• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

We should have kept Scherzer

Orange602

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scherzer is a perfect example of why this organization needs to stop trading away its top prospects early in their development.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently nobody bothers to look at his numbers before posting this drivel. One good season & everyone becomes a revisionist. Ian Kennedy was a better pitcher 2010-2012. You don't even need to adjust for th e park to see this.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, with all the current bitching going on about KT needing to go out and add ace, you guys are complaining about Cargo? Really? A bunch of hypocrites.

"Oh we need an ace" "Lets trade X,Y, & Z for Lee or Price"

Meanwhile, 5 years after a trade for an ace, the ace has been traded & one of X, Y, & Z has become a a stud. And the bitching about trading top prospects continues...

Orange602

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I pretty much always complain when this team trades away its prospects. I just don't think that it's smart to deal away top minor league talent in their early twenties. I honestly don't care if this team trades for an ace this season because I think that it will cost them too many top prospects.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently nobody bothers to look at his numbers before posting this drivel. One good season & everyone becomes a revisionist. Ian Kennedy was a better pitcher 2010-2012. You don't even need to adjust for th e park to see this.

I agree, but the gap between the two over that span isn't very big IMO. Kennedy has pitched around better defenses than Scherzer.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than one fluke season Kennedy has done nothing for us. I always knew Scherzer would be better in the long run. Look how Kennedy is doing for us (wait hes not with us) compared to how Scherzer is doing for Detroit.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's pretty clear AZ lost out in this trade. I used to point to the 21-4 season Kennedy had where we made the playoffs, but I'm pretty sure we'd have made the playoffs this year with Scherzer taking his rotation spot instead of him (and possibly other years).

Their stats in the 4 years since the trade aren't vastly different (I think Scherzer's are still better), but that's in a vaccuum. Scherzer is pitching in the AL.

The front office felt Scherzer was an injury concern due to his delivery. They've been proven wrong about that (add it to the list).

Jarrod Parker just put in his second straight solid year in Oakland.

When are they trading Patrick Corbin?

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, with all the current bitching going on about KT needing to go out and add ace, you guys are complaining about Cargo? Really? A bunch of hypocrites.

"Oh we need an ace" "Lets trade X,Y, & Z for Lee or Price"

Meanwhile, 5 years after a trade for an ace, the ace has been traded & one of X, Y, & Z has become a a stud. And the bitching about trading top prospects continues...

I never even wanted to trade for Haren and I've always liked Cargo even back when he wasn't that highly regarded. I thought the same thing about Carlos Quentin when we traded him but I was wrong about him obviously... I'm not a hypocrite, I was actually kind of upset and thought we overpaid for Haren at the time (was really high on Anderson and Cargo)

David Price would be worth overpaying for if we stuck with him, gave him an extension and didn't give up Bradley for him. He's young and proven... not too many guys like him out on the market. But if you're content with another fucking Miley-Cahill-McCarthy-Bradley-Corbin-Delgado bullshit rotation then be my guest.

As fans we have every right to bitch and complain about our GM fucking our team up. Even if it's hindsight, it doesn't matter. A bad trade is a bad trade. One guy is pitching in the ALCS while another one's not even on his original team anymore sucking it up in San Diego. You can't honestly convince yourself you'd take 2010-2012 Kennedy over 2010- god knows when Scherzer. He's still got plenty more years of dominance left in him... while Kennedy will struggle to stay in an MLB rotation for years to come. 2011 was a FLUKE.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually didn't mind the Parker-Cahill swap at the time but that one's not looking great either. Ryan Cook has had back to back dominant years in the bullpen and Parker has been pretty effective in a tough division to pitch in for 2 straight years while Cahill has looked like he's nothing more than a 4/5 starter.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and one last thing... I NEVER wanted to trade Scherzer. I just want to make that clear. I was furious when I found out about the trade. His numbers in his rookie year with us were very solid and his strikeout rate was there along with velocity. You could tell he had all the makings of a future ace. But no. We fucking trade him for NO reason other than to add a little bit of depth to the rotation and look how that worked out.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than one fluke season Kennedy has done nothing for us. I always knew Scherzer would be better in the long run. Look how Kennedy is doing for us (wait hes not with us) compared to how Scherzer is doing for Detroit.

Not true. Kennedy was good in 2010 (3.80 ERA, 111 ERA+, 1.20 WHIP, 2.40 K/BB, 2.9 WAR in 194 IP). He was league average in 2012, but he did finish 10th in the NL in IP.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not true. Kennedy was good in 2010 (3.80 ERA, 111 ERA+, 1.20 WHIP, 2.40 K/BB, 2.9 WAR in 194 IP). He was league average in 2012, but he did finish 10th in the NL in IP.

Regardless this trade is favoring the Tigers big time.

Orange602

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was angry about the CarGo trade at first, but the fact that we eventually got Skaggs and Corbin for Haren eases that frustration. Now I'm worried that we will deal Skaggs and/or Corbin for minimal returns.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KT tries too hard to be like Billy Beane.