• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Well Well Well

tlakes20

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been a long while since I've posted here, I see that some of the CBS guys are still around. So glad baseball is back. It seems like the Reds are getting weighed down by lack of relief pitching which is strange because I thought it was going to be the starters that struggled this year because of losing Latos and Simon (who was probably a flash in the pan but a key contributor). The starting pitching besides Cueto, hasn't been amazing but hasn't been horrible either. They've got the Reds the lead or at least kept them in the game but the bullpen is completely putting a hamper on this team right now. The one guy that was horrible last year, Hoover, has really turned it around. The rest of the guys are just not really cutting. Kevin Gregg aka BP Fastball, has been just that a BP fastball pitcher. Encouraging thing is the offense has looked better than last year, I think that has a lot to do with a healthy Joey Votto. Hamilton is hitting great right now, not sure if he can keep up what he's done so far but if he can just get on base that's all is needed. Frazier looks like he will really step up this year and own that 3 spot which is awesome. I'm pretty pleased with the offense so far but not going to matter if your bullpen can't hold leads.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gregg had BP fastball numbers in Miami. 10 innings 9 HR. What was not to know?

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Latos and Simon are getting shelled in their initial outings with Miami and Detroit. They've combined to give up 12 runs in only 10 innings over three starts. The trades were payroll decisions cutting over $13M and were perceived to be low value return trades by Reds' fans. After their first combined three starts it's Marlins' and Tigers' fans that are probably feeling hosed.

The Reds' DFA of Corcino yesteday may have more to do with his attitude than anything else. He pitched poorly since being optioned out of ST camp and only went two innings in his first start. I'm sure it is frustrating being optioned when in your mind you're ready for the next level. But it's all part of playing professional baseball. Getting optioned should motivate a player to work harder, not exhibit a poor attitude and corresponding performance.

The Reds are depending on what is broke to become fixed with their bullpen. The bullpen is what everyone thought it was. Saying it's a problem is a captain obvious type statement from all of us. The guys in this pen are typical of the MLB retreads you see bouncing around the league year to year, the bigger problem is they get two or more year deals in Cincinnati.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt, the discount bullpen is showing it's true value. Gregg doesn't have the velocity for his repertoire, which wasn't great before age and injury. He's finished as a MLB pitcher IMO, the Reds probably feel they need to give him every opportunity to prove they aren't fools by signing him. Honestly, I though Hoover should have been sent down or waivers last year, but stuck the entire season- he is younger and has a MLB fastball that Gregg doesn't on his side though, and has pitched ok this year so far.

Location, location, location is everything wrong with most other Reds blowpenners. Too frequent walks in front of homers evidence this. Badenhop has made a living getting groundballs, but isn't equipped to handle too many base loaded no out appearences, as he had last night. Jumbo and Parra have to come in throwing strikes, not walking leadoff hitters. Cingrani can't be pitch efficient with the 1 pitch he can throw often enough. He isn't fooling any good hitters, and without a good breaking ball, isn't qualified as a LOOGY.

I'm hopefull of continued results from the starting rotation, but an reminded that Leake is a control dependant high contact guy best served at the back, not the front of the rotation. Marquis, like Gregg, is on borrowed time from a tools perspective. Desclafani is a rookie. Bailey has top of the rotation stuff, but is questionable after injury. There are no lefty SP's in the rotation, or effective long relievers in the pen. Cueto and Leake are lame duck free agents in all liklihood. All these things point to exposing the bullpen immediately, and the entire pitching staff eventually, unfortunately. It's a real problem only development of current assets can address-and that may take a while.

The good news is, pitching isn't great on many teams, and the Reds offense appears to be able to keep their chances alive most games. They can't afford key hitters to go absent long though.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a game when a team is scoring a lot of runs, it pays to figure that 2nd base with less than 2 out is better than being out at 3rd base. It is a question of time before Hoover and Chappy spring a leak. After that, we had better hope for shutouts.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bryan Price excuse of looking for guys to define their roles has gotten old. They all have a role....be ready to get three outs when called upon. The problem isn't identifying roles, it's identifying 6 other relievers from the organizational depth chart that can actually get somebody out.

The only current member of the bullpen with a plus out pitch is Chapman. None of the rest have a devastating slider or splitter or even a plus fastball. Badenhop is a sinker baller that teams hit a lot of ground balls up the middle for hits on. Hoover, Cingrani, and slow poke Gregg live and die with hitters swinging at fastballs out of the strike zone. Jumbo doesn't know where the ball is going until the batter hits it into the seats. Manny Parra.....yeah!!

None of these bums are under guaranteed contracts next year and hopefully aren't back. Most of them will likely be here for the remainder of the season, so I guess Price has plenty of time to figure out their roles before he gets fired.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No kidding about that "roles" crap. That was the story 2 years ago with Dusty when Marshall got hurt ... about all these guys pitching outside their "roles." Price came across with a different song and dance. Now he keeps sending these guys out expecting different results. I would be OK winning a pennant with luck but I have real serious reservations about whether that's possible.

tlakes20

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scary thought to think about not having Cueto after this year. Hope they can work something out with him, would hate to see him leave. IMO Chapman will get top dollar somewhere else. I know he has insane value and is probably the most unhittable pitcher when he's on, but I just can't see the Reds outbidding those bigger clubs. Chapman will go to whoever offers him the most, I would to, just can't see the Reds being able to afford him. It will be interesting to see what happens at the trade deadline, it could be a huge selling year or buying year depending on where this team sits in July. Like I said though, I see an 81-81 team and no better, but possibly worse.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Popups and strikeouts ... it's one way to generate an offense. Arrieta is not that good.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another base running blunder. This is a bad base running team. Everyone always blames the base coaches and sometimes it's justified....but the outs at third last night and Bruce tonight are on the players.

On a positive note... nice job from Bruce hitting the other way to drive home a run. That would make a huge difference in his game if he could just do it once or twice a week.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No offense, but Jay Bruce has the baserunning IQ of a guy that has earned his living touching them all after a HR. He might hit .250 going oppage with the ball on a tee, but he doesnt try often. He looks at belt high fastballs and swings at 0-2 breaking balls a foot inside. He's an uppercut swingaholic with the focus of a gnat. He's too old and makes too much money to coach, all you can do is put hitters around him and let the pitcher think himself forced to throw hittable cheese. When that happens, he hits more, and harms them less on the bases. Same is true with a lot of Reds.

You know how many old BRM bench jockeys managed ? Lots. High baseball IQ and winning isn't a coincidence. There are no future managers on this team.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose all teams have tootblans, but it hurts worse when a team is on the cusp of being a contender. Every bad break is compounded by every bonehead play.

tlakes20

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone should hire Kevin Gregg as their pitcher for the home run derby because they would win it by a mile. What the hell the dude sucks.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gregg gave up 10 runs in 9 innings last year ... and 11 hits.
Why did anybody think he was going to be better?
Price is being a complete idiot. Chapman was going to be able to pitch more than 1 inning? Really?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best damned lefthander in team history and Price is too damned stupid to use him.

Geez if we only had Sean Marshall.

tlakes20

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like some sanity is coming in.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One would hope that when Bailey is eligible, that will mean Gregg has pitched his last for the Reds.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How in the world is Kevin Gregg still on this roster?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never thought I'd say, I wish we had Logan Ondrusek.

tlakes20

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nonetheless, we have a positive DeSclefani looked pretty good, excuse my spelling if that's right or not. Can we just ship off Gregg for a couple baseball bats though if we can even get that?