• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wasting time with Nate Montana

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Why are the Niners wasting a roster spot (albeit temporary until the first round of cuts) and time with Nate Montana? Do they need Joe to come to comp & pose for pic's or something? I don't see what good it does doing a favour to Joe by letting a guy who isn't even good enough to play in Division 1 college football; much less the NFL.

It's not a huge deal, but it I don't like shifting the focus even a tiny bit away from competing and winning a SB.

If they want to go after a former HOFer's relative, wait for Jerry Rice's cousin (or was it nephew?) or Barry Sanders' boy.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is barry's son looking good? Barry is one of my all time favorites so I'm curious to see what his son is like.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Were there some undrafted QBs you had your eyes on following the draft? Don't say Bray, because any "name" QBs would be unlikely to sign with us.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Were there some undrafted QBs you had your eyes on following the draft? Don't say Bray, because any "name" QBs would be unlikely to sign with us.

It's too late to start scouring the scrap heap for QBs now, and I don't think it's necessary to have 5 QBs in training camp; but if they didn't waste time with Nate Montana, they could've gone after another great player's relative like Jordan Rodgers (coincidentally the guy who threw the ball to Jerry Rice's cousin).

It was clearly done as a favour to Joe. The guy isn't anywhere close to NFL material. I don't think that's going out on a limb.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind them doing a favor for Joe Montana. The guy is a major part of why all of us love this team. I bet the former QB in Harbaugh probably enjoys getting a chance to evaluate Joe's son personally. I might even let the little guy play a few preseason snaps for the hell of it.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Why are the Niners wasting a roster spot (albeit temporary until the first round of cuts) and time with Nate Montana? Do they need Joe to come to comp & pose for pic's or something? I don't see what good it does doing a favour to Joe by letting a guy who isn't even good enough to play in Division 1 college football; much less the NFL.

It's not a huge deal, but it I don't like shifting the focus even a tiny bit away from competing and winning a SB.

If they want to go after a former HOFer's relative, wait for Jerry Rice's cousin (or was it nephew?) or Barry Sanders' boy.

We waste a roster spot every year on a guy that's just a camp arm so it's not really a big deal.

Nobody undrafted has really any shot at beating out Colt or Tolizen for the QB jobs so they might as well bring in Nate to sling the ball around while doing Joe a favor and bringing in some PR.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Maybe I missed something, but I thought he was just there on a tryout basis for the weekend. I didn't think he signed a contract yet.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Maybe I missed something, but I thought he was just there on a tryout basis for the weekend. I didn't think he signed a contract yet.

I believe Sick's point is why even try him out at all since he has 0 shot of making the roster or doing anything.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

They aren't. He's getting a tryout at the rookie mini camp. We need a second arm so Daniels doesn't do all the throwing. Montana doesn't even count toward the 90-man roster limit, and there's virtually no chance he ever will. I don't see any harm in it.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

Actually, I didn't know that. If he's not even on the roster, I guess it doesn't matter.

I just can't remember a time when the Niners have had 5 QBs even in May.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Actually, I didn't know that. If he's not even on the roster, I guess it doesn't matter.

I just can't remember a time when the Niners have had 5 QBs even in May.

this weekend was ROOKIE mini camp, so there wasn't five QB's present? ok three if you count Kaep? haa

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well, a lot of people have already made the points that needed to be made. Montana isn't on the roster, and without him this weekend Daniels would have been the only QB on the field. Whoever we signed would not make the roster. They did a favour for Joe by bringing in his kid and paying him a few hundred bucks for the weekend.

At this time last year we had Smith, Kaep, Tolzien and Josh Johnson under contract. None of them were eligible to participate in rookie minicamp. Tavita Pritchard and Jeff Fleming were QBs.

I have no idea which is which, but
http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/...1aa8e920#368c7919-2f59-4219-af24-fb6e9ce9d5a9

and

http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/...1aa8e920#52b33947-71d6-44e5-a672-bbd46b248774

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After his three-day tryout at rookie camp, QB Nate Montana has not signed with the 49ers.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Joe did so much for this organization, that's the least we could do for him to honor him. I wouldn't give a phuck if his son was paraplegic, Junior deserves a chance to pursue a career with the 9ers. We owe it to Joe even though it hinders are more skill person from getting an opportunity. How dare you sick!

:brick:

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe did so much for this organization, that's the least we could do for him to honor him. I wouldn't give a phuck if his son was paraplegic, Junior deserves a chance to pursue a career with the 9ers. We owe it to Joe even though it hinders are more skill person from getting an opportunity. How dare you sick!

:brick:

do we need popcorn vendors?

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Practice Squad him, cause then Kap can look into the stands during the 2014 SuperBowl and say, "Hey, look... it's Joe Montana."

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Practice Squad him, cause then Kap can look into the stands during the 2014 SuperBowl and say, "Hey, look... it's Joe Montana."

LOL, I like that one. :)

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't see what the big deal is - most of us and pretty much every pundit who follows this team knows Little Montana has a slim chance of making the team. Now if he was on the 53 man roster, then that's something entirely different, but i don't see anything wrong with this.

Additionally, I don't know of which Jerry Rice cousin you're talking about, but I do know he has a son that supposedly has great hands. The only other person who I can think of related to JR is some guy named Jordan Mathews, who plays for Vandy?

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see what the big deal is - most of us and pretty much every pundit who follows this team knows Little Montana has a slim chance of making the team. Now if he was on the 53 man roster, then that's something entirely different, but i don't see anything wrong with this.

Additionally, I don't know of which Jerry Rice cousin you're talking about, but I do know he has a son that supposedly has great hands. The only other person who I can think of related to JR is some guy named Jordan Mathews, who plays for Vandy?

I wouldn't even give him a slim chance.