• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What are your thoughts on the Packers running no huddle 60% of the time?

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw this article in the Milwaukee paper saying how the Pack has been working big on the no huddle and could use it 60% of the time and be real fast paced like Oregon? The article is kind of long to post all of it so click the link and read. This could be fun to watch.

Packers want snappy tempo with no-huddle offense

This year is Take 2.

Through four exhibition drives, the first-team offense is averaging a crisp 8.75 plays. The quarterback says he's comfortable at the controls. And Green Bay now hopes it has the horses to keep its pedal to the metal. If it's successful early, expect the no-huddle to stick. Finley estimates the Packers will run the offense 60% of the time.

As training camp winds down, offensive coordinator Tom Clements does see a difference from last year.
"We spent a lot of time on it," Clements said. "It's hard to say until you actually play a regular-season game but we're ahead of where we were. We just have a better approach to it this year than we did last year at this time."

Above all, speed fuels this offense. Quick decisions. No lag between plays. As Finley said, the entire offense has watched footage of the University of Oregon, the well-oiled machine Chip Kelly left behind. Last year the Ducks averaged 81.4 plays per game. Green Bay ranked ninth in the NFL at 65.1 per game, as the New England Patriots — drawing many principles from Oregon — led the league at 74.4.
The logistics are different. For one, players in Green Bay will be using hand signals — not Oregon's zany pictures from the sideline.

Yet the idea is the same. Green Bay wants to hustle to the line of scrimmage, prevent the defense from making substitutions and let Rodgers exploit the mismatch.

Run the play. Repeat. Find the end zone.

A breakneck tempo must dominate. No wonder center Evan Dietrich-Smith was livid during last week's game at St. Louis. Dropping a few choice words inside the locker room this week, he explained how glacier-slow the officiating crew was in spotting the ball each play. Throughout the first-team offense's three possessions, they raced back to the line between plays, but the officials often lagged behind.
By rule, if there's not an offensive substitution, the official must spot the ball. Any slight pause gives the defense a chance to breathe, to react, to adjust. Yet too often, Dietrich-Smith said, the officials checked to see if the Packers were making substitutions.

The center would prefer officials "put the (expletive) ball down" and move aside.

packfancjh

Hoopla Cash
$ 403.15
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for running the no huddle often but it does open the door for fatigue and injuries and Lord knows we've had enough of those lately.

Doctor Krieger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I worry with guys like Finley with grasping a no huddle offense...was it just me, or does Rodgers have to correct him once a game on which side to be on, in the slot or on the line etc.?

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodgers has to correct everyone...He is responsible for knowing where everyone is and needs to be at all times. just the nature of the position he plays

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for running the no huddle often but it does open the door for fatigue and injuries and Lord knows we've had enough of those lately.

Agree this could be issue, but looking at NE and Indy with Peyton, they ran similar and I do not recall big increase in their injuries on offense... but that could just be because i am not close to their teams.

Potential advantages>
- Rodgers exploit mismatches
- Tire out the opponents defense
- Helping pass protection if defense gets tired
- Helping quick backs like Franklin later in game if defense tired. Fresh set of legs could pull off some big gains

Potential disadvantages>
- Injury risks
- Defense may be on field longer
- Puts big emphasis on picking up 3rd and shorts... otherwise just giving ball back to opponent quickly

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we run no huddle that much we have to score TDs...if we are going to potentially leave our defense on the field that much we need them to be able to play with the lead.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One other plus about the no huddle is as mentioned before you tire the defense, but when they get tired that opens up even more big runs for Lacy

cyorgan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree this could be issue, but looking at NE and Indy with Peyton, they ran similar and I do not recall big increase in their injuries on offense... but that could just be because i am not close to their teams.

Potential advantages>
- Rodgers exploit mismatches
- Tire out the opponents defense
- Helping pass protection if defense gets tired
- Helping quick backs like Franklin later in game if defense tired. Fresh set of legs could pull off some big gains

Potential disadvantages>
- Injury risks
- Defense may be on field longer
- Puts big emphasis on picking up 3rd and shorts... otherwise just giving ball back to opponent quickly

This has been our Achilles heal for the last 2 seasons. We cannot control the clock. When the Giants beat us, they beat us not by exposing our secondary or lack of effective pass rush. They beat us by controlling the clock. McCarthy can't seem to figure this out. Plus, as stated, the defense gets winded and a lot of the players, mainly Raji, cannot play at their best when they are constantly on the field. Sure, a running game might fix this, but if you're running the no huddle the majority of the time, you're just asking for your defense to be winded. If there's a way to control the clock through the no-huddle, I'm all for it but I just don't see that happening.

Personally, I like the no huddle, but we cannot do it 60% of the time. In fact, the only legitimate reason to run it 60% of the time is if we're behind and we need to score quickly. However, that's still risky given that our defense is still a bit behind where we'd like it to be. If we come out and Clay has at least 10 sacksthrough week 9, I'd be satisfied in knowing we could play nothing but up tempo until we have a bye. If that's the case, that means our D-line is getting pressure and is at least somewhat successful in stopping the run. If our defense isn't that good this year, we can't consistently be putting them in a position where they will fail. As good as our offense is, we cannot rely on them scoring as quickly as they did in 2011. 2011 was quite the anomaly.

In reference to the first line, I'm sure everyone remembers Joseph Addai and how often he was injured. In fact, Indy has really struggled to find his replacement. Donald Brown's a bust and Vick Ballard is only going into his second year so he might have a sophomore slump. I'm really not too concerned about injuries, we've had plenty and we'll have plenty more. Of course we'd hope that if we're going to have injuries, it would be to depth players, not starters...