• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

We need to upgrade our WRs ASAP

HustleWilson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's laughable that we had to rely on Chris Matthews and Ricardo Lockette to make plays in a SuperBowl. I mean props to them for stepping up, especially Matthews, that was awesome but damn. With Baldwin being covered by Revis yesterday, I just cringed everytime we passed. Wilson played fantastic for having such shitty weapons.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, we had a chance to draft Mathews last year (really wanted him, Jordan that is) but instead took Richardson. I still don't get that. Yah the trade down was nice, but dunno. Jury is still out on Richardson, he was looking pretty good towards the end there, his speed would've been nice yesterday.

There are definitely some late 1st round grade WRs in this draft, so Seattle has another opportunity.

But give me D-Line all day. If Avril stays in that game and let's just say Hill or Mebane was playing, I doubt the Pats put up more than 14.

Our D-Line was a huge liability late in the season, we were giving QBs more time than we should've to throw. Who knows if Kevin Williams will be back either.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is one area where Pete and John have missed ... It's funny how they love going big at the corner but small at the receiver... It's ok to have some small quick guy's ... BUT you also need some size out there so Wilson can throw some fades and isolate 1 on 1 at times... Russ is very limited there....

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's laughable that we had to rely on Chris Matthews and Ricardo Lockette to make plays in a SuperBowl. I mean props to them for stepping up, especially Matthews, that was awesome but damn. With Baldwin being covered by Revis yesterday, I just cringed everytime we passed. Wilson played fantastic for having such shitty weapons.

Getting Richardson back healthy next year will go a long way. Gotta love the upside for Matthews going into next year as a second year player given what they did with him here. Add Norwood hopefully making some progress and the pair give you two young, but bigger guys to add to the mix.

Should they go get a FA? Sure, if there is one to be had that fits in their cap space. Not sure another draft pick is wise as they too would be yet another young receiver with unknown translation to the NFL, but I wouldn't spend a high pick on one given the needs elsewhere.

Far more concerned about RB given that Lynch might have one more year if he doesn't retire now and Michael is NOT the long term answer for a team that NEEDS a high profile back.

Get the line shored up on both sides. The pass rush was terrible all year and we all know about our O line and their stupidity. Might also suggest another DB as Simon really isn't cutting it and who knows if they can pay Maxwell this off season.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I don't think you guys do. They have the talent but just aren't used that much since you guys have Beast Mode. If that was a shawdow of things to come from Matthews than your WR corps will be pretty darn good.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I don't think you guys do. They have the talent but just aren't used that much since you guys have Beast Mode. If that was a shawdow of things to come from Matthews than your WR corps will be pretty darn good.

They do? :scratch:

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off great year and great game. We Pat fans know how hard of a pill a loss like that is to swallow.

What happened to Luke Willson? I thought going into the game he would be the difference. But I don`t remember seeing him, certainley not making plays. Was it part of the BB defensive scheme that took him away?

Looking forward to a rematch in SB 50

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would caution knee-jerk reactions to the outcome of this game for a number of reasons, most of which have already be discussed at length in other threads in here.

That being said, the fact that Harvin was shipped out mid-season, after previously being thought of as a major part of the offense, is reason enough to believe that the coaching staff knows they need a seasoned receiver who is at least of #2 quality. (And, no, I'm not talking about the #2 that Doug Baldwin simulated after catching the TD.)

Ideally we would get a #1 type WR but I don't know if our offense strategy offers enough touches to a #1 to justify paying them #1 money.

And then there is the salary cap thing. They still have to sign Waggoner, Wilson and presumably give Lynch that pay raise. They will be pretty tapped out after that. We may have to settle for a return to health of Richardson and the continuing development of Chris Hardcopy Matthews.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off great year and great game. We Pat fans know how hard of a pill a loss like that is to swallow.

What happened to Luke Willson? I thought going into the game he would be the difference. But I don`t remember seeing him, certainley not making plays. Was it part of the BB defensive scheme that took him away?

You guys have been on both sides of it... So I know you can relate... It's just SOOOOO painful not using our strength in that situation... I thought for sure I was gonna watch Lynch fall into the end zone... He's so good in those situations... I was just numb when we ran a slant.. NUMB... That's what hurts the most...

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys have been on both sides of it... So I know you can relate... It's just SOOOOO painful not using our strength in that situation... I thought for sure I was gonna watch Lynch fall into the end zone... He's so good in those situations... I was just numb when we ran a slant.. NUMB... That's what hurts the most...

That's how most Patriots fans felt after that catch that we all thought hit the ground last night. Also when Tyree made the catch, Eli escaped the grasps of Vrabel? (can't remember who had him).

Best of luck, you guys will be back

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I do think they have the talent. They just can't display it as much as other teams WR can because they don't get the ball thrown to them that much nor do they need to). Sure they aren't Calvin Johnson type but still I think they have talent.

droider

Human NFL Almanac and College Football Insider
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lockette needs to go.

Might be some hope with Norwood, but not counting on it.

Richardson injury was huge and not counting on him at all for next year. He's undersized and his speed hasn't translated well at the pro level, obviously an ACL only hurts that more.

Matthews is a total wild card.

Baldwin and Kearse are both #2/#3 types. One should be cut if the money is needed for other areas.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off great year and great game. We Pat fans know how hard of a pill a loss like that is to swallow....

Thanks. A re-match would be great just because I think the Patriots are the best organization out there over the past 15 years and definitely great champions and worthy opponents. I didn't have much of a feeling either way before this year, but I gained tons of respect for Pats fans over the past couple weeks. I really hope Russell can get some mentorship from Brady. Totally different styles of course, but I think Brady may be able to give some insight that helps Russell get to that next level. Would love to do this again in Santa Clara next year.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The year was a disaster. Miller goes down, Harvin implodes, Richardson blows out his knee right when he was starting to catch stride, ... All things considered it was a great run to the Super Bowl.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for the OP, I think we need to come off the emotion of yesterday's shortfall and honestly assess the value of the WR position in today's game and in the context of our own team. A look around the league at the best WRs or group of WRs doesn't really turn up a lot of team success. Calvin Johnson, Dez Bryant, AJ Green, Brandon Marshall, Antonio Brown, Demarius Thomas, Larry Fitz = no SB wins between them. It's more about QBs and defenses.

On our team, I just don't see how we can put the cap dollars against it would take to bring in a WR that would be markedly better than what we have when we need to extend RW and continue to keep the top players on D that keep that side strong. And then there's also Lynch. Anyway, I think that weapon is already on the team in the form of Paul Richardson. Drafted WRs take a while to develop. We're better off using upcoming early picks on linemen.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think they have the talent. They just can't display it as much as other teams WR can because they don't get the ball thrown to them that much nor do they need to). Sure they aren't Calvin Johnson type but still I think they have talent.

They are in the NFL for chrysakes.......

And there is not a one I want on my team.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's how most Patriots fans felt after that catch that we all thought hit the ground last night. Also when Tyree made the catch, Eli escaped the grasps of Vrabel? (can't remember who had him).

Best of luck, you guys will be back

Appreciate it ... :suds:

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting Richardson back healthy next year will go a long way.

Will he be back at 100% for the season? Not sure about that... ACL's have a tendency to take 9-12 months to fully heal and this is Richardson's 2nd torn ACL on the same knee in 3 years... I wouldn't count on him to be back 100% next season personally... I'm 6 months recovering from my first ACL surgery and I couldn't even imagine trying to play any sports right now... I still have a hard time jumping and running....

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm 6 months recovering from my first ACL surgery and I couldn't even imagine trying to play any sports right now... I still have a hard time jumping and running....

LOL ok old timer, it takes us old guys a lot longer to bounce back than when we were 23.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL ok old timer, it takes us old guys a lot longer to bounce back than when we were 23.

HAHA... LOL... I get it but guys still don't come back at a 100% in the NFL until 9-12 months post surgery...