• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What about Jarred Allen to replace Bennett?

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is currently without a contract in Minny. If we can't satisfy Bennett and he leaves, plus if they release Clemons I'd love to see us take a run at Jarred Allen. He'll be 31 this upcoming season which isn't that old, it's getting up there but I'd still say he's got 2 or 3 years left before the big decline. Allen has a very high motor and could really thrive in a defense like ours. He has a great knack for getting to the QB and if we don't have Bennett we'll need someone to step into that role. Now, $9-$11M per year would be too much, but if its like the article says and he can be had for closer to the $26M for 5 years then I'd say that is very doable.

With Vikings on decline, Jared Allen mulls future

"Allen's representatives let teams know he was open to a trade for the right situation (and the right money) before last month's deadline, which came and went without a deal. It remains to be seen what his first trip into free agency holds, though he figures to have options.
One NFL executive, speaking on condition of anonymity for competitive reasons, guessed Allen will get $9 million to $11 million a year. Another executive guessed Elvis Dumervil's five-year, $26 million deal with Baltimore could be closer "because of age and tread on the tires."

Last edited by a moderator:

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll want as much as Bennett does.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll want as much as Bennett does.

That's a possibility but like the article says, at least one NFL executive thinks the number may be closer to the $26M over 5 years. At that dollar figure he starts to look pretty desirable. Even if it comes out somewhere between that number and the $9 - $11M per year that could put the figure at around maybe $7-$8M per year. For a 5 time probowler that isn't too expensive.

There is also the factor that Allen may want to go to a contending team. His window for a ring is starting to close so would he be willing to take slightly less to play on a team that is expected to make the playoffs over one that isn't?

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure Jared Allen's first and second priority will be to get the best long term deal possible. But if the market doesn't provide him with that $9-11 mil per year deal he might have to settle for a Dwight Freeney/John Abraham/Cliff Avril type of short term deal.

And if that is the case...what better place than Seattle to go showcase your talents on a one year deal and hopefully get a bigger deal the year after

Oh and he gets a chance at winning a ring too

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would much rather give Jared Allen the money than bennett if his asking price is in the same ballpark I started the bennett no discount thread and ive been saying that Im on board with parting ways with him if need be because he isnt an everydown player. Well Jared Allen is an every down player, he will end up with more sacks than bennett and the beauty of it is that his sole purpose of coming to seattle is because he wants to win a ring so that would be another veteran coming in trying to win

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather give Bennett the money due to Bennett's age and versatility. Michael Bennett plays the run well and can rush the passer from DE or DT. Jared Allen will be 32 going into 2014 and is coming off his lowest sack total since 2010.

There are some DEs who can maintain a high level of play into their 30s, but not all of them can. Allen has been one of the best 4-3 DEs over the past 10 years and will probably finish in the top 5 for career sacks, but I have concerns if his level of play would match the contract given to him. I think that Bennett is the safer option.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Seahawks can find edge rushers without needing to go get high profile FAs.

Having a guy that gets pressure on the inside like Bennett changes the complexion of the defense. I have no doubt that Allen would produce, but he wouldn't have the type of impact that Bennett brings.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Seahawks can find edge rushers without needing to go get high profile FAs.

Having a guy that gets pressure on the inside like Bennett changes the complexion of the defense. I have no doubt that Allen would produce, but he wouldn't have the type of impact that Bennett brings.

Exactly. Allen is a more flashy player (will put up double digit sacks) but Bennett has the rare ability of collapsing the pocket while also being able to provide an edge rush and play the run effectively.

Michael Bennett doesn't put up the sack numbers of a star, but IMO he has the impact of an All-Pro.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Allen is a more flashy player (will put up double digit sacks) but Bennett has the rare ability of collapsing the pocket while also being able to provide an edge rush and play the run effectively.

Michael Bennett doesn't put up the sack numbers of a star, but IMO he has the impact of an All-Pro.

:agree:

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take Bennett over Allen for all the reasons you guys listed. Bennett's numbers won't blow you away, but his versatility should. When you have a guy who can get pressure from the inside and the outside and play the run well too, it gives you more options from a personnel and scheme standpoint. You can move that guy around and not have to worry about him getting over-matched while the guys around him are doing what they do best. It allows you to put more of your best players out there. If you're gonna get a guy like Allen, he'd be the kind of guy you'd want to put next to Bennett, not replace Bennett.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree with most of you. They are different players. Inside rush vs outside rush. Bennett's versality isn't something you are going to find a whole lot of around the league. Allen is an edge rusher which we have with Avril and potentially Irvin if they move him back. I guess Allen would maybe sign cheaper for a shot at a ring but I don't think he's a fit here.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a possibility but like the article says, at least one NFL executive thinks the number may be closer to the $26M over 5 years. At that dollar figure he starts to look pretty desirable. Even if it comes out somewhere between that number and the $9 - $11M per year that could put the figure at around maybe $7-$8M per year. For a 5 time probowler that isn't too expensive.

There is also the factor that Allen may want to go to a contending team. His window for a ring is starting to close so would he be willing to take slightly less to play on a team that is expected to make the playoffs over one that isn't?

He very recently had that opportunity when there was talk of being traded and he made it very clear money was his only concern.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He very recently had that opportunity when there was talk of being traded and he made it very clear money was his only concern.

Maybe money is all that drives him, but with all things being equal if a contending team were to offer similar money as a non-contending team that may be all the extra motivation he (or anyone else for that matter) would need. According to what I've read Minnesota hasn't exactly laid out the welcome mat and offered up a nice juicy contract. They let the deadline pass and Allen will officially have no contract on March 11. That opens the door for every team to make offers. Personally, I'd prefer to keep our current roster in tact, but Bennett has made it clear he'll leave for the most money. If he leaves (and the team cuts Clemons, which is likely) the Seahawks would suddenly have a need at that position that Allen could fill nicely for maybe less money than it would take to keep Bennett. People have said we could fill the need through the draft but that isn't what we did last year. We signed the two best FA's at the position in Avril and Bennett and it paid off in spades. If one of those pieces leaves then I see no problem doing the same thing with this years best FA player at the position, Jarred Allen.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe money is all that drives him, but with all things being equal if a contending team were to offer similar money as a non-contending team that may be all the extra motivation he (or anyone else for that matter) would need. According to what I've read Minnesota hasn't exactly laid out the welcome mat and offered up a nice juicy contract. They let the deadline pass and Allen will officially have no contract on March 11. That opens the door for every team to make offers. Personally, I'd prefer to keep our current roster in tact, but Bennett has made it clear he'll leave for the most money. If he leaves (and the team cuts Clemons, which is likely) the Seahawks would suddenly have a need at that position that Allen could fill nicely for maybe less money than it would take to keep Bennett. People have said we could fill the need through the draft but that isn't what we did last year. We signed the two best FA's at the position in Avril and Bennett and it paid off in spades. If one of those pieces leaves then I see no problem doing the same thing with this years best FA player at the position, Jarred Allen.

The way I interpreted Bennett's comments was that he wasn't interested in doing the type of deal that landed him in Seattle in the first place again. Maybe I'm wrong and he really meant that he was going to go to the highest bidder (leave for the most money), but that's not how I took his comments.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Julius Peppers may be cut by the Bears. If the Seahawks are looking for a stop-gap vet pass rusher, he could be a guy to look at. Since he is 34 I can't imagine he is looking for a multi year deal, or that any team would give him one.