• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 15: MNF: Panthers @ Redskins

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peter Hailey

Now, while Cam Newton has faced Washington just thrice so far in his NFL career, he's still well on his way to gaining a reputation as a guy who burns the Burgundy and Gold. So before he matches up with them for a fourth time this Monday night, it's a good time to review his previous track record against the Redskins.

Some stats:

• Since he was drafted by the Panthers in the 2011 draft, the former No. 1 overall pick is 3-0 vs. the 'Skins. In those contests (which took place in 2011, 2012 and last season, 2015), Carolina has won by 13, eight and 28 points.
  • As a passer, he's completed 52 of 80 passes (good for a 65 percent completion rate, which is six-plus ticks higher than his career rate), 703 yards (an average of 234 per week) and seven touchdowns (with five coming in the blowout a year ago). He's never finished with a QB rating below 100 when throwing on the Redskins' defense.
  • Of course, Newton doesn't just do damage through the air. He's also rushed for a pair of six-pointers, and overall, has 22 carries for 112 yards in the referenced games.
  • For a guy who can sometimes be prone to turnovers, that issue isn't one when the Redskins are his opponent. The sixth-year pro has yet to throw a pick or fumble against the team.
The 2016 Panthers are just 5-8, but shouldn't be taken lightly, especially by a franchise desperate to make the playoffs for a second consecutive season. On top of that, though it's only three games, Newton has shown to be very comfortable versus Washington, and will have another chance to add to those numbers on a national stage.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peter Hailey

Now, while Cam Newton has faced Washington just thrice so far in his NFL career, he's still well on his way to gaining a reputation as a guy who burns the Burgundy and Gold. So before he matches up with them for a fourth time this Monday night, it's a good time to review his previous track record against the Redskins.

Some stats:

• Since he was drafted by the Panthers in the 2011 draft, the former No. 1 overall pick is 3-0 vs. the 'Skins. In those contests (which took place in 2011, 2012 and last season, 2015), Carolina has won by 13, eight and 28 points.
  • As a passer, he's completed 52 of 80 passes (good for a 65 percent completion rate, which is six-plus ticks higher than his career rate), 703 yards (an average of 234 per week) and seven touchdowns (with five coming in the blowout a year ago). He's never finished with a QB rating below 100 when throwing on the Redskins' defense.
  • Of course, Newton doesn't just do damage through the air. He's also rushed for a pair of six-pointers, and overall, has 22 carries for 112 yards in the referenced games.
  • For a guy who can sometimes be prone to turnovers, that issue isn't one when the Redskins are his opponent. The sixth-year pro has yet to throw a pick or fumble against the team.
The 2016 Panthers are just 5-8, but shouldn't be taken lightly, especially by a franchise desperate to make the playoffs for a second consecutive season. On top of that, though it's only three games, Newton has shown to be very comfortable versus Washington, and will have another chance to add to those numbers on a national stage.

If there is ever a game where Barry needs to reach down, ensure he has a pair, and turn the dogs loose

That would be Monday night.

IM a huge fan of Kelvin Benjamin, but he is still trying to regain his form after a blown out knee. Devin Funchess could present coverage problems.. but I think we have the secondary to cover them both.

Stop Cam, stop Carolina....

Play scared, and he will eat us alive.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got to keep Cam in the pocket. Put and keep 8 in the box. Play your damn gaps. Put your corners on an island with a deep safety protecting Ginn.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like us at all this week. Sure wish we had caught Carolina earlier in the year, they are playing very well now. And it's on Monday Night. What happened on a MNF game in 1997 should have no bearing on this game but until it changes I have no reason to believe it's changing.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like us at all this week. Sure wish we had caught Carolina earlier in the year, they are playing very well now. And it's on Monday Night. What happened on a MNF game in 1997 should have no bearing on this game but until it changes I have no reason to believe it's changing.

Well - if they don't win games like this then they don't belong in the playoffs. Sounds kind of like the situation going against the Eagles last season where they locked up the playoff spot. Time for certain folks to step up.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well - if they don't win games like this then they don't belong in the playoffs. Sounds kind of like the situation going against the Eagles last season where they locked up the playoff spot. Time for certain folks to step up.

Agree but Carolina is much better than the Eagles were despite the record.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Eagles may be a better team than Carolina; however, Carolina is a terrible match up for us. They have a good running game, a mobile QB, and we have a defense that plays without discipline.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am guessing that is what the Patriots think .... "holy crap that team we are playing this weeks is too tough."

You have to play the hand that is dealt you, you either stay in the game or fold.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am guessing that is what the Patriots think .... "holy crap that team we are playing this weeks is too tough."

You have to play the hand that is dealt you, you either stay in the game or fold.

Yep - step up or start preparing for next season. Carolina is still 5-8 so they are certainly beatable. It is up to the Redskins. Look at the Packers - they could have folded up & their D is worse than the Redskins. They have hung in there & now have a shot. Enough with the MNF stuff. They lost to the Steelers this season on MNF because they sucked. Play a decent game & they have a better than average chance. HTTR

reptec101

warPAINt nation
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This game should be labeled "The Norman Show" because they are gonna throw his way early and often. They have nothing else to play for but than to embarrass Norman. At this point if they could light him up for 100+ yards it would make their season. No playoffs,,firings... disappointing season,,cuts.., light up Norman... priceless.

This is a must win on so many levels. If Tampa wins and we lose the playoffs are over. Tampa would have to lose last two while we won last two. Not to mention GB and Vikes... Yep,, we lose were toast

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This game should be labeled "The Norman Show" because they are gonna throw his way early and often. They have nothing else to play for but than to embarrass Norman. At this point if they could light him up for 100+ yards it would make their season. No playoffs,,firings... disappointing season,,cuts.., light up Norman... priceless.

This is a must win on so many levels. If Tampa wins and we lose the playoffs are over. Tampa would have to lose last two while we won last two. Not to mention GB and Vikes... Yep,, we lose were toast

Again - I truly hope that the Panthers employ this strategy since that would involve targeting one of the few strengths of the Redskins defense. However - as JY pointed out - this is doubtful. Why go after Norman when you can target other DBs who get burned constantly? Better yet - why pass when you can run on the Redskins?

The whole "Beat Norman" concept sounds like something more for the Panthers fans than their coaches or players. The Panthers mgmt. were the ones who didn't want him - not the coaches or the players, and the players can certainly understand someone leaving for a better payday.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again - I truly hope that the Panthers employ this strategy since that would involve targeting one of the few strengths of the Redskins defense. However - as JY pointed out - this is doubtful. Why go after Norman when you can target other DBs who get burned constantly? Better yet - why pass when you can run on the Redskins?

The whole "Beat Norman" concept sounds like something more for the Panthers fans than their coaches or players. The Panthers mgmt. were the ones who didn't want him - not the coaches or the players, and the players can certainly understand someone leaving for a better payday.
Seriously. Rivera is on the hot seat. Think he isn't playing to win? He couldn't care less about Norman. In fact, he didn't want to lose him.

reptec101

warPAINt nation
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. They're things called audibles in the NFL.. Cam is the one in control. Remember,, they once got into a shoving match,, don't think they really care for each other. Cam is an "all about me" type of guy.. Plus, they wanna show those who care that they didn't need him. These guys are 5 and 8 coming off a SB appearance and the only thing that's really missing from that team is Norman.

Just watch... They're goin after him win or lose. Though as SoCalWizFan suggested that's actually the strength of our team. Remember,, people are people... Cam want's to come out looking the best here. Just my take.

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
friday presser

December 17, 2016

Head Coach Jay Gruden

On the injury report:

“[Su’a] Cravens will be out – upper arm, illness. Doubtful will be [Will] Compton, knee. Questionable: [Chris] Baker, ankle; [Will] Blackmon, concussion, thumb; [Mack] Brown, concussion; [Ryan] Kerrigan, knee; [Shawn] Lauvao, groin; [Spencer] Long, concussion; [Ty] Nsekhe, ankle; [Jordan] Reed, shoulder; and [Martrell] Spaight, shoulder; and [John] Sullivan, illness.”

On if LB Will Compton practiced today:

“No. Did not participate today.”

On if he thinks Compton could play Monday:

“There’s still a flicker of hope there. A flicker of hope.”

On if he has hope Su’a Cravens could play next week:

“Yes, yes we do. But clearly he’s not ready this week. It’s just a matter of how quickly that thing heals.”

On if TE Jordan Reed will be available to play more than he did last week:

“I hope so. We’ll see how he’s doing.”

On if there is a question of Cravens’ durability and if it could lead to a position change:

“That’s a good question. I think if we were to make a position switch, it would be because we think he would be better at that position – not be because of the injuries. I think there’s fluky-type things. This thing is just a little bicep bruise or whatever you want to call it. We’re not concerned about his longevity whatsoever, but if we did make that switch, it would be because we think he would be really good at the other position.”

On how the preparation was this week:

“It was good. I was able to add some reps on Thursday and Friday, and today we had a really good day. So I think we got the necessary work out of them. We still had quite a few walkthroughs to help them out – especially for all of the things Carolina does offensively and defensively. So we got a lot of good work in, more so than last week because we had more healthy bodies.”

On who will play in Cravens’ role:

“Obviously [Martrell] Spaight and [Mason] Foster will get the majority of the work and then Terence [Garvin] is ready to roll. And Nick Moody had a good week and he’s picked up the defense extremely well. So we have those four linebackers and then hopefully Compton maybe, who knows, but if Compton can’t go, we have those four.”

On if Carolina’s defense looks similar to last year:

“Yeah, they have some of the same coverages that are carrying over from last year. They just have different people doing it, you know? In the secondary obviously, they have three new secondary people. Roman Harper was back there last year, obviously Josh [Norman] and they have two new corners and a new safety, so I think the longer they’ve play together, the better they’ve got, so they’re able to implement more stuff also. They’re playing pretty well, I think. I think they’re a darn good defense.”

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. They're things called audibles in the NFL.. Cam is the one in control. Remember,, they once got into a shoving match,, don't think they really care for each other. Cam is an "all about me" type of guy.. Plus, they wanna show those who care that they didn't need him. These guys are 5 and 8 coming off a SB appearance and the only thing that's really missing from that team is Norman.

Just watch... They're goin after him win or lose. Though as SoCalWizFan suggested that's actually the strength of our team. Remember,, people are people... Cam want's to come out looking the best here. Just my take.
I think you need to do a bit more research. While they did get into a fracas in practice, they are actually friends. They work out together in the off season and josh plays in a regular offseason pickup bball game with Cam and his cousins. Cam was vocal about his dismay with letting josh go. To think that cam would audible out of a called play for the sole purpose of challenging Josh is just a bit to Hollywood. You think the coaching staff might have issues with that? They already benched him for not wearing a tie. Cam is about Cam, and what he wants at this point in this season is stats, not bragging rights. He is going to go where it makes sense, and that's not at josh. Especially with all of the other ripe targets in our defense. Now what you might see is if cam breaks free on a run to Josh's side and it's up to josh to bring him down, cam may just try and run him over.

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Panthers going after Norman just to go after Norman makes zero sense. The panthers running the ball up the gut 8 times in a row, then calling playaction to whomever Breeland is covering makes a lot more sense.

The Panthers aren't good. Then again, the redskins defense isn't good either.

The redskins offense is quite good.

What the redskins should do is pass to set up the run. Quick hits to the outside, slants to the middle, drags, etc.
Then double moves.
Then running game.
Then play action.

Game over.