then they let him stay too long because he is such a great guy.

Also, some really bad luck with no breaks going our way. But, it is what it is. Believe Smart will get us there. He's young, will learn to be a better coach, and is one of the best recruiters there is. That and a little luck, and we'll get there.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poor coaching choices ... Ray Goff is a great guy, but he was not a great head coach. Donan was a decent coach, really great guy then and now, but lost control of the team. Richt had so much potential early, but simple didn't have the edge to bump UGA from being top 10, but not top 1. Then they let him stay too long because he is such a great guy.

Also, some really bad luck with no breaks going our way. But, it is what it is. Believe Smart will get us there. He's young, will learn to be a better coach, and is one of the best recruiters there is. That and a little luck, and we'll get there.
Do you feel Kirby is flexible enough offensively to be willing to adapt?
www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29124560/how-spread-offense-conquered-college-football-hal-mumme-joe-burrow

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I personally don’t think Kirby is a great coach. Pretty good, but he gets in his own head when the game matters. I definitely see what you mean about coaching although I always was a Richt fan.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And FSU won their division half as many times in the same time frame.

Has Mullen brought them back from the disasters of Texas former coach-in-waiting, and the Sharkboy?
So far so good. His two seasons have more than met expectations. Recruiting is improving. 21-5 overall record. Two NY6 bowl victories. His offense production is the best it's been since Tebow played.
Mack screwed Muschamp by not retiring after the 2009 season. Coach blood already had Dana Holgerson agree to be his OC... instead Mack stays and decides to go all 3 yards and a cloud of dust instead of staying with the spread offense that got him to a BCS title game twice in 4 seasons smh...

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey man...that old Texas boy Hayden Fry did that for them.
I remember when Hayden Fry left North Texas State for Iowa. I was like WTF? Why go to a place that is always on the wrong side of the 52-0 score. fyi: That was way before I was ever a Cyclone fan or stepped in the State of Iowa. I thought the man had lost his marbles, but he turned out to be smarter than all of us! Not an Iowa fan, but I love Hayden Fry.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally don’t think Kirby is a great coach. Pretty good, but he gets in his own head when the game matters. I definitely see what you mean about coaching although I always was a Richt fan.

He's been a head coach for 4 years. He's 44 years old. He's won 3 SECE titles, 3 trips to Atlanta, 1 SEC title, won the Rose Bowl semi, a Sugar Bowl, and lost in OT in the NC game. He's 13-1 against our biggest rivals. Sure, we've not won the NC, 40 years and all that. I get it. And yes, like any new college coach he's had some brain farts. Aside from the lack of a natty, that's pretty damn good. Thinking there are only a few fanbases here who wouldn't want some of that. Give him time to learn and grow, then we will see how good he is at actually being a head coach.

I was a huge Mark Richt ran. But, in retrospect, he didn't have the killer instinct you simply have to have.

I certainly hope he is flexible enough. He's obviously not afraid to change OC, let's just hope that Monken is a better choice than sticking with Coley. He stayed with Coley for continuity. That was a big mistake. I didn't mind moving away from Chaney, but Coley wasn't the answer. Monken will certainly open it up if Smart lets him.

You can't doubt Smart on the defensive side of the ball. A lot of people always said, "he's just doing what Saban is telling him to do, and he's just running Saban's D." A lot of truth to that, but he was certainly learning, and probably contributing a lot more than people gave him credit for. What he's done in UGA on the D side is pretty amazing. Now just learn to let an OC run that side and maybe we can get off the 40 years schnide.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Monken will certainly open it up if Smart lets him.
This is exactly why I asked the question. It really isn't in the DNA of a true defensive coach to "let" an offense exist that can put the defense on the field a lot i.e. vulnerable situations. Several defensive minded HCs have "let" it happen... the most obvious one being Saban. And look what happened when Coach O "let" it happen. I remember Bob Stoops saying something like the rest of CFB would be in trouble if LSU ever started throwing it and catching it with the talent they have year in and year out.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is exactly why I asked the question. It really isn't in the DNA of a true defensive coach to "let" an offense exist that can put the defense on the field a lot i.e. vulnerable situations. Several defensive minded HCs have "let" it happen... the most obvious one being Saban. And look what happened when Coach O "let" it happen. I remember Bob Stoops saying something like the rest of CFB would be in trouble if LSU ever started throwing it and catching it with the talent they have year in and year out.
It's a totally valid question, and even die hard Dawgs are critical of his strategy of not opening the offense, presumably to protect his defense. There is a balance ... the BigXII experience has taught us this. But, as you point out, even Saban has opened up the O.

At the end of the day Smart wants to win badly enough that he will have to open it up. Seeing Bama and LSU do so will help make that happen.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a totally valid question, and even die hard Dawgs are critical of his strategy of not opening the offense, presumably to protect his defense. There is a balance ... the BigXII experience has taught us this. But, as you point out, even Saban has opened up the O.

At the end of the day Smart wants to win badly enough that he will have to open it up. Seeing Bama and LSU do so will help make that happen.
Maybe Smart will. If he does, it might result in something great because Georgia has always had a lot of talent. Defensive stats may not look as good but the wins may soothe that frustration to the point he is willing to accept it.

Gary Patterson really didn't want to open it up but saw he had to after their first couple of years in the Big 12. He was and is still about defense. I think Bill Snyder didn't like have to open up either. But he did...a little.

And not to pick on just defensive minded head coaches. Even offensive minded coaches have to be willing to change they other way sometimes or they struggle winning at the highest level. Artie Boy Briles had his defenses on the field way too much to win in many big games. Their defenses were not really as bad as perceived. A lot of times their defense was either gassed or the offense put them in vulnerable situations on a very frequent basis. Their time of possession some years was waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy out of balance.

Leach has changed to accomodate the defense a couple of times. When he did those were some of his best teams. Never saw Chip Kelly willing to do so. Same for Coach GQ at Tech. He just expected Mahomes to outscore the opponents...and they often did. Maybe he'll do so in the pros. If not he probably won't last long. Difference is in the pros is he isn't at the recruiting disadvantage like he was at Tech. More equal footing via the draft.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Smart will. If he does, it might result in something great because Georgia has always had a lot of talent. Defensive stats may not look as good but the wins may soothe that frustration to the point he is willing to accept it.

Gary Patterson really didn't want to open it up but saw he had to after their first couple of years in the Big 12. He was and is still about defense. I think Bill Snyder didn't like have to open up either. But he did...a little.

And not to pick on just defensive minded head coaches. Even offensive minded coaches have to be willing to change they other way sometimes or they struggle winning at the highest level. Artie Boy Briles had his defenses on the field way too much to win in many big games. Their defenses were not really as bad as perceived. A lot of times their defense was either gassed or the offense put them in vulnerable situations on a very frequent basis. Their time of possession some years was waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy out of balance.

Leach has changed to accomodate the defense a couple of times. When he did those were some of his best teams. Never saw Chip Kelly willing to do so. Same for Coach GQ at Tech. He just expected Mahomes to outscore the opponents...and they often did. Maybe he'll do so in the pros. If not he probably won't last long. Difference is in the pros is he isn't at the recruiting disadvantage like he was at Tech. More equal footing via the draft.

That year Sweaty P brought in Cumbie and Meacham.. wow.. Boykin was on another level. I still think that team beats Bama and Oregon the way tosu did. Everyone joked about them losing to Baylor with the score in the 60's, but most don't understand how banged up that TCU defense was going into the game. They improved week to week as they got more healthy.. Ole miss settled for a FG from inside the 10yd line in the 4th qtr just so they wouldn't get donut'd in the sugar bowl that post season.