• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What are your first memories of the NFL?

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more coherent memories for me are the Dolphins slapping around the Vikings in the Superbowl. I thought Larry Csonka was kind of an unfair player in that game.

I also remember the Packers looking like crap and about the only thing anybody talked about was John Brockington was good and Bart Starr needed to retire.

Tony Hill's catch in the Superbowl was a bit of an iffy call, but I didn't care as the Broncos were awful in that game.

Stabler was a damn killer, even if he had a pus arm.

Earl Campbell came into the league and wreaked havoc on defenses.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ron Jaworski Wilbert Montgomery and the 80 Philadelphia Eagles

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more coherent memories for me are the Dolphins slapping around the Vikings in the Superbowl. I thought Larry Csonka was kind of an unfair player in that game.

I also remember the Packers looking like crap and about the only thing anybody talked about was John Brockington was good and Bart Starr needed to retire.

Tony Hill's catch in the Superbowl was a bit of an iffy call, but I didn't care as the Broncos were awful in that game.

Stabler was a damn killer, even if he had a pus arm.

Earl Campbell came into the league and wreaked havoc on defenses.
I believe you meant Butch Johnson's TD. :suds:

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chicago Bears/New York Giants NFL Championship game. Y. A. Tittle quarterbacking the Giants against Bill Wade and a fierce Bears defense. The Bears won 14-10. I rooted for the Bears. 1963; I was 10 years old. I didn't know any better.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i recall lombardi dying cause my dad loved the skins and talked about it to me and my older brother.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first memory was the Ice Bowl in the NFCC Game in '67. That would put me at 8 and we went sledding in the snow, all I remember of that game was my friend's dad screaming at the tv about a face mask penalty when we returned. We went downstairs to play, I was too young I guess to have interest in football.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably my grandparents (Dad's side). We used to have Thanksgiving or dinners over there quite a bit and my grandparents had this really cool fully furnished/finished basement. Even had a bar in it, several rooms (full bath and bedroom) and then a main living room which had their TV, huge couch, few recliners. My grandparents weren't hoarders by any stretch, but they had a bunch of cool/random stuff to 'discover' that was always fun for us as kids lol. And my grandfather was the type of "Oh you keep that" guy lol. That basement (and his office) was a treasure chest of oddities and knick knacks.

My grandma always made a bunch of snacks and did the fondue with lil' smokies and Catalina dressing to dip in (or cheese, etc.) lol. Far back I can remember this was prob. 6 or 7? I think by the time I was 9-10 I started to really get into football and understand all the rules, players, etc. This was basically before mainstream Internet and forums like SportsHoopla, etc.

Anyway - earliest memories of the NFL: My grandpa would always put on the Seahawks if they were playing (if we were there on Sunday) or the usual Detroit/Dallas Thanksgiving games. A lot of times I was playing with toys or something but also casually watching the game and yelling and screaming when everyone else did lol. As I got older I seemed to take over the entire interest of football in the family, lol. Around 10 or so, I was the one that was pissed off we were driving over there on Sunday when the game was starting and asking my Dad to turn on the radio and my Dad for whatever reason got all bitchy about it, lol.

Last edited:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 1989 season.

Ickey Woods and Boomer Esiason vs Joe Montana and Jerry Rice. The Super Bowl was interesting enough to get me hooked for life, I think. Back in the day, though, about half of the Super Bowls were stinkers.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can vaguely recall the 1966 NFL Championship game (I do remember Dave Robinson forcing Don Meredith into a bad throw that Tom Brown intercepted pretty well). I vividly remember the ’67 Championship game - any Cowboy fan (and Packer fan for that matter) who was old enough to have a clue remembers that one.

And for the record - I remember the Heidi Bowl very well. Lived in CA so we didn’t get preempted and saw the entire thing (one of the craziest endings ever). It was the next day before I heard about the interruption on the East Coast.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can vaguely recall the 1966 NFL Championship game (I do remember Dave Robinson forcing Don Meredith into a bad throw that Tom Brown intercepted pretty well). I vividly remember the ’67 Championship game - any Cowboy fan (and Packer fan for that matter) who was old enough to have a clue remembers that one.

And for the record - I remember the Heidi Bowl very well. Lived in CA so we didn’t get preempted and saw the entire thing (one of the craziest endings ever). It was the next day before I heard about the interruption on the East Coast.
amazing but rarely talked about today.