• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

We're old and breaking down..whats next?

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This homestand was supposed to be where we got healthy and to the more optimistic fans a chance to right the ship. However after watching this team score 7 runs in 4 games against the Yankees, and they didnt even face CC Sabathia, its clear this team it out of gas.

Because of injuries to guys like Morse, Smoak, Sucre and the reluctance to place any of them on the DL in a timely manner has resulted into the same guys out their every day and these guys are gassed right now.

Bay and Ibanez were brought in to be platoon/part time players. Not everyday players. However since this team inexplicably relied on Guti to be an everyday player again and the fact that Morse cant stay healthy, and the fact that Saunders struggles have forced him to get days off instead of Bay/Ibanez has taken its toll.
Jason Bay was having a pretty good season until the Mariners were forced to play him 10 games in a row. He’d hit .179 over that stretch coming into today, then went 1-for-4 with three strikeouts. Raul Ibanez has played 10 in a row and is now 2-for-his-last-17.
This isnt 2003 and these guys arent every day players.

Morse needs to be DL'd badly. The second time this year they havent DL'd because they are terrified of losing his bat for two weeks instead they hold a bench spot for him and run everyone else down. He cant play in the field right now. Luckly that double he hit the other day bounced over the fence cause I dont think he would have made it to second.

Smoaks injury has forced Morales to play more 1st. He has been better then I thought but cant handle everyday duties there. His back flaring up the other day proves that. Also I think I have seen all I need to from Liddi at 1st.

Also Shoppach who for a journey catcher was handling every day duties decently for a while.
He was hitting .264 a month ago and he’s now down to .198.

Here are some moves I think we should make...not they will change things much but

-DL Morse, recall Peguero
He's not healing by keeping him here. Let him rest and give us some depth for Ibanez and Bay to rest.

-Recall Andino, option Truifnel
They arent playing Truinfel at all. Goes back to refusing to give Ryan or Franklin even one day off in the week. If you are gonna have a guy ride the pine it might as well be someone who doesnt have a future in the organization. Ryan is hitting better, up around .230 is well enough to keep him the lineup for me.

-Option Liddi, recall Ackley, play Ackley at 1B
I wasnt orignially a fan of rushing Ackley back. However this team needs depth and major league hitters in the worse way. He is hitting over. 400 at AAA, not sure what tearing it up there will do for him but I know he cant play 1st and has before. That way you can keep him and Franklin here and eliminate a dead spot in the order.

Thats all I got for now. Didnt even touch on the pitching. I guess Ill save that for another rant.

blade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This homestand was supposed to be where we got healthy and to the more optimistic fans a chance to right the ship. However after watching this team score 7 runs in 4 games against the Yankees, and they didnt even face CC Sabathia, its clear this team it out of gas.

Because of injuries to guys like Morse, Smoak, Sucre and the reluctance to place any of them on the DL in a timely manner has resulted into the same guys out their every day and these guys are gassed right now.

Bay and Ibanez were brought in to be platoon/part time players. Not everyday players. However since this team inexplicably relied on Guti to be an everyday player again and the fact that Morse cant stay healthy, and the fact that Saunders struggles have forced him to get days off instead of Bay/Ibanez has taken its toll.
Jason Bay was having a pretty good season until the Mariners were forced to play him 10 games in a row. He’d hit .179 over that stretch coming into today, then went 1-for-4 with three strikeouts. Raul Ibanez has played 10 in a row and is now 2-for-his-last-17.
This isnt 2003 and these guys arent every day players.

Morse needs to be DL'd badly. The second time this year they havent DL'd because they are terrified of losing his bat for two weeks instead they hold a bench spot for him and run everyone else down. He cant play in the field right now. Luckly that double he hit the other day bounced over the fence cause I dont think he would have made it to second.

Smoaks injury has forced Morales to play more 1st. He has been better then I thought but cant handle everyday duties there. His back flaring up the other day proves that. Also I think I have seen all I need to from Liddi at 1st.

Also Shoppach who for a journey catcher was handling every day duties decently for a while.
He was hitting .264 a month ago and he’s now down to .198.

Here are some moves I think we should make...not they will change things much but

-DL Morse, recall Peguero.
He's not healing by keeping him here. Let him rest and give us some depth for Ibanez and Bay to rest.

-Recall Andino, option Truifnel
They arent playing Truinfel at all. Goes back to refusing to give Ryan or Franklin even one day off in the week. If you are gonna have a guy ride the pine it might as well be someone who doesnt have a future in the organization. Ryan is hitting better, up around .230 is well enough to keep him the lineup for me.

-Option Liddi, recall Ackley, play Ackley at 1B
I wasnt orignially a fan of rushing Ackley back. However this team needs depth and major league hitters in the worse way. He is hitting over. 400 at AAA, not sure what tearing it up there will do for him but I know he cant play 1st and has before. That way you can keep him and Franklin here and eliminate a dead spot in the order.

Thats all I got for now. Didnt even touch on the pitching. I guess Ill save that for another rant.

Mariners biggest problem this year is their inability for starting position players to hit right-handed pitching.

Below is a typical lineup versus a right-handed pitcher with the player's stats versus right-handed pitching in parenthesis. Bolded players hit .250 or better. There aren't that many hitters that can be counted on against righties

CF Saunders (.216)
LF Chavez (.273)
3B Seagar (.325)
1B Morales (.263)
DH Ibanez (.240)
RF Morse (.206)
2b Franklin (.226)
C Shoppach (.216)
SS Ryan (.222)

Now compare that to their stats against left-handers:
CF Chavez (.324)
RF Bay (.253)