• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Well At Least The Starting Pitching Has Been Very Good So Far

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JohnU, on the Cardinals broadcast they mention that Ludy got a huge ovation and Phillips received similar noise level to a different tone. That was about it though.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, the reason BP gets plunked by the Pirates and whomever else might want to retaliate against the Reds is simply due to rubbing teams the wrong way with "swag" or whatever else you might want to call his on field demeanor. Cincinnati fans love "datdude", the rest of the league.... I'm not so sure.

In regards to the BP/ Molina topic, I don't think it's an issue between the lines as those two have moved on. It's the media types that don't have anything original to add that try and push it to the forefront.

Some events like that never die with some fans. I know if you are talking to 1970's Reds' fans and the name Bud Harrelson comes up, you know you're going to hear the same stories you've heard a thousand times.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, the reason BP gets plunked by the Pirates and whomever else might want to retaliate against the Reds is simply due to rubbing teams the wrong way with "swag" or whatever else you might want to call his on field demeanor. Cincinnati fans love "datdude", the rest of the league.... I'm not so sure.

In regards to the BP/ Molina topic, I don't think it's an issue between the lines as those two have moved on. It's the media types that don't have anything original to add that try and push it to the forefront.

Some events like that never die with some fans. I know if you are talking to 1970's Reds' fans and the name Bud Harrelson comes up, you know you're going to hear the same stories you've heard a thousand times.

I recall Phillips actually complaining about "racist shit" after being bonked by one of the Parrots hurlers, who immediately went into some sort of emotional shock that anybody could possibly CONCEIVE that the only black guy on the Reds who was being targeted was being hit because of swagger.

Having observed all that process, and realizing that Phillips wasn't living in the back of a coast-to-coast semi trailer, I'd guess he had a point. I did manage to read a lot of sports commentary about those HBPs, and the Pittsburgh news media actually advocated throwing at Phillips, even though he wasn't even playing in that series. I wrote to the Pittsburgh newspaper and asked why their reporter had not gotten a comment from the Reds and he ignored me.

Still, the Parrots faithful didn't say anything about plunking Votto or Bruce or Hanigan or Ludwick. Whatever quacks like a duck, IMO.

As well, I think Chapman caught on and decided maybe to defend BP a little bit. Not saying he did, but I connected some dots.

It also seems odd that the other 28 teams in MLB aren't throwing at Phillips.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's called a purpose pitch.

If you're sending a message, who you wanna send it to ?
Pitchers don't hit pitchers because they don't want hit themselves. So, maybe they hit the guy always shooting his mouth off, and that would be BP. I don't buy into anyone hitting someone because their black or Chinese or Jewish. They usually don't hit a guy that is going to run out and body slam the guy that hit them though. Not advocating violence, but at some point BP either needs to keep his mouth shut or physically back up his swag. Actually, IMO, swag has developed into a term for verbalizing braggadosia you can't back up with action...and no one respects that.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And...the media are shit stirrers. In that regard, they're a little like the guy that sets a fire so he can ring the alarm and tell the first story about it, without regard for the possibility other innocent people might be harmed.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brawls attract attention which when the two teams play each other again, They fill the ball parks with fans anticipating another fight. bottom line is they make money.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. I've always heard and agree, bad blood makes better baseball. I sort of agree...short of headhunting or a brawl. Never know what's gonna happen in those cases, but rarely worth the risk. Personally,if it comes to it, I prescribe the "beat your ass in the privacy of the visitors clubhouse after the game" to running halfway to the mound before getting tackled, suspended and possibly getting someone else injured in the pileup.

There are other methods. Bunting to a pitcher near the path of the runner for instance...or next time he's squared to bunt, aim for the knob of the bat with a 95 mph inside heater. Throwing Adam's apple high on the runner to 2b on their next DP opportunity...I've heard of a few tricks in the visiting locker room that send a message. Managers can usually talk and resolve most issues, but usually resort to posturing or ignoring, or even stoking the fire for motivation.

The best revenge is to say nothing and beat them.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leave it to Fox to queue up the fight.

WHAT THE FUK

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the home cooking on FSOhio better.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Parra has done nice work too. I like how he sets up lefty hitters.
High and tight, then a curve ball, another one on the belt. He seems to have good command.
A year ago, I would have jettisoned Parra. Shows what I know.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Parra...was a career dissapointment...until last year, mid season.

Remember Jered Burton ? Hell, Bill Bray looked good for a minute.

Timing, is everything.

I wouldn't want to gamble a two year deal on Manny Parra, unless it was for MLB minimum with performance bonuses, and he wasn't going to be in a season long high need impact type role. I've seen frogs jump a long way, but I'm not betting they can get Michael Jordan hang time. I hope Parra has it figured out, but I'm skeptical it will last, especially against righty hitters. He may do SS well as Marshall though.By definition, a guy who's job it is to pitch to the 7-8-9 hitters in the 7th inning and wind up make it an exiting inning half the time, is a short term commodity.

WvuDieHard

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,954.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Parra has figured it out and will be a viable and important cog through out the rest of the season. Right now, he is the man in the bullpen with Hoover looking like a practice pitcher.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoover will be OK. Most short relievers have flat spots in their game.
What annoyed me about it was that he gave up after the Mets loaded the bases.
Ike Davis should not beat anybody.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nor should Bucky Dent or Bill Mazeroski.

It still happens.

It doesn't get any easier...David Price is pitching tonite.