• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Was Phil's 66 the best final rd played

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in a major?

Miller's 63 @ Oakmont in '73 is still the final round standard in a major.

Nicklaus' 65 @ Augusta in '86...probably the most beloved.

Like him or not...where do you rank Phil's final round 66?

Admittedly I didn't see Miller's great round except for on replays, etc...I would still go '86 Masters 1st because of his age and back 9 30, but Phil's round was historic...if he never wins another Claret Jug this will grow much bigger in the years ahead.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though I have never been a big Mickelson fan I have to give him huge props for how he approached the final round. His mental state was incredible. Early on - he was 4-5 strokes back & could have just packed it in. They also showed one of his earlier mistakes & he simply owned up & stated that he made a mistake - very good temper control.

Not just Tiger & the others but all of us can learn quite a bit from this round. Although it is not easy - we can all generally do better if we just plug along & try to focus on the present & keep the temper at least somewhat in check. Having said this - I know that I will quite often not take this approach moving forward. :L

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my opinion, it goes to Big Jack for his final round in the '86 Masters, simply for the drama. of course Augusta is set up specifically for back nine charges on Sunday. Mickelson's task was much, much harder.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#3 behind those two.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though I have never been a big Mickelson fan I have to give him huge props for how he approached the final round. His mental state was incredible. Early on - he was 4-5 strokes back & could have just packed it in. They also showed one of his earlier mistakes & he simply owned up & stated that he made a mistake - very good temper control.

Not just Tiger & the others but all of us can learn quite a bit from this round. Although it is not easy - we can all generally do better if we just plug along & try to focus on the present & keep the temper at least somewhat in check. Having said this - I know that I will quite often not take this approach moving forward. :L

I don't see how that's possible.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though I have never been a big Mickelson fan I have to give him huge props for how he approached the final round. His mental state was incredible.

Very good points...I distinctly remember the par 3, 6iron that hit the green, well into the green actually, but wasn't enough to hold...rolled off the green some 25 yds from the pin...mics heard Phil say(I'm paraphrasing)...that's the best I got...Bones did help him out there, but Tiger would lost it there I think.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my opinion, it goes to Big Jack for his final round in the '86 Masters, simply for the drama. of course Augusta is set up specifically for back nine charges on Sunday. Mickelson's task was much, much harder.

It was much harder and I don't think the avg. Joe watching on TV will appreciate how much harder it was.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how that's possible.

Different strokes. I have also heard quite a few stories about Mickelson to make me believe that he is somewhat of a phony. Having said that - again - I will focus on the actual play & state that Phil shot the round of a lifetime on Sunday.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Different strokes. I have also heard quite a few stories about Mickelson to make me believe that he is somewhat of a phony. Having said that - again - I will focus on the actual play & state that Phil shot the round of a lifetime on Sunday.

I hear a lot of people say that but none can ever point to anything specific. He seems like a genuinely good person to me. If you want to talk phonies, how 'bout Mr. Woods with his public persona that Nike created for him and then his secret life off the course as well as the way he conducts himself on the course. Now there's a guy to dislike.

SFNL

is a little bit warmer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A 63 is the best round ever shot in a major & it happened in the final round at Oakmont. Simply untoppable for now.

Jack's win in 86 was against all odds (inconceivable at that time that a 46 yr old man could do that)

I cant think of a #3 better than Phil's

Hard to measure, but those are my thoughts.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear a lot of people say that but none can ever point to anything specific. He seems like a genuinely good person to me. If you want to talk phonies, how 'bout Mr. Woods with his public persona that Nike created for him and then his secret life off the course as well as the way he conducts himself on the course. Now there's a guy to dislike.

There is plenty of locker room chatter out there about Phil not being this endearing personality when the cameras are not rolling...big time gambler, salty language, etc. I followed Phil for almost a full18 holes the last time he actually won a PGAT event then won a major the following week. Although he didn't have much to cuss about at the Bellsouth, but I can attest to Phil's salty language in person, so I can imagine that some of the locker room rumor stuff is probably true. And of course Tiger removed all doubt.

Big deal...I understand golf may just be emerging on this board, but that was an all-time round.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is plenty of locker room chatter out there about Phil not being this endearing personality when the cameras are not rolling...big time gambler, salty language, etc. I followed Phil for almost a full18 holes the last time he actually won a PGAT event then won a major the following week. Although he didn't have much to cuss about at the Bellsouth, but I can attest to Phil's salty language in person, so I can imagine that some of the locker room rumor stuff is probably true. And of course Tiger removed all doubt.

Big deal...I understand golf may just be emerging on this board, but that was an all-time round.

I think that is contradicted by all the genuine love the players were showing him after the round. I heard a lot of heartfelt congratulations going on. Hell, Fred Couples was even hugging Bones.

Did you happen to see what he did for Hunter Mahan when Hunter broke down in the press conference after he blew the 2010 Ryder Cup? I can guarantee you won't hear any trash talking from Mahan about Mickelson.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It definitely deserves to be considered, mostly because what the course was doing to everyone else. There were only 15 (out of 73) rounds under par on Sunday, and Phil was -5, coming from somewhat of an after thought, to win.

He didn't shoot some amazingly low score on a course that was set to play low

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 63 is the best round ever shot in a major & it happened in the final round at Oakmont. Simply untoppable for now.

Jack's win in 86 was against all odds (inconceivable at that time that a 46 yr old man could do that)

Valid points...I have some regional bias living in ATL I think. Everything Masters seems bigger here, the age had a lot to do with it for me as well. I would rank Phil 2nd only because I never saw Miller's '63, but I can only imagine hitting 18 GIR @ a USO, and he lipped out twice for birdie on 17 & 18.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that is contradicted by all the genuine love the players were showing him after the round. I heard a lot of heartfelt congratulations going on. Hell, Fred Couples was even hugging Bones.

Did you happen to see what he did for Hunter Mahan when Hunter broke down in the press conference after he blew the 2010 Ryder Cup? I can guarantee you won't hear any trash talking from Mahan about Mickelson.

I never said players don't like Phil...my point was his public persona may not be as genuine as Phil would have us believe and I think there's some truth to that because we're all human...no way he's this great guy 100% of the time.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It definitely deserves to be considered, mostly because what the course was doing to everyone else. There were only 15 (out of 73) rounds under par on Sunday, and Phil was -5, coming from somewhat of an after thought, to win.

He didn't shoot some amazingly low score on a course that was set to play low

Right...and of those 15...how many guys were really in contention...Poulter really wasn't until the lead came back to him. I think it was an all-time great round. Not to start anything with TW, but if this were him winning in this fashion I think it would be a much bigger deal.

Phil is getting the ho-hum treatment a little I think.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right...and of those 15...how many guys were really in contention...Poulter really wasn't until the lead came back to him. I think it was an all-time great round. Not to start anything with TW, but if this were him winning in this fashion I think it would be a much bigger deal.

Phil is getting the ho-hum treatment a little I think.

If TW did this, we'd be back to calling him the best ever. I'm admittedly not the biggest Phil fan, but Sunday was easily the best round I've ever watched on tv - including some of Tiger's great rounds.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said players don't like Phil...my point was his public persona may not be as genuine as Phil would have us believe and I think there's some truth to that because we're all human...no way he's this great guy 100% of the time.

Whose is? We only allow people to see what we want them to see. Why would Mickelson be any different?

Dutchis59

Senior Advisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I might add two to the list that would be better than Phils. Tom Watson's back to back 65's in the 1977 British Open at Turnberry beating Nicklaus by one as both were paired the final two rounds with Nicklaus shooting 65-66, also
Arnold Palmers 65 in the final round of the 1960 U.S. Open at Cherry Hills coming from 7 shots behind to win by 2 over Nicklaus.