• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What are you listening to right now?

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,780.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@yoga≈surfing
Amazing artist that had somehow flown under my radar (until you posted a couple of tunes in the Alphabet thread). I'm definitely checking out more of this coolest of kool kats...

He's pretty amazing...the 1st time I heard him was when he appeared on a Larry Coryell album in the 80's.

(Taken from his wiki page)
Since 1970 Urbaniak has been playing a his custom-made, five-string violin furnished especially for him, violin synthesizer called "talkin'" violin, soprano, alto and tenor saxophones and on lyricon (electric sax-like horn). His fusion with a hint of folklore was becoming popular among the leaders of American jazz, and also provided opportunity for many new musicians (Harold Williams, Steve Jordan,Marcus Miller, Kenny Kirkland, Tony Bunn, Omar Hakim, and Victor Bailey). He started to play in well known clubs such as the Village Vanguard and Village Gate, in famous concert halls such as Carnegie Hall, Beacon Theatre, and Avery Fisher Hall. In this period he played with such stars as Weather Report, Freddie Hubbard, Elvin Jones, Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea, George Benson, and Billy Cobham.

Urbaniak has invited and has been invited by many other well known jazz musicians, including Lenny White, Wayne Shorter, Marcus Miller, Joe Zawinul, Ron Carter, Kenny Barron, Buster Williams and Quincy Jones. In 1985, he was invited to play during the recording of Tutu with the father of Jazz & Jazz Fusion, Miles Davis. Davis is reported to have said on this occasion: "Get me this fucking Polish fiddler, he's got the sound!"

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Music brought me to SportsHoopla...time to confine myself to this thread