• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Weddle to Ravens

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: Eric Weddle will sign with the Ravens
Posted by Mike Florio on March 14, 2016, 1:37 PM EDT
wzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptlkota0y2i5mtzhzwrlntrjmmy5yzdimdq2y2vhymu5-e1430926974328.jpeGetty Images
When it comes to free agents, the Ravens like them old and still productive.

Days after adding 35-year-old tight endBenjamin Watson, the Ravens reportedly will be signing former Chargers safety Eric Weddle.

Reports Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune, Weddle will be a Raven.

Per multiple reports, it’s a four-year, $26 million deal, with $13 million paid out in the first two years. That’s $6.5 million annually for Weddle.

That compares favorably to the five-year, $36 million contract signed by Jaguars safety Tashaun Gipson last week. He’ll also get $13 million in the first two years, with an average of $7.2 million.

The decision represents a quick whittling of the four options Weddle had on the table, given the news that he had a quartet of opportunities and that he planned to reduce the field to two without a counteroffer before negotiating with the finalists and picking a new team.

Weddle, 30, spent nine years with the Chargers before becoming a free agent last week.

Report: Eric Weddle will sign with the Ravens

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe it's just me but I'm good with Weddle in Baltimore
Not a bad call. Probably more a 2 year band aid than long term solution. The contract is for 4 years, I'm betting he won't be a $6.5 year player at 35 in year 4

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 year deal for a 35 year old safety? Good luck with that. Only first two guaranteed though, so Ravens should be ok.

I'm good with passing on him. Let's get a CB in here and move Jones to Safety.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 years for $13M??? Would look pretty damn good in our secondary IMO. Basically cutting Carr more than covers that year 1. I don't know about everyone else, but I know which one I'd rather have on the team...

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 years for $13M??? Would look pretty damn good in our secondary IMO. Basically cutting Carr more than covers that year 1. I don't know about everyone else, but I know which one I'd rather have on the team...
LOL...13M guaranteed with 9M in year one and he's now a marginal player with baggage in my not so humble opinion. If Carr ends up on this roster, you can bet it's at 5M.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL...13M guaranteed with 9M in year one and he's now a marginal player with baggage in my not so humble opinion. If Carr ends up on this roster, you can bet it's at 5M.
I don't think he is a marginal player at all. A few years from now? Sure, I'll go with that, but not this year. Good player and huge need. Seems a perfect fit and cutting Carr makes it easy...

I'm not sure what baggage you are referring to, but I really haven't kept up on him so I'm guessing he did something stupid that I can't recall or the field? I know he had issues with SD but seemed that was more them basically just screwing him over if I recall.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Safety is not a priority to jerry. Never has never will. I give up on it lol

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the kind of money Weddle is getting in the first 2 years, would it really have been a bad idea to cut Church, and pay the 2.25 million difference, and have a better football player? Weddle, while not the player he was 3-4 years ago, is still a world better than Church. This was a missed opportunity. He was a bit cheaper than I thought he would be.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Safety is not a priority to jerry. Never has never will. I give up on it lol
Totally agree. We all know how big the need is at safety for this team and how long it has been a huge need. Yet over and over when we have an opportunity to do something about it, we do nothing or do the wrong thing.

Weddle is pretty much the perfect fit for this team since bringing in a guy like Berry or Kam was never really more than a pipe dream. He can play either safety spot and provide some leadership back there too. A deal that becomes cuttable after two years for an aging vet that is still very good? I wonder how close we were to Balt and if we were in the running or not. This was a layup that we missed IMO.

Luckily there is no one player that is irreplaceable whether on your team or a FA. As long as we upgrade the defense somewhere we will be OK. A pass rush will help our crappy coverage and improving our coverage talent will help as well - personally I think we need both. If we go defense a few times early then that is ultimately better than bringing in FA's. My concern is we don't help ourselves via free agency and then end up going offense in the draft. If you do a good job at filling your holes in FA, then it allows you to draft as you should and just take the best player available. In the long run that strategy always pays off if you pick the right guys...

tylerTX88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree. We all know how big the need is at safety for this team and how long it has been a huge need. Yet over and over when we have an opportunity to do something about it, we do nothing or do the wrong thing

Luckily there is no one player that is irreplaceable whether on your team or a FA. As long as we upgrade the defense somewhere we will be OK. A pass rush will help our crappy coverage and improving our coverage talent will help as well - personally I think we need both. If we go defense a few times early then that is ultimately better than bringing in FA's. My concern is we don't help ourselves via free agency and then end up going offense in the draft. If you do a good job at filling your holes in FA, then it allows you to draft as you should and just take the best player available. In the long run that strategy always pays off if you pick the right guys...
Yea but Jerry knows all about that.......oh who am I kidding? Never mind.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,240.11
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Raiders were very interested also and I'm happy with this decision....we can get somebody else in FA or draft a safety.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jerruh must still think Wilcox and church are good players. when I watch them I see players that would struggle to find work if they were cut today.