• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Washington Capitals at Philadelphia Flyers 12/17/13 | 7:30pm

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
llrs2zxi127vkqgcsvfb.gif
vs.
161.gif

at

5ea7ead23d3abf6e45b7c61b47148707.jpg

Game Time: 7:30pm EST - CSN-PH/NBCSN

SEASON SERIES
Friday, November 1, 2013 - Washington Capitals 7, Philadelphia Flyers 0
Sunday, December 15, 2013 - Philadelphia Flyers 4, Washington Capitals 5 F/SO
Tuesday, December 17, 2013 - Washington Capitals at Philadelphia Flyers
Sunday, March 2, 2014 - Philadelphia Flyers at Washington Capitals
Wednesday, March 5, 2014 - Washington Capitals at Philadelphia Flyers

TEAM LEADERS

Washington Capitals
Goals: Alexander Ovechkin - 28
Assists: Nicklas Backstrom - 28

Philadelphia Flyers
Goals: Vincent Lecavalier/Matt Read - 9
Assists: Claude Giroux - 18

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cmon guys move your feet for three periods and lets get this done!

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Stone Cold Steve Mason!

Last edited by a moderator:

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mason's Save % over the last 5 games: .882

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite frankly, the ONLY way I'm going to START to get over that last loss is if we win this game tonight in regulation and do so convincingly. I personally think we're better than the Caps, we just let them off the hook in that game. They were dead and buried. All we had to do was get the red line and dump the puck deep in their zone for ten minutes.

I also would've directed Mason to either whip that damn puck off the glass and out (icing it if you must) or stop handling the fucking puck altogether. Leave it to the defensemen for God's sake. He was careless and nervous with the puck on his stick all game long and it finally bit him big time. Also, Mason can't stop every puck that he can't see coming, so fucking be mindful of that. Block the puck or get out of the damn way.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite frankly, the ONLY way I'm going to START to get over that last loss is if we win this game tonight in regulation and do so convincingly. I personally think we're better than the Caps, we just let them off the hook in that game. They were dead and buried. All we had to do was get the red line and dump the puck deep in their zone for ten minutes.

I also would've directed Mason to either whip that damn puck off the glass and out (icing it if you must) or stop handling the fucking puck altogether. Leave it to the defensemen for God's sake. He was careless and nervous with the puck on his stick all game long and it finally bit him big time. Also, Mason can't stop every puck that he can't see coming, so fucking be mindful of that. Block the puck or get out of the damn way.

I agree with everything you said except one thing - it's not like the Flyers have defensemen who are reliable enough to take the puck from Steve Mason - there are times where he has to attempt to get the puck because they're slow - so maybe he needs to shoot the puck off the glass and out but it's not as easy as what people think

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the start of the season, we were talking about the puck handling abilities of Mason and Emery and how that would take pressure off of the D. Unfortunately, I haven't seen much of that happening, and instead have witnessed major puck handling miscues by both goalies. Then again, it's hard to find someone to pass the puck to when all 5 of your teammates are just standing around waiting for the puck to magically find its way to their sticks.

Sorry, that's my last negative thought before the game. Promise.

Let's get a convincing win tonight use it as a springboard to another strong streak to close out the calendar year.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with everything you said except one thing - it's not like the Flyers have defensemen who are reliable enough to take the puck from Steve Mason - there are times where he has to attempt to get the puck because they're slow - so maybe he needs to shoot the puck off the glass and out but it's not as easy as what people think

Well, he's supposed to be a decent puck handler. He was terrible in that last game. On such a night, I would much rather have him slam it up the boards and have a 50/50 shot at icing (especially with a lead) than have him throw it softly up the boards to one of their players, resulting in a potential prime scoring chance.

I also think that defenders like Coby and Gus are quick and skilled enough to skate back there and retrieve their own pucks. They don't necessarily need Mase to do it for them. Too many times he either handed the puck to the other team or dished it to one of our players that wasn't ready for it and/or was covered.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have to agree with you that mason's puck handling was bad last game and even the game prior but Mase has stolen at least 6 to 10 points for us this season all by himself. His puck handling is way above average and i love his awareness in our net so i will have to say he will get out of this little funk he is in and get back to the way weve seen him last season and early this season.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We win tonight and we are right in the hunt for a playoff spot lets beat the dam Caps and get happy!!!

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to agree with you that mason's puck handling was bad last game and even the game prior but Mase has stolen at least 6 to 10 points for us this season all by himself. His puck handling is way above average and i love his awareness in our net so i will have to say he will get out of this little funk he is in and get back to the way weve seen him last season and early this season.

Believe me, I love Mason, so it kills me to pick on him. He is stopping most every puck he sees and that's about all you can ask for out of a starting goalie. I saw him slip to I believe the 15th round (200+ overall) in fantasy, grabbed him without hesitation and he's been an absolute steal for me all season long.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
goalies who puck handle a lot help their team more often than not, but eventually you're going to have a screw up that costs you.. just the risk you have to bear when your goalie plays like that.. brodeur isn't perfect either.. still fine with him coming out and playing the puck, it's not something you notice every game, but i've definitely noticed a HUGE difference. i'm fine with a miscue or two if it means quality, aggressive, puckhandling the rest of the time. it just happened to come at a terrible time on sunday.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
goalies who puck handle a lot help their team more often than not, but eventually you're going to have a screw up that costs you.. just the risk you have to bear when your goalie plays like that.. brodeur isn't perfect either.. still fine with him coming out and playing the puck, it's not something you notice every game, but i've definitely noticed a HUGE difference. i'm fine with a miscue or two if it means quality, aggressive, puckhandling the rest of the time. it just happened to come at a terrible time on sunday.

Right, but I noticed it throughout the game, not just there at the end of regulation when it finally backfired on him. Either way, the Caps were extremely fortunate to get out of that game with a point, let alone two. I don't think Mason saw any of the remaining three shots on goal that got by him. I had to get on Grossmann for standing perfectly still in the absolute worst spot for Mason on the Orlov shot that made it 4-3.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, but I noticed it throughout the game, not just there at the end of regulation when it finally backfired on him. Either way, the Caps were extremely fortunate to get out of that game with a point, let alone two. I don't think Mason saw any of the remaining three shots on goal that got by him. I had to get on Grossmann for standing perfectly still in the absolute worst spot for Mason on the Orlov shot that made it 4-3.

only matters if it ends up in the back of the net :)

but seriously, he's bound to have off games puckhandling. just like any other player can have an off day at something they do best. that's all i'm saying. mason's puckhandling is not a concern of mine yet, we've got bigger problems.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that we have two lines rolling lets get all fours lines playing well and take care of business.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look for Cooter/Downie/Read to have another good game...and for G/Raffle/JakeV to put up some numbers as well....but I have a high fever so I may be delirious

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look for Cooter/Downie/Read to have another good game...and for G/Raffle/JakeV to put up some numbers as well....but I have a high fever so I may be delirious

As long as we feed off the crowd and don't let off the throttle, we should be able to blow them out tonight and extract a measure of revenge that will have us all feeling a lot better.

Last edited by a moderator: