• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Well what is left this year:

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This looks like it is most likely going to be the year the streak ends and that we look as average, young, injured and mismanaged as we are. What is left:

1. stomp our rivals across I64 to keep the chokehold in place

2. beat Miami and slap the "swagger" off that average teams place

3. play spoiler for one night in Lane against a very good but not unbeatable FSU team

4. keep the bowl streak going

5. try and gain revenge in Death Valley

6. watch our seniors finish off their careers

7. watch our young guys grow and develop

I have a feeling that this upcoming offseason may be very eventful, but there is still work to be done THIS year.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I just hope that whatever has to happen in order for changes to be made happens. If it's a 6-7 win season then so be it. I'm talking about MAJOR changes not moving people to administrative positions. I'm talking about getting rid of people entirely. Newsome and O'Cain. Newsome needs no explanation. O'Cain a great QB coach? Look at what's happened this year with LT. His supporting cast is not as strong as last years but that doesn't excuse him from playing like shit each and every week. It's not like he's been running for his life every play this year. I don't know how many people are involved with playcalling but if Stinespring is even 50% of it he needs to be demoted. Even if you're undermanned compared to previous years on offense, it's inexcusable to not go to your strengths. Outside plays are a strength but they aren't taking full advantage of them. They need to be the primary offense from the first snap. It's very frustrating to watch. I would like to know how Newsome and Stinespring would do if they had to find jobs elsewhere in college football. It would be extremely satisfying to watch them get turned down again and again by even much lesser football programs than VT. Stinespring has SOME value as a recruiter and a position coach of some type so I guess I would keep him around.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
UNC and Miami games will require some luck and an improvement in the team. Duke and UVA will not be easy ones. I see 4 more losses with automatic ones to Clemson and FSU. Sammy Watkins and/or Hopkins vs Exum...hmmm that should be interesting

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
46: thanks for reminding us that there are still things to look forward to doing. Priority should be:

1. develop young players, finish the season with some pride
2. Kick UVA's ass, to the point of embarrassment
3. Revenge on Clemson

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to beat FSU in Lane but part of me says A) No chance and B) I'd like to see them in the MNC kicking Bama's ass all over the field, representing the ACC

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling that this upcoming offseason may be very eventful, but there is still work to be done THIS year.

I would be interested to hear what you honestly think might/could happen 46 in regards to this. I am sure the VT fans are getting weary with the same ole' same ole'. I am sure BF is tired of the defense carrying the team most years. Alot of the posters on here (including myself) and Hokie fans everywhere to some degree want Newsome, O' Cain, and/or Stiney gone. While I don't think they are the WHOLE problem (some of it HAS to be put on the players) eventually something is just going to have to give. Do you think that Beamer would actually cut someone loose? With the power that he has at that school and with that program, is there a chance he could be forced into doing something like that? I don't think BF will leave..but he has to be getting tired of this.

I'm not going to hold my breath waiting on a major coaching change to take place.

For you VT historians that have better memory than I do...
Has Beams EVER cut a coach loose during his tenure??

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope that whatever has to happen in order for changes to be made happens. If it's a 6-7 win season then so be it. I'm talking about MAJOR changes not moving people to administrative positions. I'm talking about getting rid of people entirely. Newsome and O'Cain. Newsome needs no explanation. O'Cain a great QB coach? Look at what's happened this year with LT. His supporting cast is not as strong as last years but that doesn't excuse him from playing like shit each and every week. It's not like he's been running for his life every play this year. I don't know how many people are involved with playcalling but if Stinespring is even 50% of it he needs to be demoted. Even if you're undermanned compared to previous years on offense, it's inexcusable to not go to your strengths. Outside plays are a strength but they aren't taking full advantage of them. They need to be the primary offense from the first snap. It's very frustrating to watch. I would like to know how Newsome and Stinespring would do if they had to find jobs elsewhere in college football. It would be extremely satisfying to watch them get turned down again and again by even much lesser football programs than VT. Stinespring has SOME value as a recruiter and a position coach of some type so I guess I would keep him around.

This year, and as long as I've been a fan this year only, I take less issue with the play calling and more issue with the offensive philosophy and preparation. I think we really do need a new OC. Unfortunately we the fans don't have any say in this (if we did Stiney would have been gone a long time ago) so I will just sit back and watch.

I would be interested to hear what you honestly think might/could happen 46 in regards to this. I am sure the VT fans are getting weary with the same ole' same ole'. I am sure BF is tired of the defense carrying the team most years. Alot of the posters on here (including myself) and Hokie fans everywhere to some degree want Newsome, O' Cain, and/or Stiney gone. While I don't think they are the WHOLE problem (some of it HAS to be put on the players) eventually something is just going to have to give. Do you think that Beamer would actually cut someone loose? With the power that he has at that school and with that program, is there a chance he could be forced into doing something like that? I don't think BF will leave..but he has to be getting tired of this.

I'm not going to hold my breath waiting on a major coaching change to take place.

For you VT historians that have better memory than I do...
Has Beams EVER cut a coach loose during his tenure??

Players for every team make mistakes. If they make mistakes because they're stupid or have a bad attitude than they either shouldn't have been recruited or they should be sent on their merry way. I think we do a good job of this.

If they make mistakes because they aren't properly prepared then it is on the coaches. If you listen to our offensive coaches, for as long as I can remember our players haven't been able to execute to the level our coaches expect. So either we are recruiting players that aren't able to perform, or we aren't preparing them properly. It's a little of both, of course, but there is clearly a systematic problem.

Also, if I remember correctly Beamer's first staff at VT did not include our current coaches so unless they all retired he fired someone at some point.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The play calling is poor because the offense has a clear weakness in its interior blocking but they continue to have faith in them and run plays requiring the guards and center to do their job. Any play between the tackles should be off limits until the outside plays are run. Things may be more complicated than they look but it sure seems like the outside plays have been the key to the offense's success the last 2 games.

The whole execution thing is passing the blame to the players and as long as we keep hearing it, we know the coaches think they are doing the right thing and will continue to keep trying the same things. I've seen this crap for too many years and the only way for change to occur is to change the staff. If Beamer can't do it then he needs to go

jmcook

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although I also feel that the 10 win streak may be over at the end of this season, I still have confidence that the Hokies can turn it around. I'm on the west coast working at the moment so watching every game is difficult (a lot of ESPN Gamecast for me on Saturdays), but it seems like a stronger start in the first two quarters will benefit this team greatly. Also, to VTfoozball, I feel you should make your own thread where you post all your problems with the team and its staff instead of posting them in every thread on this forum.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm just telling it the way it is. There are plenty of problems with the team and I'm pointing them out. It starts at the top. I guess you are another Beamerite who thinks things are okay and are going to continue to be okay as long as they keep working and trying to execute better. Maybe there is a message board where delusion among fans is rampant just like it is among the coaches. That would be the place for you

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
systemic is a good word ... like i said in an earlier post ... watch bonner on the last PAT for cincy (even though we gave up the big TD, if we block and return the PAT, game is tied) ... he doesn't even make an attempt to make a play on the PAT. he stands straight up with his hands on his hips ... Saban would bench someone for shit like that. Actually, he might not bench him but Bonner have had zero ass left to walk back in the locker room. Some of the players on this team have NO killer instinct, no real drive to perform ... nothing

it's clear that offensive line problems are coaching. they've used the whole "talent" excuse for long enough. true that oline is hard to recruit and this and that ... but most of these lineman have had experience and at 2-3 years in the system to develop. it's ridiculous that our only two lineman who are performing well are seniors. a good d1 oline coach can recruit and develop kids who can contribute in a few years and be 2-3 year starters.

if things go south (losing 5+ games), i don't honestly see beamer keeping newsome .. he's been around for awhile but has the least amount of rope. he won't fire stinespring .. but i think he is at a crossroads and needs to make a choice. if he wants any chance of making another run before he retires, he needs a different offensive coordinator.

current coaching staff will continue to have success but not at the level they've had the past 10+ years. Everyone else in the ACC is starting to catch up.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
My thoughts on the coaches:

- Newsome: Our OL's werent great when he came in and they've went downhill from there. Its been obvious for years that our OL is the weak spot on this team and im more hopeful than ever that this is the year he is replaced. BTW he was a terrible hire to begin with IMO, 3 years OL experience (one of those with tackles only) shouldnt get you the OL job at a major university.

- Ocain: Although im not 100% sold on O'cain, Im not ready to can him either. I think Tyrod improved every year he was here and LT looked really good last year. I think the prob this year has to do with LT and to some degree the training he received in the off season.

- Stinespring: Im all for putting him back on the OL. He wasnt great there before but I think we could recruit the position better (if newsome wasnt the coach) than we could back then.

@ sparks: Beamer was forced to clean house back in the early days when he brought elmasion(sp?) in to be DC. There have also been several coaches 'resign' over the years that were most likely in a quit or be fired situation.

As far as what left to play for:

Pride. U know these guys dont want to be remembered for having the 'worst' season in the past ____ years.

As a fan, Im still all in. I pretty much knew this wasnt going to be a NC year and all our other goals are still obtainable. Im not naive enough to believe that we are good enough to beat anyone right now, but im still hopeful we get things turned around. A position swap and getting some guys back will be good for the D and I still feel like the O lives and dies by LT and he seemed to get better in the 2nd half at fed-ex.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed Hunz and 46. While this season has been lackluster in some regards, there is still a lot to play for as well. I would LOVE to go down to death valley and clown stop those fools. Likewise, I want that inner sandman excitement that Thursday night we play FSU. I want the FSU game to be reminiscent of that game circa 2006 we came out on a Thurs night and took Clemson behind the woodshed and just run the ball all down their throat.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
We all had our expectations too high. It happens to even the best teams (Texas 2010). Look at Arkansas right now! We just aren't very good at this point, but we've obviously got things to play for.

Accept that the 10 win streak is over. Accept that the offense isn't what we want. Accept that every play of every game is going to be a battle. We're still 1-0 in ACC play. The goal of ACC Championship Game is still possible, even as bad as we are. I don't know if we'll get there, but the team needs our support.

And remember...we did get shutout at home once upon a time against a mediocre Cincy team...

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thing to add. A football team is not a constant. Right now some key cogs are playing hurt (KF, AM, BT etc.) A few other guys are out with injuries (DW, TE), and a lot of young guys are playing. The team that played Saturday may be a lot different than the one playing in November. Teams evolve.

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I have stayed off the board this weekend as I digested everything that I saw and have heard from the fans. Virginia Tech has, and will always be, family so lets keep that in mind. Do things need to change, yes, coaches see it, players see it and recruits see it. Do we need to call out everyone that needs to be changed in our eyes, not so much. 46 nailed it above, we have a lot to see this year. I do not like losing, just like anyone else, but it has happened so time to move along and get up for the next game. We are one of the most consistent teams in CFB right now, and will continue to be in the future, but we are going through some pains that we, as fans, are not used to. This team will evolve from where we are now, will we win the ACC? who knows. Will we beat UNC on Saturday? Couldn't tell you. What I can tell you is that this weekend, and every game after, I will still be in my O&M rooting for my team, my family. Things do need to change, and they will at some time, but all we can do as fans is continue to cheer for the team we love. Hokie Nation needs the fans, the players and the coaches need us, so lets show our support. Family First!

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have stayed off the board this weekend as I digested everything that I saw and have heard from the fans. Virginia Tech has, and will always be, family so lets keep that in mind. Do things need to change, yes, coaches see it, players see it and recruits see it. Do we need to call out everyone that needs to be changed in our eyes, not so much. 46 nailed it above, we have a lot to see this year. I do not like losing, just like anyone else, but it has happened so time to move along and get up for the next game. We are one of the most consistent teams in CFB right now, and will continue to be in the future, but we are going through some pains that we, as fans, are not used to. This team will evolve from where we are now, will we win the ACC? who knows. Will we beat UNC on Saturday? Couldn't tell you. What I can tell you is that this weekend, and every game after, I will still be in my O&M rooting for my team, my family. Things do need to change, and they will at some time, but all we can do as fans is continue to cheer for the team we love. Hokie Nation needs the fans, the players and the coaches need us, so lets show our support. Family First!

well said....and most most definitely, to the bolded

My post in the other thread was made fresh off the loss, and to clarify, YES i do feel that drastic staff changes need to be made. yes, i think that if Beamer is unwilling to make necessary changes, I am ready for him to retire...BUT..that being said, i am not suggesting a Bowden type retirement, he has earned the right to stay on as long as he wants at VT, IMO, and i will always support him. I just hope he can see that his loyalty to his friends is possibly the main thing that will keep him from ever winning that NC that he wants so badly.

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have stayed off the board this weekend as I digested everything that I saw and have heard from the fans. Virginia Tech has, and will always be, family so lets keep that in mind. Do things need to change, yes, coaches see it, players see it and recruits see it.

Yeah, I was just thinking that recruiting could drive change as much as anything else. It's already been a motivator in 2 coaching changes (shane and cornell).

Last edited by a moderator:

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah, I was just thinking that recruiting could drive change as much as anything else. It's already been a motivator in 2 coaching changes (shane and cornell). If I were a recruit I would not want to play for this program. *A recruit with high-profile offers anyway*

*edit
Just as some board info, what is said on the board is read by recruits and their families, so keep that in mind fellas....

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just as some board info, what is said on the board is read by recruits and their families, so keep that in mind fellas....

I'll keep that in mind, but my opinion whouldn't have any influence on our recruits or their parents. I give them a lot more credit than that.