• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Welcome back Phillip Dorsett. Goodbye to two UDFA's

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dorsett re-signed. I can relax now as Quinton Newsome was officially signed.

Looks like Mingo's dream of Constintinou beating out Riley Dixon is not happening as he and Washington State WR Lincoln Victor were both released today. Victor had a great SR year at Washington State but apparently a bad rookie camp. Dorsett is back.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jets released a familiar name today. Former Broncos 7th rd pick Marquis Spencer to make room for some camp workout guys who signed today.

Lions also signed WR Kaden Davis who was in our camp two years ago.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dorsett re-signed. I can relax now as Quinton Newsome was officially signed.

Looks like Mingo's dream of Constintinou beating out Riley Dixon is not happening as he and Washington State WR Lincoln Victor were both released today. Victor had a great SR year at Washington State but apparently a bad rookie camp. Dorsett is back.
I jinxed him in just a matter of hours.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I jinxed him in just a matter of hours.

You never know. Teams have an interesting way of bringing undrafted cuts back as roster room clears closer to camp.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can’t say I’m all that excited about bringing Dorsett back. I’d rather give a young guy a shot to prove (or disprove) himself.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can’t say I’m all that excited about bringing Dorsett back. I’d rather give a young guy a shot to prove (or disprove) himself.

Agree. I won't be surprised if he doesn't make it to PS still as we shuffle around the roster a bit up to that point. Dorsett just has no upside at this point and we have enough vets we can lean on at WR.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. I won't be surprised if he doesn't make it to PS still as we shuffle around the roster a bit up to that point. Dorsett just has no upside at this point and we have enough vets we can lean on at WR.
The one reason I can think of keeping a declining vet is for leadership. I don’t know Dorsett, but haven’t ever heard anything about him being a strong leader.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one reason I can think of keeping a declining vet is for leadership. I don’t know Dorsett, but haven’t ever heard anything about him being a strong leader.

Yep. We let him sit on the PS all last year as insurance when we didn't have a real deep WR core after the Patrick and Virgil injuries. He doesn't make as much sense this year.

My thought with the roster moves recently is this.

Needed to cut two players so that we could sign the undrafted rookies we were bringing into camp. Dorsett was one of those cuts because he doesn't go through waivers and we don't care if he ends up in contact with another team and decides to go another route. However, we tell Dorsett. "Hey, we have to cut two players to get our undrafted guys in rookie camp, we will see what we have and then most likely cut someone from rookie camp who doesn't catch our eye and bring you back on since you're a vet that doesn't need to go through waivers. Dorsett, "ok cool". We didn't sign Newsome right away because he is recovering from shoulder surgery, thus could not participate in rookie camp. Saving us a cut before rookie camp.

We got a look in camp. The P didn't impress he is one cut, Lincoln Victor struggled so yeah now we bring back Dorsett and officially sign Newsome who couldn't participate in camp so we got a look at all the guys we signed. Likely couldn't just invite a guy like Victor or the Constinau to camp because they had other offers so we had to actually sign them otherwise we don't get a look at them in camp. Victor was being signed either way but the P initially was invited to camp and then signed a day later (likely because he had another offer that would have prevented us from getting a look had we not signed him for camp.

Long story short, Dorsett was likely cut knowing we would sign him back as a team always makes a cut or two after rookie camp based off what they see in the undrafted guys. I don't think I ever remember a season where an undrafted guy wasn't cut after rookie camp. At the same time I don't think Dorsett is in the plans this year. It may be that some teams cuts some undrafted rookie we wanted to sign but didn't sign and he becomes available and we want to give him a look. Much like Nick Williams last year, Rojosterman Farris the year before. Or one of the guys from camp impressed enough to down the line get another look on the 90 man. There will be a lot of little roster jacking around from now until PS but nothing major. Either way, I don't think Dorsett is going to make it this year. Gonna be hard enough to decide which of these WR's to cut and hope some make it to the PS. Lost in all the WR movement is Jalen Virgil right now. Humphrey strikes me as a guy that Payton is going to want to once again start on the PS and have the ability to bring him up and down when needed. Sills maybe too. I think Bandy and Dorsett won't be around come season time but we will see. If a young WR we like is cut I think Dorsett may not even make it to the PS roster.

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He might be a guy who just knows the system well and can help the young guys. If they pick it up quick Id expect he's gone barring injuries.