• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Warriors Prospect Watch 2012

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far the reports are the Warriors have had the following guys in for workouts:

Drew Gordon
Kyle O'Quinn
Quincy Acy
Jorge Gutierrez
Jordan Taylor
Casper Ware
Mitchell Watt
Jared Cunningham

I've already said I like Gordon as a potential late 1st early 2nd Pick for us, and think he would be a nice addition at that spot.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far the reports are the Warriors have had the following guys in for workouts:

Drew Gordon
Kyle O'Quinn
Quincy Acy
Jorge Gutierrez
Jordan Taylor
Casper Ware
Mitchell Watt
Jared Cunningham

I've already said I like Gordon as a potential late 1st early 2nd Pick for us, and think he would be a nice addition at that spot.

Of this list of players, Cunningham is the only one I've seen. I like him, I just don't see where he'd fit?

I'll tell you, I started watching clips and reading stats or whatever on some of the players. That cat Kyle O'Quinn is a beast. Again, I haven't ever seen a game that he played in, so its just based on highlights, stats and second hand info, but DAMN! He's a diamond in the rough. I love his size, 6'10,240, with a 7'5 wingspan.

I'm really intrigued with him, I can't wait to see how he plays at the combine.

Kyle O'Quinn Shines at the PIT - YouTube

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of this list of players, Cunningham is the only one I've seen. I like him, I just don't see where he'd fit?

I'll tell you, I started watching clips and reading stats or whatever on some of the players. That cat Kyle O'Quinn is a beast. Again, I haven't ever seen a game that he played in, so its just based on highlights, stats and second hand info, but DAMN! He's a diamond in the rough. I love his size, 6'10,240, with a 7'5 wingspan.

I'm really intrigued with him, I can't wait to see how he plays at the combine.

Kyle O'Quinn Shines at the PIT - YouTube

I agree O'Quinn is intriguing. I haven't seen anything on him really except for a few youtube vids, but you can't argue with size. I don't think he has much of a face up game, but that can be developed as he goes along. If he can come in and bang right away, he'll earn a spot on a roster somewhere.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hearing we're working out Terrence Jones and Perry Jones today.

I'll be honest, I really like TJ. I think he can be a 3 in the league. His size rivals Artest. I'm just nt convinced that he would bring that defensive effort every night.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ChuckDurn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would absolutely call Houston and try to trade back with them (or find some other way to convert the #7 to 2 top-15 or so picks). I see very little difference between the #7 and #15 prospects, and would much rather get very good depth with 2 guys in that range.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would absolutely call Houston and try to trade back with them (or find some other way to convert the #7 to 2 top-15 or so picks). I see very little difference between the #7 and #15 prospects, and would much rather get very good depth with 2 guys in that range.

+1. I can't help but think some sort of deal has to go down between at least 2 of the 6 teams that have two picks in the first round. When 3 of those 6 also have two in the second round, there will be deals, regardless. Especially, since Philly has 3 picks in a deep draft, too, and the international talent to stash elsewhere for a year is scant. I've read everywhere that the Warriors do not intend to open camp with 4 rookies, but with the NBDL, I wouldn't be opposed to it. EDIT: There are a lot of players that I think could play important roles on the Warriors in the next 2-3 years showing up in this draft.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chad Ford's new mock has Barnes falling to the Warriors.

Davis
Robinson
Kidd-Gilchrist
Beal
Drummond (or perhaps Henson)
Lilliard
Barnes

Analysis: "I think both the Warriors and Barnes' camp, who want Barnes to go to a big market and an up-and-coming team, would do backflips if he slides this far. The team desperately wants to get a great small forward out of this draft and there's a pretty big drop-off after Barnes.

"The Warriors worked out both Terrence Jones and Perry Jones on Monday, but weren't blown away with either player. Both are really 4s trying to pass themselves off as 3s. Jared Sullinger is also in the mix here and I'm hearing Moe Harkless is a potential dark horse for this spot, as well."

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Davis
Robinson
Kidd-Gilchrist
Beal
Lilliard
Barnes

Analysis: "I think both the Warriors and Barnes' camp, who want Barnes to go to a big market and an up-and-coming team, would do backflips if he slides this far. The team desperately wants to get a great small forward out of this draft and there's a pretty big drop-off after Barnes.

"The Warriors worked out both Terrence Jones and Perry Jones on Monday, but weren't blown away with either player. Both are really 4s trying to pass themselves off as 3s. Jared Sullinger is also in the mix here and I'm hearing Moe Harkless is a potential dark horse for this spot, as well."

Those names scream, "Trade Back," to me. Sullinger might be a good value pick at 7 because I think he is a Top 10 talent, but it would be a little silly to make a number 7 pick sit behind Lee for three years (and we all know that contract is going nowhere). If MKG and Barnes are gone at 7, the other three bolded names can be had in the mid-teens to early 20s. If Perry Jones can't be had then, someone reached, which makes 15-21 an even better range to be in.

For the record, I still don't see Barnes getting by Sac at 5, and since the Blazers have pick 11, they could go for BPA at 6. That means Drummond won't get by them, and the Raptors (Calderon still the future?), Pistons (Stuckey still the future?) or Hornets (most likely) will have a great PG to build around. Terrence Ross and Austin Rivers should still be there to fill Portland's hole at SG (and possibly Jeremy Lamb or Dion Waiters). Ideally, I think they want Beal. If the Cavs fall in love with Drummond's or Perry Jones' athleticism, things could get very interesting (and beneficial for the Pacific Northwest's sole b-ball team). However, the safe pick for the Cavs is definitely Beal. I think it would be a safe pick for the Bobcats, too, but that would just send MKG to Cleveland (unless the Dubs trade up).

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Davis
Robinson
Kidd-Gilchrist
Beal
Lilliard
Barnes

Why do the Kings take Drummond? Do they turn him into a PF or leave him as a C and make Cousins play the PF spot? I only ask because both are natural (if undersized) centers. Neither has played the PF spot that I can tell and neither looks like he is ready to make a move. Putting Drummond in Sacramento only serves to crowd the only spot on the Kings' roster with any kind of future talent.

Colin - I am not posting this to you. I am merely quoting you since you pasted Ford's mock. It is Ford I am questioning here.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do the Kings take Drummond? Do they turn him into a PF or leave him as a C and make Cousins play the PF spot? I only ask because both are natural (if undersized) centers. Neither has played the PF spot that I can tell and neither looks like he is ready to make a move. Putting Drummond in Sacramento only serves to crowd the only spot on the Kings' roster with any kind of future talent.

Colin - I am not posting this to you. I am merely quoting you since you pasted Ford's mock. It is Ford I am questioning here.

This is more what I was trying to say, and I added that I think Portland would be interested in a talent like Drummond. He would work very well with Aldridge, if they make his role completely clear. Basically, they can make him into a younger Marcus Camby with a less-established offensive game (eventually). Since, Beal will be gone, it just makes sense for them.

I agree with your take. I think the Kings take Barnes or MKG, who ever slips to them. I think the Blazers will take BPA (which in Ford's scenario would be Drummond). That leaves the Warriors picking between Damian Lillard (the best rookie back-up PG in the game - not likely), Dion Waiters (I like Klay Thompson better), Jeremy Lamb (see Waiter parenthetical), Jared Sullinger (Lee - not likely) and Perry Jones (more value at 13 or later). I think Terrence Jones and Meyers Leonard are too early to even think about at 7. They are only options if the Dubs trade back, and given the likely available players, that is looking like the best option. After watching some film and about 100 college b-ball games this year, various articles and the opinions of you fine gentlemen, I'm firm in the MKG, Barnes or trade back camp. Luckily, the Warriors have people working on this that do a lot more research than I.:puke:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's definitely starting to look like MKG or Barnes or a trade back at this point. Unless we pull a rabbit out a hat and we trade up.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cousins played the 4 as rookie. He would be downright scary at that position with (a motivated) Drummond playing Deandre Jordan or Tyson Chandler's role. It makes me cringe every time I think about those twin towers possibly being in Sac for the next 10 seasons.

http://www.allkyhoops.com/2011/03/demarcus-cousins-explodes-in-start-at.html

Last edited by a moderator:

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's definitely starting to look like MKG or Barnes or a trade back at this point. Unless we pull a rabbit out a hat and we trade up.

The rabbit out the hat trade up would only be to land MKG. We wouldn't be trading up for anyone else in this draft, Sir.

:director:

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Davis
Robinson
Kidd-Gilchrist
Beal
Lilliard
Barnes

I had to chime back in on the Moe Harkless comment. I think he can be every bit as good as A.I. Looking at A.I.'s college stats and bio, they are very similar. Harkless has been working with a trainer on his shot and could be much improved come next season. A.I. was drafted #9 on "potential" only. M.H. is said to have a great understanding of team defense, as well as having better measurements than A.I. did (does).

Andre Iguodala Stats - Arizona Wildcats - College Basketball

DraftExpress NBA Draft Prospect Profile: Moe Harkless, Stats, Comparisons, and Outlook

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is more what I was trying to say, and I added that I think Portland would be interested in a talent like Drummond. He would work very well with Aldridge, if they make his role completely clear. Basically, they can make him into a younger Marcus Camby with a less-established offensive game (eventually). Since, Beal will be gone, it just makes sense for them.

I agree with your take. I think the Kings take Barnes or MKG, who ever slips to them. I think the Blazers will take BPA (which in Ford's scenario would be Drummond). That leaves the Warriors picking between Damian Lillard (the best rookie back-up PG in the game - not likely), Dion Waiters (I like Klay Thompson better), Jeremy Lamb (see Waiter parenthetical), Jared Sullinger (Lee - not likely) and Perry Jones (more value at 13 or later). I think Terrence Jones and Meyers Leonard are too early to even think about at 7. They are only options if the Dubs trade back, and given the likely available players, that is looking like the best option. After watching some film and about 100 college b-ball games this year, various articles and the opinions of you fine gentlemen, I'm firm in the MKG, Barnes or trade back camp. Luckily, the Warriors have people working on this that do a lot more research than I.:puke:

Some are insisting the Warriors would draft Waiters and move Klay to the 3. I'm no basketball expert, but I don't see Thompson having the athleticism to guard most small forwards.

For what it's worth, this is what Ford wrote about the Kings drafting Drummond:

Analysis: Drummond measured out very close to DeMarcus Cousins last weekend at the draft combine. If the Kings draft him, they would suddenly have a massive front line, adding Drummond's athleticism, rebounding and shot-blocking to Cousins' polished offensive game.

The Kings have not shied away in recent years from prioritizing talent over players with question marks; Drummond, who has a questionable motor, has such a high upside, I'm not sure they pass here, either. If they do, however, it's because they fell in love with UNC's John Henson and feel he's more mature and willing to blend.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some are insisting the Warriors would draft Waiters and move Klay to the 3. I'm no basketball expert, but I don't see Thompson having the athleticism to guard most small forwards.

For what it's worth, this is what Ford wrote about the Kings drafting Drummond:

Analysis: Drummond measured out very close to DeMarcus Cousins last weekend at the draft combine. If the Kings draft him, they would suddenly have a massive front line, adding Drummond's athleticism, rebounding and shot-blocking to Cousins' polished offensive game.

The Kings have not shied away in recent years from prioritizing talent over players with question marks; Drummond, who has a questionable motor, has such a high upside, I'm not sure they pass here, either. If they do, however, it's because they fell in love with UNC's John Henson and feel he's more mature and willing to blend.

This. Similar problem, younger team. Whether we like it or not, David Lee and Stephen Curry need great defenders around them (Hopefully, Bogut will remain healthy enough to be one of those). Klay's length will help defensively at the 2, but not the 3 (where they are all as tall/taller than him, and sometimes quicker). If someone wants Waiters, Lillard, Lamb or Perry Jones badly enough, they will call the Warriors.

Yes. No matter what the Kings will get better. A blind squirrel finds a nut every so often (I really hope they pick P-Jones). Enough Top 10 picks in a row, and they're bound to get good, no matter the revolving door at the coach's position and threats to move to Anaheim.

Last edited by a moderator: