• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

wasn't there a rumor we would buy the pick?

naes666

Fuck Raffi Torres
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i thought i heard or read somewhere that management was trying to buy the pick back from the Jazz? anyone?

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They probably tried, but I'm sure the talks were overly brief. The Warriors paid 2M for a 2nd Round Draft pick last year to draft Tyler. The most the NBA allows for cash transactions is 3M. I doubt the Jazz would sell a lottery pick for an additional 1M as opposed to the 2nd rounder.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They probably tried, but I'm sure the talks were overly brief. The Warriors paid 2M for a 2nd Round Draft pick last year to draft Tyler. The most the NBA allows for cash transactions is 3M. I doubt the Jazz would sell a lottery pick for an additional 1M as opposed to the 2nd rounder.

The negotiations are ongoing, but the crux is this: The Jazz have a very young team and aren't necessarily interested in adding another teenager this year. The Ws are negotiating to move the owed pick back one year. As compensation they may offer cash, but more likely they'd remove some/all of the protection (i.e. make it a top 3 protected pick or unprotected altogether). It may be that the Jazz will get cash and a less protected future pick.

Addendum: nothing is likely to happen until after the lottery, as that would be when both teams know where the pick falls.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The negotiations are ongoing, but the crux is this: The Jazz have a very young team and aren't necessarily interested in adding another teenager this year. The Ws are negotiating to move the owed pick back one year. As compensation they may offer cash, but more likely they'd remove some/all of the protection (i.e. make it a top 3 protected pick or unprotected altogether). It may be that the Jazz will get cash and a less protected future pick.

Addendum: nothing is likely to happen until after the lottery, as that would be when both teams know where the pick falls.

What he said.

There's no point in finalizing an agreement if the Warriors get a fortuitous bounce of the lotto balls.

My take is that Utah would acquire a veteran player (Wright? Rush?) and cash in exchange for pushing the pick back a year. The Warriors want to package the first rounder they got from the Spurs in the Jefferson;Jackson deal and at least one of their two second round picks, but I don't think Utah wants more picks.

If the Warriors' pick ends up being outside of the Top 7, I think that Riley will be able to engineer some kind of deal where the Warriors keep this year's pick.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sources -- Golden State Warriors eye trade with Utah Jazz to secure lottery pick - ESPN

Looks like the talks are heating up again. Says the Warriors would likely have to part with an asset, but don't want to give up a current player. If you're the Jazz would you accept the 30th pick to delay the draft pick until next year?

I think I read somewhere that the Jazz don't want another young player on their already young, playoff roster.

I think they'd be open to a player like Richard Jefferson or Wright.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I read somewhere that the Jazz don't want another young player on their already young, playoff roster.

I think they'd be open to a player like Richard Jefferson or Wright.

Take either one, Utah. Actually, I want them to role the dice (...er... ping pong balls). I'll take a 72 percent chance of keeping the pick outright. Jefferson or Wright could be great trade chips at the deadline if two of Curry/Lee/Bogut goes down (completely possible). We'll find out soon.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
trade talks are DEAD!

Talks between Warriors, Jazz reportedly break down - San Jose Mercury News

Fuck it, we're better off with all of our picks this season, then give them a twentysomething pick next season.

Woooohooooo! Today is the big day! Warriors fans don't worry much about playoffs, but we love us some ping pong ball droppings!

I like your take, EK. 72% chance at a really deep, young team next year. 4 picks in, potentially, one of the deepest drafts of the last decade!

:hurt: