• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Washington @ Boise State (Chris Petersen's Nightmare)

Berkeley_Blues

Retired Experience Junkie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Petersen going back into hostile Boise tonight after a very tough year in Seattle. This is going to be interesting!

I've got Boise winning a (very) close game. I don't think Boise State covers -11.5

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, I think Boise wins a close game. I am ticked I won't be able to watch this game live tonight.

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I seldom have a good feeling opening week. New QB, new RBs, no one knows how they perform until they do. But Boise is solid on the line, two deep. LB & receivers are solid, DBs solid (but thin with freshmen back ups). UW though also has holes to fill, inexperienced line, no QB announced to start (CP is doing his old thing). I hope Boise will win, IF they start fast, they will cover, but if they don't it will be a horse race or a dog fight. UW wins the dog fight, BSU the horse race.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get not having a feel for your team, but come on Smiles. This is setup to be a blood bath if your team is really worthy of a ranking given that we don't even know which of the 3 inexperienced QB's will be taking the first snap today and it's a home game for you. How many times does BSU get to open against a P5 team at home? Experience factor goes to BSU by a wide margin and while UW may have some better athletes here and there it doesn't mean much if they aren't all playing solid and that comes with experience. You should have a lot more confidence.

Berkeley_Blues

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the wild card: Petersen knows Boise State. He knows their play book. He knows Harsin. Plus Pete is a proven winner. I love the guy. Advantage Washington.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to request that the thread title be changed to "Washington at Boise State (Everyone Who Has to Watch the Game on TV's Nightmare)"

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How good is Washington predicted to be this year?

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like it's a consens Peterson will be sucessfull at Washington relatiely soon.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to request that the thread title be changed to "Washington at Boise State (Everyone Who Has to Watch the Game on TV's Nightmare)"
Because of the god awful, eye hurtingly blue turf... God damn it, see, it doesn't work if I have to explain it...

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's my prediction anyway... :ipw:

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THE GAME: The Washington football team makes its first-ever trip to Boise, Idaho, to take on 23rd-rated Boise State in the 2015 season opener. The Huskies and Broncos, who are No. 23 in the AP and No. 24 in the preseason coaches’ poll, will be playing one another for just the fourth time ever (all in the last eight seasons). They will square off in front of a national ESPN audience at 8:15 p.m. MT/7:15 p.m. PT Friday night. The game marks the return of former BSU head coach Chris Petersen, who came to Washington prior to the 2014 season. The majority of the Husky coaching staff also came to Seattle from Boise State. The Huskies are 2-1 all-time vs. the Broncos, with wins in 2007 (24-10) and 2013 (38-6), both in Husky Stadium, to go with a 28-26 loss to Boise State in the 2012 Las Vegas Bowl. In all three of those games, Boise State was coached by Petersen and all three pitted a ranked Broncos team vs. an unranked Washington squad.

TELEVISION: The Washington-Boise State game will air live to a national audience on ESPN with Mark Jones (play-by-play), Rod Gilmore (color) and Quint Kessenich (sidelines) providing the commentary.

Berkeley_Blues

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington's style of play (solid run game and stout D) is a style that seems to give Boise some trouble. It seems like UW has burned the clock and shortened the game effectively in the past.

But if Boise is able to get a couple quick scores early, it might be a long night for the Huskies.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
--Boise State returns 17 starters from last year’s Fiesta Bowl championship team, but the Broncos are also facing similar uncertainty as the Huskies at the quarterback position, where third-year sophomore Ryan Finley takes over after serving as Grant Hedrick’s backup a year ago. And the loss of star tailback Jay Ajayi isn’t insignificant, either.

That said, BSU’s entire starting offensive line is back, and they’ll be going against a UW defensive front that I do think is pretty talented, but is going to need some time to get used to playing alongside one another. Can Elijah Qualls help make up for the loss of Danny Shelton by establishing himself as a force in the middle? Hau’oli Kikaha, Andrew Hudson and Shelton kept constant pressure on opposing quarterbacks last season. Who fills that void this year? How will Travis Feeney adapt to the “BUCK” linebacker spot? What about new starters Azeem Victor and Keishawn Bierria? All promising players, to be sure. But it’s hard to know what to expect from them in Game 1.

Aside from Petersen’s return to Boise, the biggest storyline seems to be UW’s quarterback situation -- especially if Jake Browning gets the start, as many are speculating. Browning is renowned for his poise, and this will be a great test of it, given the atmosphere. The Huskies’ offensive line, termed a “work in progress” by coaches all camp, will have to gel in a hurry for the Huskies to keep Browning (or whoever) upright and give the passing game a chance.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
--The Huskies’ defense, while relatively inexperienced, does include a number of players who were well-regarded as recruits but simply haven’t played all that much (though the secondary, led by sophomores Budda Baker and Sidney Jones, features young players who actually saw the field plenty last season out of necessity).

One promising youngster is Elijah Qualls, a third-year sophomore nose tackle who backed up All-America lineman Danny Shelton last season.

“I’m honestly a little nervous,” Qualls said Monday. “Just first time ever starting, going to get a lot of playing time. I’ve got some big shoes to fill. At the same time, I’m trying to also make a name for myself and just be dependable for my team.”

The Huskies also are likely to play, at some point, a trio of true freshmen receivers — Chico McClatcher, Isaiah Renfro and Quinten Pounds — in addition to two true sophomores and two seniors.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports are a very respectable amount of Washington fans traveled for the game tonight so it won't just be a sea of blue in the stands.

Berkeley_Blues

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can. Not. Wait.

It stands to reason that a Duck fan is pretty much in a no lose situation watching this game, huh? :D

(Who you pulling for the for here?)